Rampant sexism?

diti

Car(s)
Mini Cooper S Convertible & GT6
I've just noticed this letter in the Radio Times from last week, referring to some comments from James in their interview for the first "Toy Stories".

"ANYTHING YOU CAN DO
So "the point of being a man" is to "be able to have a go at anything"? Well, James May (RT, 24 October) the point of being a woman is to have a go at anything too...including sexist blokes!
(Sandra from Birmingham)"

Were James' comments sexist? Is TG sexist? (Do bears take Charmin to the woods? Do we girlies love it like that? Does anyone care?)

I can't track down the original article, but this from the Times seems to contain the salient points:

?I don?t like this notion that we all somehow have a feminine side,? the TV presenter James May, who worries that the term ?blokiness? has become debased, told the Radio Times last week.

?Blokiness?, claimed May, who is best known for his presenting role on the BBC motoring show Top Gear, alongside Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond, ?has come to mean a sort of supposedly endearing hopelessness, and I think blokes are doing themselves a bit of a disservice. Because I think the point of being a man is that you?re supposed to be dependable and you should be able to have a go at anything. And that includes things that we have now decided are on the girly side, like cooking or reading the poetry of WB Yeats.?

Yeah, that's not sexist at all.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7Hh5PzELo[/YOUTUBE]

Also, who cares.

considering that teh both target audiences were primarily male I think any "blokey" comments made were adequate. I have found that the people that scream prejudice are those that prejudice and attention seeking themselves. They haven't been well versed in the art of proper audience targeting in speech and writing. so, sexist, maybe, but it all depends on the intended audience. Personally, it was most likely taken out of context or misunderstood.

I like a man that does manly stuff. (looks manly, talks manly, walks manly, eats manly, acts manly, works manly, thinks manly)

(even when I can do the same stuff, somehow it is not the same)

Go James. Forget those silly women that are not secure in who they are and would rather make themselves a victim than enjoy men being men.

Oh yeah, Tobias, you can feel free to skip over this as I doubt you qualify anyway.

Last edited:
You know, if you think of it, the constant victim mentality just kills your own self esteem, Sandra from Birmingham. Saying men should be willing to have a go at anything doesn't mean women can't do the same thing.

Not directed to the OP but to the radio times/Sandra from Birmingham

motivator28c1a00456be3f7ef21993f3b7.jpg

I think there's some post-sexism thing going on these days where people make outrageously sexist comments that they don't actually mean, purely for the humour/shock value; i.e.:

Q: why did the woman cross the road?
A: who has a road in their kitchen? blah, blah, blah...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY7Hh5PzELo[/YOUTUBE]

Also, who cares.

This is actually the first thing I thought of reading the OP :lol:

also I will add, If you want to know why top gear would focus on men over women, scroll down to the bottom of the main forum page and compare pink usernames to the red ones. Currently 66 members online, 4 pink. You know why they have pink usernames here? Because there are so few girls they assume you are a boy automatically.

Oh God, there we go again. We have had this discussion a dozen times before. Why a new thread? :cry: