Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

silly question, maybe some Yurops can give me some insight here (cars aren't so meticulously specced in the US of Fuck yeah)

It used to be common that people would order cars here, it sort of sucks that over the last few years, domestic carmakers have caught on that we Americans are a impulsive sort and are willing to get a car right away that's not perfect (or spend a shitload on "options packages" to get the one thing you want...like a sunroof...as long as you can drive away today!) so they've reduced the amount of "buildable combinations" on offer. While it's certainly possible to custom order, in some cases it's not worth it unless you want something like a specific color the options are so packaged...

Toyota/Lexus won't let you do a custom order at all, as each region in the US gets to specify their own options and feature set. That's why no Corolla in the mid-atlantic region where I live can come with alloys besides the "sporty" S trim. The rental Corolla with a Florida licence plate had them and was an LE trim car. If you can convince your dealer to put your configuration in their request list then maybe...but you're still stuck with what the region offers IIRC....at least that's what I gathered from lurking on forums.

Dunno about Honda, Hyundai and Kia or Nissan.

I'll custom order my next car for sure, just so I can say I've gotten exactly what I wanted...it's a cool thing IMO.

That has more to do with the way Toyota's US distribution network is set up, though. They gave almost all power to regional distributors long ago, resulting in weirdness like that.

When speccing a car, given you have chosen the make/model/engine you like, and you have the following

- satnav
- decent stereo wth aux in or USB hole
- leather seats
- blue teeth

Are there other "essentials" that I'm forgetting?
My list would have to be something like:
-A/C, preferably climate control
-Electric windows, mirrors
-iPod/aux in, my car doesn't have it but I can get it with a $15 cable from eBay.
-Bluetooth is also nice to have
-Cruise control, the only option I don't have on my current car which would be really appreciated
-Leather, its one of those things that makes you feel special when you drive

I don't really see the point in built in sat nav. The fact that it usually costs something ridiculous like $2000+ when you can buy a TomTom from a shop for $150 just makes it seem a stupid box to tick in my mind.

Reversing cameras are nice on big cars or cars with poor rear visibility.

Seat heaters are a bit pointless in Australia, but cooling would be a lovely thing to have, especially with leather on hot days.

silly question, maybe some Yurops can give me some insight here (cars aren't so meticulously specced in the US of Fuck yeah)

When speccing a car, given you have chosen the make/model/engine you like, and you have the following

- satnav
- decent stereo wth aux in or USB hole
- leather seats
- blue teeth

What possibly could you want more as a 'must have'???

What is needed:

4/5 doors (when possible)
Climate control, or at least A/C.
Decent stereo
Electric windows
Leather steering wheel

What is nice, but not vital:

USB line-in
electric rearview mirrors
a -good- stereo
Xenon lights

Things NOT to have, unless in a rented car:

sat-nav. You can get the same for 300 euro instead of 1.500.

I'd rather have a more powerful engine than many options.

I considered aircon and cruise control as standard options, so I guess I'm not that far off from being right, reading the replies here

heated seats are for GIRLS btw!
I also don't really get why auto lights/rain sensors are that essential... In my experience it's just a button to push, and I like being in control

The thing with rain sensors, is that it automatically adjusts wiper speed to the amount of rain thatis falling. I always had the problem that the intermittent wiper speed was either too fast, or too slow, and in the case of too slow, the on was too fast. Rain sensor fixes this. And before someone mentions it, adjustable speed wipers don't work, because you just keep fiddling with it.

^well we'll have to agree to disagree, I hate sensors because they're always too slow or too fast. Manual fiddling FTW

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/04/06/Sunday_Drive_Kiwi_Style_19_by_kiwipix.jpg

for Kajun and ze other dicovery drivers

So a coworker of mine thought of something funny.

Get a Prius, remove the exhaust all the way to the headers so that, when you get above 30mph, the engine all in a sudden kicks in with the freakishly loud noise. It'd be funny driving up next to someone, you stare at them, and then put your foot down.:mrgreen:

So a coworker of mine thought of something funny.

