Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Stop reminding me how much I hate owning a convertible now <_<

30 years old with an 8 year old Honda.
Liability only or something?

I'm older with older cars that are more than $200/year, but do have full coverage. Belive my '93 Coupe is running about $460/year.

It is key to have a 2nd car when owning a convertible, especially after that convertible is over 5-6 years old.

Or, make sure you own the right convertible. :p (in before the Miata crowds)

Owning a 'vert is only ideal in one particular region: Southern California.

Did you say Miata?

Califormiarbe1.jpg

225501_3_full.jpg

:mrgreen:

Says the motorcycle owner :mrgreen: (no, I don't want to open that can of worms again). And anyway, I'm plugging my own car rather than that [tongue-in-cheek]floppy-chassised, iron-engined, overweight MGB photocopy [/tongue-in-cheek].

Says the motorcycle owner :mrgreen: (no, I don't want to open that can of worms again). And anyway, I'm plugging my own car rather than that [tongue-in-cheek]floppy-chassised, iron-engined, overweight MGB photocopy [/tongue-in-cheek].

Actually, the Miata seems to result in an abnormal number of roll-over casualties from what I've read.

I will be responding to that last comment narf left in the not too distant future - but we motorcyclists usually don't have to be worried about being crushed by the ton and a half of metal and plastic we're strapped to when it rolls over. :D

And (most) of us wear specialized armored clothing and helmets - something people in convertibles don't do unless they are on the track.

If I bought a miata I would REMOVE the soft top and bolt the hard top on permanently. The miata being a convertible is a huge strike against it from my perspective, and I would actually rather have an MR2 because those come in not convertible.

Actually, the Miata seems to result in an abnormal number of roll-over casualties from what I've read.

I will be responding to that last comment narf left in the not too distant future - but we motorcyclists usually don't have to be worried about being crushed by the ton and a half of metal and plastic we're strapped to when it rolls over. :D

That is actually something my car does BETTER than a miata.

I still prefer a proper roof.

Yup, and that is an excellent idea for the Miata.

Except almost nobody fits them. Most superstructure bars on Miatas are those so-called 'style bars' which do zilch to protect you in a rollover. Some call the style bars 'double-gay bars' while the real rollbars (like the one you pictured) are 'anti-gay bars.'

I still prefer a proper roof.

I still miss the T-tops on my old Nissan Z31. Those were awesome, could get them mounted and dismounted faster than any convertible top and you had almost all the benefits of a convertible with few of the worries.

Last edited:
I can see those pop-up headrests taking my head clean off in a crash. I'm tall enough that my head could snap back over the top of the headrest before it deploys.

I can see those pop-up headrests taking my head clean off in a crash. I'm tall enough that my head could snap back over the top of the headrest before it deploys.

You should adjust your head rest to fit your height before setting off. If it pops up then it starts off at the correct height.

You should adjust your head rest to fit your height before setting off. If it pops up then it starts off at the correct height.

Except that because of that popup system, the rear seat headrests aren't significantly adjustable on that car, IIRC.

In that case the rear seats would have a height limit on them, and he'd be miles over it.

So, in other words, the back seat of a Beetle convertible is only suitable for children and dwarves. :p