Preventing cartheft/breakins

My Uncle used to have a Corvette that he always took the keys with him. My cousin would use a key that he modified to start it, like the jingle keys in that video.

My truck was broken into a couple weeks ago- screwdriver to the lock. They didn't even take anything. So now I have to go through the passenger side to unlock the door which sucks, and my insurance deductible is too high to cover the lock replacement (not that it would be a good idea to claim it anyhow). Sh*tty.

Best deterrents are an empty car and an alarm/immobilizer, neither of which I had at the time. And if you've got a GPS, clean off the suction cup ring.

My Uncle used to have a Corvette that he always took the keys with him. My cousin would use a key that he modified to start it, like the jingle keys in that video.

Depending on the year, all you really needed was a screwdriver and some hand strength because old GM locks were pretty much a joke.

This works extremely well for getting into vehicles:
IMG_4377.JPG

I legitimately and legally use it for opening locked server racks and computer cases where the keys have been lost, stolen or "not returned" by former employees or service providers. I wanted to find out how good it was when used against vehicles and it is bloody frightening. With the permission of my neighbors, I tried it on every car in the parking lot here. The only car I couldn't open with it was my XJR. I could get into most cars in about a minute. My own Nissan and the neighbor's F350 were the worst - I could get in them in 15 seconds.

No wonder the police want this thing banned. Thing is, though... your average thief isn't going to want to spend the time standing around picking the lock, they'll just smash the window or slimjim the door. Point is - even if you fit shatterproof film and slimjim blockers, people can still get into your car.

Last edited:
I've left my car (on more than one occasion) with the keys in the ignition for several hours while i was in class, accidentally of course but its always been fine.

The only thing im worried about is that my doors dont lock (actuator motors thingies are fried) so it would suck to have a thief break a window when he can just open the door and see how much stuff i dont have.

I don't carry anything of value in my car. I also have a cut off for the battery in the boot. Could someone get around it? Yes. But most people will give up after hot wiring fails. They will just assume the car is broken.

I don't carry anything of value in my car. I also have a cut off for the battery in the boot. Could someone get around it? Yes. But most people will give up after hot wiring fails. They will just assume the car is broken.

Which is only natural when talking about a British Leyland car with a rotary engine :lol:

Yep. :p

There is no way to prevent car theft. If someone wants your car bad enough, they'll load it up on a flat bed.

Hell I've heard of people hiring out tow truck drivers to essentially steal cars for them. Doubt it works well now but it wasn't so hard I guess back in the 70's and 80's.

That's the problem with old British cars, someone can just pick them up and walk away with them.

Hell I've heard of people hiring out tow truck drivers to essentially steal cars for them.

Not only that, but people are stealing those new tow-truck lifts (the ones that look like big crosses) and the trucks themselves.

I'd still steal it. Your car is tiny I bet I could push it in neutral. :lol:

Cars Over here are stolen for 2 reasons :

a: spare parts on the black market , as in any models we got lots off driving around
b: export to the former eastern block, mostley anything german

solution? buy something that's very rare over here, nobody wants and russian 'businesmen' puke on, and my stereo is worth about 5 bucks after many years of loyal service :p (works fine though)
I actualy leave the keys in it half the time.....

I can start my friend's malibu with my Jeep key. and visa versa :)

Good ol' GM Ignition switches.

Also, my car doesn't have door locks... or doors, or windows, or a roof. yah. It's all good.

A former Hell's Angel who reportedly has been riding with the Bandidos lately was killed in a drive-by shooting in Berlin last night.

Guys, don't don any supporter Badges these days. Just don't.

Last edited:
I kept a laminated paper in my car that I would put on the dashboard, it said something along the lines of

"THIS CAR EQUIPPED WITH ACTIVE ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM.
All Valuables Removed From Vehicle When Parked.
Vehicle equipped with theft-recovery devices, all parts etched with tracking numbers."

Even in the third highest auto-theft city per capita, my car was never stolen. I just stuck this sign on my dash when I left the car, the thieves in my area weren't so bright and just moved on to the next car rather than take the chance.

Last edited:
True, but it seemed to work for me.

Also, I drive a manual transmission, you'd be surprised what a deterrent that is.

Having one's own private surveillance system with obvious cameras and posted signs warning of instant armed response from the resident seems to help too.

Video1a.jpg

Gotta love IR cameras. :D

Last edited: