Project CARS

It amazes me that GT5's rendering engine, at it's best, still looks better than that. Technically inferior, yes, but so much prettier somehow. I cannot wait to see how good it will look on the PS4.

GT5 still looks great but pCARs is a whole new ball game dude.

GT5 looks "prettier" because it has an art style (big bloom, super glossy, etc). CARS has no art style. It is strictly photorealistic.

I know, I know. It still looks like Shift to me, just improved.

I installed the latest build yesterday, and it's more fun than I remember. I'm still completely and hopelessly bad at it, as with all racing games, but I really enjoy it. Even with the Xbox controller, it just feels so much more realistic than i would have expected. In fact, one awesome realism thing is actually almost jarring as I have trouble learning to expect it from a game: when in helmet view, you actually turn your head slightly to look ahead into a corner as you approach it. I kept thinking I was accidentally hitting the other joystick or that the game was flipping out.

Why do I have to feel like I have to have a G27 or nothing at all? And why does it have to be so god damn expensive?

Bought Full Member, downloading it soon, time to break out my cheapo wheel

OK, is there an inexpensive wheel anyone could recommend? I really want the force feedback and three pedal setup the G27 has, but I guess I could sacrifice one or the other if I had to.

OK, is there an inexpensive wheel anyone could recommend? I really want the force feedback and three pedal setup the G27 has, but I guess I could sacrifice one or the other if I had to.

I don't think an inexpensive three pedal exists. Go to two pedals, as above, and you can find quality wheels for not much money.

Go to two pedals, as above,

Sorry, I deleted my last post.

Here's the link again:
http://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...tion-3/dp/B00140R0XK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The other thing is: the force feedback isn't really force feedback, more the sort of vibration feedback you get with a DS3 controller.

It's a good point though, you're not going to find an inexpensive racing wheel that can do all the things that the G27 does. ^ That was the best I could find under my budget.

Driving Force GT or Driving Force Pro are very popular wheels even among the fastest guys in sim racing.

G27 though can be had for around $200 now if you look. Very good price for a very good wheel. Basically industry standard.

Just heard about this a couple days ago.

The general consensus is worth it to join? I like the looks, but hated Shift, so I'm a little uneasy about it since it's by the same studio.

Just got a Driving Force Pro on eBay for $42. Hopefully it will work properly and do well enough for my shitty driving.

If you're considering a DFP or DFGT, spring a little more and get the DFGT. The 1-inch larger diameter wheel makes quite a huge difference (along with the many additional features that the DFP doesn't have). Plus, the DFP was designed for Gran Turismo 4 and was launched with GT4: Prologue, while the DFGT was designed for GT5 and was launched with GT5: Prologue, so you're getting a wheel that's a good 5 years newer. ;)

Just heard about this a couple days ago.

The general consensus is worth it to join? I like the looks, but hated Shift, so I'm a little uneasy about it since it's by the same studio.

It's good, yeah. I wasted spent an entire evening with the DTM car and Hockenheim trying to perfect a qualifying setup :p. I mean it was 7pm and then 20 minutes later it was 1am!

If you're considering a DFP or DFGT, spring a little more and get the DFGT. The 1-inch larger diameter wheel makes quite a huge difference (along with the many additional features that the DFP doesn't have). Plus, the DFP was designed for Gran Turismo 4 and was launched with GT4: Prologue, while the DFGT was designed for GT5 and was launched with GT5: Prologue, so you're getting a wheel that's a good 5 years newer. ;)

Yeah, I as about to buy a refurbished GT, but then I saw the auction for the Pro - half the price and ending in five minutes. I figure this way I can make sure I actually want to have a wheel, and all the setup that goes with it, without spending much or having to buy crap.

My current wheel is kind of shitty, and it doesnt seem to calibrate well with the game, getting some full lock error with everything i try, i'm gonna have to look for a DFGT or some such, since the keyboard feels terrible...

Also with no aids on i can just about manage, but with the keyboard its impossible since youre on full throttle or no throttle, i will have to dial back and start from zero since this is so much more intense than any other game i've played.

The only dumbing down I have is auto trans and showing best line. I turned the AI down to 20, but unless they pretty much stay at the start they will always beat me. I seem to be almost entirely unable to learn a track so I'm always getting braking wrong, and I crash. A lot. A real lot.

Still fun though.

I havent played against any AI yet, its hard enough in free practice. I dont drive a manual at all irl and neither have i played any recent realistic sim to have that experience, i have to learn performance driving from scratch :p

Still fun to do it at home though, hopefully i can find a DFGT on the cheap

My current wheel is kind of shitty, and it doesnt seem to calibrate well with the game, getting some full lock error with everything i try, i'm gonna have to look for a DFGT or some such, since the keyboard feels terrible...

Also with no aids on i can just about manage, but with the keyboard its impossible since youre on full throttle or no throttle, i will have to dial back and start from zero since this is so much more intense than any other game i've played.

My G25 doesn't calibrate properly either. I have found that the only way to make it usable is to leave it completely uncalibrated.