"Prometheus": Ridley Scott's "Alien" prequel

Ridley Scott already said that the studio pressured them into shortening the movie. The director's cut, according to what he says, will be about 20 minutes longer and explain a lot of the unanswered questions.

This is why I wait for the DVD...

Not surprisng, going over the 2hr+ mark AND making it rated R really affects the ticket sales.

Avengers is one of those rare examples where it was god awful long, YET didn't feel that long AND was a box office sales smash despite the length.

Avengers seemed long the third time I saw it within 2 weeks.

I can definitely see myself watching a direct's cut of Prometheus once it comes out.

Anyone seen it?"

Any comments about the film, the story and the origin of the saga?

The movie left with with more questions than answers. And I personally don't think it answers how the Aliens were created. The "Deacon" is the first creature from where the aliens come from. But Prometheus happens in LV-223 whereas Alien happens in LV-426. And in Alien there's a dead "Engineer" in the Delerict ship whereas the "Engineers" in Prometheus all die outside the ship. This means that whatever happened in the Delerict ship in LV-426 is not told in Prometheus.

Last edited:
I was disappointed. The movie just seems incomplete....which it is, since 20 minutes were cut from it to fit into American cinema schedules for 3 airings a day. Will rewatch DC when it is out....

The movie left with with more questions than answers. And I personally don't think it answers how the Aliens were created. The "Deacon" is the first creature from where the aliens come from. But Prometheus happens in LV-223 whereas Alien happens in LV-426. And in Alien there's a dead "Engineer" in the Delerict ship whereas the "Engineers" in Prometheus all die outside the ship. This means that whatever happened in the Delerict ship in LV-426 is not told in Prometheus.

Correct.

But also remember that there are a lot more ships on LV-223, so it's possible that another engineer woke up and flew to LV-426. But what's more interesting to me is why was this engineer so stupid? As we saw, there were other ships on LV-223...so why didn't he just get to another one when the first one got destroyed and continued his mission (to destroy life on Earth?) and instead decided to chase the main character and try to kill her?

Because revenge.

I was disappointed. [...]
I wasn?t for once.

Saw it yesturday in the cinema (sadly german dub, but it was either that or wait for 2D dvd) and I was quite pleased with it all. For me a lot of the charme of what I consider the original Alien Franchise (AVP not included) is that not everything has to be explained and you can (sort of) make the rest up for yourself. Epic visuals, good cast, good delivery. Loved the occasional humor, and
the whole "meet your maker" "kill your parents" thing ... wich is quite a nice delivery for a phylosipohical dilemma in a SciFi& Action Movie.

"Prometheus": Ridley Scott's "Alien" prequel

Anyone seen it?"

Any comments about the film, the story and the origin of the saga?

Also the crashed Engineers ship in Alien was determined to have occurred a few thousand years before the events of that film.. which obviously means a few thousand years before the events of Prometheus as well

Ridley Scott already said that the studio pressured them into shortening the movie. The director's cut, according to what he says, will be about 20 minutes longer and explain a lot of the unanswered questions.

It would take more than 20 minutes to develop the fifty trillion characters in the movie. The movie would have been much better if they got rid of at least three of them.

Maybe he can explain why everyone was nonchalant about the surgery after it happened.

The direction was great, but the script was horrid.

Last edited:
I saw the Blu-ray version yesterday (I don't think it was the director's cut) and I was disappointed. The opening scenes were awesome and everything went downhill once the crew landed on the alien planet. The sheer amount of stupidity by the crew simply prevented any suspension of disbelief for me. The movie did have amazing visuals, but the script was just down right terrible.

This sums up my feelings about the movie quite well.

I saw the Blu-ray version yesterday (I don't think it was the director's cut) and I was disappointed. The opening scenes were awesome and everything went downhill once the crew landed on the alien planet. The sheer amount of stupidity by the crew simply prevented any suspension of disbelief for me. The movie did have amazing visuals, but the script was just down right terrible.

This sums up my feelings about the movie quite well.

Can't really argue with that... The level of stupidity bothered me so much it really hurt my ability to believe anything going on. I was really disappointed with Ridley but it's still an ok movie. Having watched it a second time made me realize just how much about it I didn't like and that's never good.

I'm beyond infuriated right now! I went out and bought the DVD version (don't have Blu-Ray player).

The DVD version is a single DVD with just 10 minutes of bonus scenes - no alternate opening or ending, no interviews, none of the 7 hours of extra footage that was advertised! What a rip off! I asked if I go out and buy the 4 disc collector edition - will I have those extra features on a DVD? Nope. Blu-Ray only!

So dear knuckle-heads from Fox, if you wonder why people pirate your movies - here is your reason why!!! I went out and purchased the DVD, was willing to spend even more in order to get the extra features, but you are just simply not offering this option!

Excerpt from the Prometheus bluray extras, an archived dictation from old man Weyland himself, shows a link between the future world of Prometheus and Scott's earlier scifi epic Blade Runner:

tEKt5.jpeg

"Mentor and long departed competitor" = Tyrell

"Pyramid overlooking the city of Angels" = His HQ building in Los Angeles

"Those genetic abominations he enslaved and sold off world" = Replicants