R12 vs R134 Condensors

syncview

Car(s)
Suzuki Alto...yayyy!
Hi

i have been looking around online for solid information regarding my question but couldn't get some..

anyway, in the old days the R12 system had this kind of condensers:

T2.ehgXd0MXXXXXXXX_!!683849445.jpg

now almost all of the vehicles with R134 systems have these condensers - AKA parallel flow condensers:

3bothc.JPG

Problem is, that most of the AC parts suppliers here do not bother about such details and only sell the older style of condensers saying that they are usable with both refrigerants.. in case of an old car, one has to retrofit as OE parts are not available here. It is rare to find PF condensers and mostly the sizes do not match..

Anyways, question #1 is, will an R134 system perform optimally with the older style of condensers (shown in the first pic)?

Q#2 - will an old R12 system work good if only the condenser is changed to parallel flow - using R12? (assuming all other components are good?) - rephrasing: will R12 cool good enough with the parallel flow condenser?

would appreciate any input

thanks in advance :D

When I had my 1993 f150 flareside, I had the a/c converted. It had the original condenser and a/c parts. Worked really well. I admit the dryer should have been replaced but, the shop never did it and I didn't have problems with it.

Anyways, question #1 is, will an R134 system perform optimally with the older style of condensers (shown in the first pic)?

No. You *will* lose cooling efficiency.

Q#2 - will an old R12 system work good if only the condenser is changed to parallel flow - using R12? (assuming all other components are good?) - rephrasing: will R12 cool good enough with the parallel flow condenser?

would appreciate any input

thanks in advance :D

Parallel flow is a boost to any system. R134a is a much less efficient refrigerant than R12, so it needs a more efficient condenser to return the same performance as R12 does. Retrofitting an R12 system with a parallel flow condenser will only improve its efficiency and capacity.

No. You *will* lose cooling efficiency.

Parallel flow is a boost to any system. R134a is a much less efficient refrigerant than R12, so it needs a more efficient condenser to return the same performance as R12 does. Retrofitting an R12 system with a parallel flow condenser will only improve its efficiency and capacity.

One more question, this is regarding compressor/refrigerant oil

when it should be added to the system?

individually to different parts, as in some to compressor, some to evap, condensor and then check for leaks, pull vacuum and charge refrigerant?

or

after leak testing and vacuum pulling?

The former, unless your manual says otherwise for a specific car.

Be careful not to exceed the total amount of oil specified by the manufacturer as being required by the system. Also, some compressors come pre-loaded with oil, so consult the manual for how much you have left to play with if this is the case.

also, the more I read on this matter, it gets confusing = is the compressor oil different from the refrigerant oil? or they are one and the same thing and has to be decided with regard to the refrigerant going to be used in the system?

also, the more I read on this matter, it gets confusing = is the compressor oil different from the refrigerant oil? or they are one and the same thing and has to be decided with regard to the refrigerant going to be used in the system?

In most cases they are the same (so the latter case) but there are a few that use a separate oil supply. Again, consult the manual.