Question regarding CAIs

sgb33f

Hello all,
got a question abt cold air intakes, particularly the tubing from filter to throttle body.

i have been looking arnd for cold air intakes that are cost effective (aem, k&n, FRAM, hurricane, etc etc) and they all appear (even short rams) to use metal tubings.
i've been wondering if any of you guys have witnessed or have done a CAI w/ heat resistant rubber/silicone tubing instead.

to me:
1)it gives me greater flexibility on where i locate the filter,
2)it's lighter than metal tubing, abt just as durable methinks for the task at hand and
3)it's more cost effective.

any thoughts?

my first GTX (god rest her soul) had metal dryer tubing going from the MAF to the lower part of the front bumper to get more cold air so i don't see why silicone tubing wouldn't work.

Doesn't the metal surface allow more more airflow than a silicone one?

The tubing needs to be rigid, else the partial vacuum generated by the engine will collapse it.

^^ What he said. Any rubber tubing that won't collapse under the vacuum will be more expensive and heavier than the aluminum tubing usually used.

-Justin

well... i have a 1.6 engine... not much strength is needed for it. if it's a turbo wrx, then yes, i'd say metal would be needed. sorry, left out that little bit of info

Even disregarding the suction, any silicone tubing of sufficient diameter to provide airflow meeting or exceeding the stock induction will be more expensive than aluminum.

The solicone couplers were the most expensive part of my intercooling plumbing. I could have bought 3' lenghts of stainless or aluminum tubing for the price I was paying for a 3" silicone coupler.

-Justin

What car are you talking about here? Installing a CAI might be doing more harm than good.

Rubber or silicone is fine, so long as its not resting on the rad/headers/block, and don't use anything as thin as dryer ducting. Keep in mind any MAF sensors that might need to be replaced or reloacated, or its going to wreak havoc.

subbie 1.6i (TS)
have been thinking out loud, and a couple of subbie bros told me that the preferred setup is a cold air scoop w/ flexible tubing hooked up straight to the airbox, hence having cold air (and ram air at hi speed).
the flexible tubing is heat resistant silicone, so i'm good,
thanks guys!