Post Your Watches

Was watching (har) The Martian the other day- thought I spied this and then was proven right. Between this and Interstellar, looks like Hamilton is trying to out-Space Omega.

TheMartianHamiltonBelowZero.png

Except for the fact that the Omegas were actually NASA tested and went to the moon, where the Hamiltons are just dressed up and put in movies. And Omega certainly has them beat with the greyscale rainbow of special moon edition Speedmasters as of late.

Of course the Hamiltons are prefectly capable watches in their own right, they just don't have the actual space pedigree yet.

and thus cost about 1/10th of an omega :p

Oh yeah, there's that. I'm incredibly jaded by prices on watches at this point, so you might as well just assume I don't think like most people. One of my coworkers and I come to this realization every so often when we're looking at one of the watches that comes in and on more than one occasion have had conversations that go more or less like this:

"Oh, this one's nice, the dial is great and it fits me. I'd have this one. How much is it?"
"$58,000."
"Is that all? I figured it'd be more, nice."
"We aren't normal anymore, are we?"
"Were we ever?"

:lol:

Except for the fact that the Omegas were actually NASA tested and went to the moon, where the Hamiltons are just dressed up and put in movies. And Omega certainly has them beat with the greyscale rainbow of special moon edition Speedmasters as of late.

Of course the Hamiltons are prefectly capable watches in their own right, they just don't have the actual space pedigree yet.

I really like the dark side of the moon edition, and as nice as it was when trying it on, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of it unless I was fucking loaded. You can get something from Jaeger LeCoultre with a proper inhouse movement for that price... >_>

I really like the dark side of the moon edition, and as nice as it was when trying it on, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of it unless I was fucking loaded. You can get something from Jaeger LeCoultre with a proper inhouse movement for that price... >_>

Hmm... the 9300 in the Dark Side watch is in-house. It also features a Co-Axial escapement for the Daniels fans, and a silicon hairspring. Not to mention the case is a fancy ceramic material. You're not going to get those features from another brand at the price point really. JLC has a similar watch in the Deep Sea Chrono, but with the ceramic case it's something like $4-5k more than the Dark Side, and you only get a traditional hairspring and escapement and lose the date. The Co-axial setup Omega uses now isn't necessarily completely superior to a traditional Swiss lever, but it certainly has its merits and holds its own.

Frankly I think for the money that gets you the JLC you should instead get a Piaget Polo 45 chrono, then you get a superlight titanium case, in-house automatic chrono with flyback, a second timezone, and 3 day power reserve. Of course I work for Piaget so maybe I'm a bit biased there. :lol:

Hmm... the 9300 in the Dark Side watch is in-house. It also features a Co-Axial escapement for the Daniels fans, and a silicon hairspring. Not to mention the case is a fancy ceramic material. You're not going to get those features from another brand at the price point really. JLC has a similar watch in the Deep Sea Chrono, but with the ceramic case it's something like $4-5k more than the Dark Side, and you only get a traditional hairspring and escapement and lose the date. The Co-axial setup Omega uses now isn't necessarily completely superior to a traditional Swiss lever, but it certainly has its merits and holds its own.

Frankly I think for the money that gets you the JLC you should instead get a Piaget Polo 45 chrono, then you get a superlight titanium case, in-house automatic chrono with flyback, a second timezone, and 3 day power reserve. Of course I work for Piaget so maybe I'm a bit biased there. :lol:

I got myself a Speedmaster a couple of months ago so I wouldn't be looking into another one for my next watch. Right now I'm really drooling at the JLC Reverso's. They're just so damned fucking classy.

Oh I'm well aware. I just meant in the recent glut of space movies; Hamiltons have been front and center.

Except Gravity, Clooney's character had a speedy pro.

GravitySpeedy.jpg

On the subject of speedmasters, I'm still keeping an eye out for one of the aforementioned special editions:

either the 3570.40.00:

omega_017.jpg

or this one, the 3571.50 which I missed out on for 1500 bucks once :cry::wall::wall::

OmegaSpeedmasterGE999-05.jpg

Why is it special? The caseback.

OmegaSpeedmasterGE999-00.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered this:

I was actually looking for something more rugged as a "workshop" watch, but then a mechanical, single-arm, retro-Soviet (Belarusian, but curiously owned by a Swiss company) caught my eye and I had to impulse-buy it :lol:

They make it with the cursive cyrillic logo and text, as on the photo, but also with english text and plain latin typeface logo. Apparently it's a gamble which one arrives, I'm hoping for the "proper" logo ofc ;)

Last edited:
That's really cool. :thumbsup:
Matches the Seven in its simplicity.

It's heeeere!

I really like the scientific-gauge-like appearance, quite happy with the way it looks IRL. Obviously, being a single arm it's a bit of a novelty toy, but I'll have to use it for a while to decide if it annoys or pleases me :)

Not a fan of the stiff, shiny strap though, it has to go. Haven't decided what to replace it with, though.

Leather straps are usually stiff when new. Wear it a week or two and it will soften up and conform to your wrist just fine. The shininess will fade with wear as well, you could also get a slightly abrasive cloth and knock it down too.

Bought a cheap watch from the markets for my trip overseas earlier in the year. I wanted something simple, as all my other watches were too complicated to change time/time zones on, or have multiple dials in the face that I couldn't be bothered dealing with.
I think it was something like $29. The "dials" in the face are fake, so I only needed to pull the pin and change the time setting. I obviously liked the design.

While on the "Holyfuckingshit" Roadtrip, in Norway, we managed to smoke ourselves out of a grill hut and had to evacuate.
For whatever reason, I'd taken it off and put it on the bench next to me, then managed to knock it onto the ground (from about knee height), resulting in the glass cracking, and the hands falling off.
I was more upset than I expected by this development, as I'd grown quite fond of the watch by then, so I stuffed it into my suitcase, and brought it home.

I'd had many suggestions of "Throw it out, and buy another one the same. Repairs would cost more than it's worth" from various people who had seen it.
But I hadn't found one I liked, and did I really need a replacement? I have 4 others I can use for work.
I did notice the hour hand was still working (the only one that didn't fall off), so I pulled the pin to save the battery, and left it in my bag.

While wandering the market today during a break at work, I remembered it, and found a watch kiosk that did repairs, and asked for a quote, to sort out once and for all if I was going to repair it or bin it.

20 minutes and $20 later, my watch is as good as new!
12195949_10154801462192524_8516193543299439080_n.jpg

I'm down less money than I would have been to buy a new one, and now the watch has a cool story behind it as well, so I'm happy.

Last edited:
I would have kept it just because it was with me on the trip, so I can totally understand. :)

How do you like the Citizen vs. Seiko?
The biggest downside of the Citizen is really crappy lume; the Seiko blows it out of the water on that front. The Seiko's also a bit bigger and uses 22mm straps (as opposed to the Citizen's 20mm); apart from that, not much difference.