Preventing cartheft/breakins

^This works better(if you fancy carrying the wheel with you or you can stick it in the trunk and nobody will know):

DSCN5714.jpg

2087217550102890423S600x600Q85.jpg

I can vouch for this, as one of my good friends would take his wheel off whenever he got out of the car. Would you really want to steer with just the knuckle?

Also, I had an old maxima and that shit still got stolen

Get some NRA stickers.

Now he was unable to get hold of more stickers, so does anyone know where you can get authentic Hell's Angels stickers to put on your car ?

Well I doubt that sticker has actually stop anyone from breaking in to his car, but, might get you pulled over more. If your looking to get one its actually not that hard or that special. Pretty much if you walk in to any Motorcycle/Chopper shop they will be selling that, especially if its a HA ran shop. They do have other sticker that is suppose to be "special" but the support your local HA ones are not that hard to get.

I dont know if stickers actually stop some dumb ass from breaking in to your car, as most are not thinking whos car it is.

I left my car with the driver side window open parked on the left side of the street for 3 hours in the middle of Manhattan on a side street. Not even quarters were missing from the car...

Well I doubt that sticker has actually stop anyone from breaking in to his car, but, might get you pulled over more. If your looking to get one its actually not that hard or that special. Pretty much if you walk in to any Motorcycle/Chopper shop they will be selling that, especially if its a HA ran shop. They do have other sticker that is suppose to be "special" but the support your local HA ones are not that hard to get.

I dont know if stickers actually stop some dumb ass from breaking in to your car, as most are not thinking whos car it is.

Oh, there's a couple that work.

Prominently displayed on one side window in contrasting colors:

"NOTHING IN THIS CAR IS WORTH LOSING YOUR LIFE OVER."

In English and Spanish. Seems to work, especially if the vehicle also displays one or more stickers proclaiming your support for a firearms manufacturer.

Last edited:
Common tips are to leave the glove box open if its empty, that way no-body breaks in for the 'valuables' that aren't even there. If its full... tough sh!t! :lol:

My grand plan is to buy a steering lock for my prospective car, whether I can find one to fit a 1970s Triumph steering wheel is another matter, also a hidden fuel cut off switch, so even if they break in they can't go anywhere.
other than that I don't know, most cars I look at buying can be opened using a screwdriver anyway... then again not many people want to nick them!

(Having said that, there are a few cases of joy-riders breaking into cars, not getting them started so torching them instead, I'd prefer that not to happen. :()

^Better than in France where the person breaking in your car will try to torch it, and if it won't light, then they take it for a joyride. :p

1. Live in a place where you don't have to worry about it. This also goes with no leaving in a place where it's will be easy to break into without attracting attention.

2. Get to know the local people who may be associated with shady practice of vehicles- they won't go after one they know the owner of.

3. Don't leave something worth stealing visible.

Those seem to keep me happy.

titanium.jpg

Thieves simply don't bother when they see these. Allied to a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser it should protect you well enough. In Britain it's now more common for thieves to acquire the keys (burglary/mugging/jacking) which renders most security devices redundant. When I had a Subaru Impreza (obviously desirable) I also had a Clifford Blackjax immobiliser fitted, requiring a PIN code within 30s of entering the car, so even having the keys was useless. Even tracking devices are easily defeated as most rely on mobile phone GSM signals which are easily corrupted for little expense.

I've heard that the best combo to have to keep people from stealing your car/parts of your car is a really good alarm, a hidden fuel cutoff switch, wheel locks, and a removable steering wheel.

Even then, it takes all of 5 seconds with a hacksaw to defeat. :p

Or a wide-mouthed bolt-cutter...

I'm always worried about my car at work. Lots of cars get broken into, and my doors are pillarless. Super super super easy to break into...although...not as easy as my old soft-top jeep which WAS broken into. :p

Not to mention D_Fence's objection: Most groups with harsh membership requirements of any kind (from fraternities over biker clubs up until the bar or medical association) don't treat imposter's kindly.

Supporting a given MC does not mean you have to be a member. They are not going to label you an imposter or crucify you on the stake for saying you approve of their club.

Now.... a rival gang just might give you some bullshit for it, and that's not a threat I'd take lightly. But basically anyone can be a supporter. it's being a member that requires you to get your feet wet.

Even then, it takes all of 5 seconds with a hacksaw to defeat. :p

I'd like to see you go through a quality steering wheel lock with a hacksaw in 5 seconds..

I'd like to see you go through a quality steering wheel lock with a hacksaw in 5 seconds..

You don't go through the lock. You cut the steering wheel, which is mostly soft plastic with a tiny metal core that a good hacksaw will go through in a second.

And if you've got a couple of minutes undisturbed and don't want to use a hacksaw or bolt cutters, the lock on a Club is such crap that you can pick it in about 15-30 seconds or so.

In high-car-theft areas, the current SOP for car thieves is to steal the car and leave The Club on the ground where the car used to be.

Edit: Watch this lazy guy bypass a steering wheel lock in seconds:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/14266/test-drive-grand-theft-auto#s-p1-so-i0

Last edited:
He's right, the wheel is very flimsy really, deliberately so to prevent serious injury when you slam into it in a crash. Unfortunately that means it won't stand up to much abuse with any saw or cutter. Your average thief cares not a jot that they are destroying your property, wanting to just be away with the prize ASAP.

I remember my young cousin telling me about the ?1k of ICE he fitted in his first car, and when my wise old head commented it was a sitting duck for thieves he was convinced they couldn't easily remove it. I pointed out that if I wanted it I'd just use a stone saw and take out that part of the dashboard complete. Two days later that's exactly what happened ! ?1k of ICE gone, and another ?300 for replacing all the interior trim they destroyed in its swift removal.