Qoros: first Chinese car to get a five-star euroncap rating

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Seems the Chinese is starting to figure things out. The Qoros was tested by EuroNCAP recently and performed really well, apparently.
I've liked the Qoros since I first saw pictures of it. It's the first serious attempt by a Chinese manufacturer to actually make a decent car.

Wonder how much it'll cost. I figure it won't be much less than a Korean car.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/qoros/3/528.aspx

Think this is old news, but whatever.

They are slowly closing the gap on the rest of the world, but they still have a long way to go, the crash test results are one small part of a vehicles appeal, how it drives, reliability, value, style and many other factors are equally as important to most buyers. The Koreans offer some genuinely good budget stuff nowadays, the Chinese will have to give their cars away to compete in export markets, although I suspect the Chinese state will subsidise these companies to ensure they can undercut competitors just to keep their factories busy.

I've a buddy who's worked on a fairly minor part of this car. Some interior design part. He tells me the build qualty is actually pretty good. It's not going to challenge the likes of your major Germans, but it is most definitely a good alternative to the Koreans.

Give China a decade and they will be competitive. Japanese cars once were rust buckets. Korea was selling a rebadged Morris Marina. Now these countries are a strong force in the car market. China looks to be following the same path.

Last edited:
Qoros development is headed by experienced western engineers from nearly all the premium car makers in Europe, they know what they're doing. The safety engineers are from SAAB, and Michiel van Ratingen of Euro-NCAP highlights that the Qoros 3 have earned the highest score for adult occupant protection (95%) of all cars tested so far during 2013. Not quite up there with the Volvo V40 though (98%) tested during 2012.

The owners (Israel Corp and Chery Automotive) aren't exactly strapped for cash either. If they just get a good dealer network in place I think we're looking at a success story on the horizon.

Last edited:
Give China a decade and they will be competitive. Japanese cars once were rust buckets. Korea was selling a rebadged Morris Marina. Now these countries are a strong force in the car market. China looks to be following the same path.

A decade ago we were saying "give them a decade", they've had it, in Europe we've seen the Landwind and Chery rubbish and still we're hearing "give them a decade". The Japanese and Korean industries have strengths that the Chinese lack, in my opinion.

A decade ago we were saying "give them a decade", they've had it, in Europe we've seen the Landwind and Chery rubbish and still we're hearing "give them a decade". The Japanese and Korean industries have strengths that the Chinese lack, in my opinion.

How long did it take for Japanese cars to become truly competitive?

I think now is when we can see the real leapfrog effect of advancement. If it weren't for the fact that modern automobile development cycles were 5+ years, I'd have said that 10 years is an overestimate. But, now that China has the appetite and money to back up an auto industry, progress should come quickly.

A decade ago, we were saying "give them a decade" about the Koreans. Have Chinese cars even been on sale in Europe for ten years, yet?

^ This. The Chinese simply don't have what it takes. At least not yet. They have all the money in the world but no expertise, and no trust in those that do (aka foreigners), even when they have invested in them.

A decade ago, we were saying "give them a decade" about the Koreans. Have Chinese cars even been on sale in Europe for ten years, yet?

Not in western Europe, Italy's Dr Motor is probably the most senior Chinese brand (since 2006, CDK kits re-assembled in Italy, loophole). They've been imported to the balkans for quite a while though, Serbia and such places which are not or until recently have not been a EU-member state.

How long did it take for Japanese cars to become truly competitive?

Or the korean manufacturers for that matter? I remember when they sold truly horrific sh**boxes in the 1980s and then fairly undesirable but functional cars in the 90s, to nondescript but perfectly driveable and reasonably reliable cars in the early 2000s....to their current evolution where they actually put out interesting and desirable products in some western markets.

So yeah, about 30 years. I would except Chinese make cars to really come into their own probably latter half of the next decade, like mid 2020s.