Get a Prius, remove the exhaust all the way to the headers so that, when you get above 30mph, the engine all in a sudden kicks in with the freakishly loud noise. It'd be funny driving up next to someone, you stare at them, and then put your foot down.:mrgreen:
:| the worlds most annoying car ... made a whole lot more annoying ...

great idea. <_<

My list would have to be something like:
-A/C, preferably climate control
-Electric windows, mirrors
-iPod/aux in, my car doesn't have it but I can get it with a $15 cable from eBay.
-Bluetooth is also nice to have
-Cruise control, the only option I don't have on my current car which would be really appreciated
-Leather, its one of those things that makes you feel special when you drive
The first option that I would have is a second arm rest for the driver on the central console (sounds like a no-brainer but a lot of manufacurers still sell them as an option - BMW, I?m looking at you!), right before cruise-control, followed by an A/C and bluetooth-compatibility(free-hands-phone-blabla). Leather is quite a few steps down on my personal list, as long as the non-leather upolstery isn?t too bad. Rear parking sensors are a option that I would also take. A power socket in the boot for a Thermoelectric cooler is also nice to have ...
I don't really see the point in built in sat nav. The fact that it usually costs something ridiculous like $2000+ when you can buy a TomTom from a shop for $150 just makes it seem a stupid box to tick in my mind.
From a economical view, build in systems really make so sense, that?s true. But it?s nice to have everything build well and working together. A (cheap) tom-tom doesn?t come with a free-hands phone usability, doesn?t play my mp3 from the steeringwheel-controls nor does it come with voice-control or have a rear-view camera that helps me park ... If you just want navigation, something like a TomTom is a good and cheap solution. Want lots of functions comfy available and well build in? Build-in system.

Seat heaters are a bit pointless in Australia[...]
Perhaps the most stupid option I can think of for me. Even on the coldest day I?ve ever experienced, have I never had the thought "oh I wish I could have spend more money on my car, just that my ass would be warm before the heater starts working". I haz heater/aircon ... don?t need warm ass.

The thing with rain sensors, is that it automatically adjusts wiper speed to the amount of rain thatis falling. I always had the problem that the intermittent wiper speed was either too fast, or too slow, and in the case of too slow, the on was too fast. Rain sensor fixes this. And before someone mentions it, adjustable speed wipers don't work, because you just keep fiddling with it.

I've got rain sensors in the Astra. While they often work alright, they sometimes fail badly. Either it's wiping like crazy in a light mist, or it doesn't wipe at all when I can't see shit.

The Octavia solves this problem very nicely, and in a simple, cheap way: There is a knob on the wiper stick that lets me adjust the interval... from one wipe every 30ish seconds to one second of pause between the wipes. That nicely bridges the gap between a single wipe and continuous slow wiping.

Interrobang: Butt warmers > *

I'm an oddball, but that aint nothing new.

It's confusing that 'car' people are always going on about how cars have gotten to bulky and heavy, yet heated seats, leather and automatic everything are considered 'essential options' these days.....

I hate heat, so aircon is a must, cruise control because my leg starts hurting like all hell on long drives whithout, and a proper stereo.....'essential' list done.

Well my mechanic's professional opinion is that I should be looking for replacement cars. :|

If I were to go car shopping today...my requirements would be:

Alloy wheels
Cloth Seats
Power Windows/Locks/Mirrors
Auto climate control
Black/beige two-tone interior (or beige in general) - Haters gonna hate...whatever...I need this. :p
uplevel audio system w/Aux jack for phone/mp3 player
Bluetooth would be nice

Would be nice:
Sunroof
Manual transmission

Well my mechanic's professional opinion is that I should be looking for replacement cars. :|

Yikes, second opinion possible? If you agree with your mechanic, do you have an idea of what to shop for next?

I know it's on the way out. It's one big thing away from being totaled and I think the transmission is on the way out, so this was rather expected. It's not dead yet but if I trade it in now I can actually get some money for it.

There is the manner of sensible vs. I am an idiot and want a toy to deal with on the replacement...

A couple problems with that. One it is a convertible, and I am pretty much allergic to sunlight, two I live on a hill so steep the freaking plows skid out occasionally in bad weather (which we have had a lot of lately) and I am pretty sure you can't even do the sand bag in the trunk trick with the lack of trunk. :(