Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

leadfoot13

Car(s)
2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

It is always amazing to see polls like this, it is so amazing that I hope that the poll was erred in some manner.

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

It is always amazing to see polls like this, it is so amazing that I hope that the poll was erred in some manner.

3,000 is a pretty small number even for a poll. I doubt this poll is anywhere near accurate. It looks staged to grab attention.

In other news, 98% of Britons think Tony Blair was a myth, until it was discovered after some confusion that it was merely "wishful thinking" instead.

3,000 is a pretty small number even for a poll. I doubt this poll is anywhere near accurate. It looks staged to grab attention.

I also think it's a reflection on the type of people tuning into UKTV Gold :p

^My thoughts exactly, it's biased because they only surveyed their audience. So it only shows that a lot of their viewers are dumbasses.

Doesn't surprise me, a large number of British people probraly aren't aware there was a world war let alone that Churchill existed...

Doesn't surprise me, a large number of British people probraly aren't aware there was a world war let alone that Churchill existed...
I'm amazed someone would even say that. How the fuck does one not know about WW2 when you live anywhere, little less Europe herself :blink:

(not directed at you, but the people you were talking about)

Last edited:
And Churchill was voted the Greatest Briton by the public, no? :lmao:

I'm amazed someone would even say that. How the fuck do you not know about WW2 when you live anywhere, little less Europe herself :blink:

Go to Britain and ask some young people, aged 16-20 about the holocaust, Hitler or D-Day and see what kind of response you get.

These people are unfortunately the future generation of our country and yet know bugger all about the past.

Go to Britain and ask some young people, aged 16-20 about the holocaust, Hitler or D-Day and see what kind of response you get.

These people are unfortunately the future generation of our country and yet know bugger all about the past.
I could understand this level of ignorance in countries like America or Canada, but how the shit could someone be this dumb in ENGLAND. FFS this is warping my mind. I didn't think people could be that dumb...

^ Yeah, I find it hard to believe as well. Do you have any sort of evidence for these claims vRS? Given England's role in WWI and II, it's hard to believe these kids at least haven't heard a mention from parents and grandparents who lived through it.

Huh, and here I was thinking British people were smarter. Guess it is just the accent that makes them sound smarter. Who would have thought? :lol:

And what was their sample in this "poll"? Toddlers, some homeless crack addicts? Was this poll conducted at 6PM when everyone was sitting down to dinner?

Mind you, it doesn't surprise me that this occurs judging by some of the interviews I've seen.

I could understand this level of ignorance in countries like America or Canada...

I couldn't. Most Americans and Canadians aren't dumb. Even those with only a high school education know of WW2. Hell every other week someone releases another WW2 themed game or movie.

I couldn't. Most Americans and Canadians aren't dumb. Even those with only a high school education know of WW2. Hell every other week someone releases another WW2 themed game or movie.
The point was more that we were so far removed from the harsh reality that faced the Europeans that we may not have as many remnants or stories here at home than they might.

Well you could say that Churchill was a myth - he is presented as a great leader etc. but he proved himself to be pretty incompetent earlier (WWI) for instance.
/Sorry to all who might be offended, its just my opinon.

I suppose the people thought the question was "was Churchill as great as he was made up to be".

Well you could say that Churchill was a myth - he is presented as a great leader etc. but he proved himself to be pretty incompetent earlier (WWI) for instance.
/Sorry to all who might be offended, its just my opinon.

Most people know that he was pretty incompetent in his earlier roles and lead thousands of men to their deaths at places like Gallipoli