Feed The Beast: Quarry Locations

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
Before we utterly ruin the landscape with quarries, we should plan a bit.

I'm thinking it would be best if we either built them underground or agreed to use a filler to pave a couple layers deep over the top of it when done.

Once we're further along in technology, we can use Mystcraft to create new dimensions and go there to mine. For example we could create an all-lava world to pump lava out of. That will be much later in the game though.

I have been sticking to mining at layer 30 and below, not near anyone else, and using the OreQuarry turtle program which only mines every 3rd row (except that I accidentally seeded it with cobble instead of smooth stone one time. It's times like that I wish I were an admin and could use WorldEdit). I cover or block the vertical shaft the turtle digs so people can't fall in.

The mystcraft thing sounds interesting. That can be done without admin interaction?

I have been sticking to mining at layer 30 and below, not near anyone else, and using the OreQuarry turtle program which only mines every 3rd row (except that I accidentally seeded it with cobble instead of smooth stone one time. It's times like that I wish I were an admin and could use WorldEdit). I cover or block the vertical shaft the turtle digs so people can't fall in.

Yeah, I'm not worried about turtles using that program. It doesn't make a big hole in the ground that you can see from the surface. I'm just talking about quarries. I'm going to start using those as they are less maintenance.

The mystcraft thing sounds interesting. That can be done without admin interaction?

Yep. It's just a normal user-accessible mod:

You can start quarries underground too, although setting the markers is a little tricky. They keep their own chunks loaded, right?

You can start quarries underground too, although setting the markers is a little tricky.

Yeah, that's what I did on the Tekkit server. I left 3 blocks on top. I'll probably just do that again to avoid having a flat top when I'm done (from a filler).

They keep their own chunks loaded, right?

AFAIK they keep any chunk they are in loaded. Just gotta keep everything hooked up to it loaded too.

Before we utterly ruin the landscape with quarries, we should plan a bit.

I'm thinking it would be best if we either built them underground or agreed to use a filler to pave a couple layers deep over the top of it when done.

Once we're further along in technology, we can use Mystcraft to create new dimensions and go there to mine. For example we could create an all-lava world to pump lava out of. That will be much later in the game though.

I was thinking we keep heading eastfrom your base by about 1,000 blocks and just strip mine everything from there out. We can go in all other directions and have pretty landscape then :)

But it isn't my call after all, it has to be a group descision.

I was thinking we keep heading eastfrom your base by about 1,000 blocks and just strip mine everything from there out. We can go in all other directions and have pretty landscape then :)

But it isn't my call after all, it has to be a group descision.

That's fine, but that'll require having the materials to make tesseracts to teleport energy and blocks out there and back. That's sorta end game.

For now I guess we'll just stick to underground quarries.

We no have a turtle charging station @ the windmill! (don't use up all of the lava in generator!!!)

tried to make OreQuarry to see how much of fuel it uses, got no results of some weird issue with bedrock (and no coal in the slots).

so we (me and tobzzen) did a "Excavate 8 60" command to see how much fuel it would use.
after eon of watching it do its thing, here are the results:
- started fuel level: 5121
- end fuel level: 1103
- mined blocks: 3529
- fuel used: 4018
- that makes it 1,13 fuel/mine

But since this way it doesn't count the movements to empty its inventory and to resume, we can "maybe" assume 2 fuel per move/work.

We no have a turtle charging station @ the windmill! (don't use up all of the lava in generator!!!)

tried to make OreQuarry to see how much of fuel it uses, got no results of some weird issue with bedrock (and no coal in the slots).

so we (me and tobzzen) did a "Excavate 8 60" command to see how much fuel it would use.
after eon of watching it do its thing, here are the results:
- started fuel level: 5121
- end fuel level: 1103
- mined blocks: 3529
- fuel used: 4018
- that makes it 1,13 fuel/mine

But since this way it doesn't count the movements to empty its inventory and to resume, we can "maybe" assume 2 fuel per move/work.

I can probably modify the program to record how much fuel it's using if you'd like an accurate measurement. I am already itching to write remote monitoring capabilities.

if you don't mind, plz do it :D