Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

>implying it works :p
They work. When I got hit they deployed along with the passenger air bag.
I can see those pop-up headrests taking my head clean off in a crash. I'm tall enough that my head could snap back over the top of the headrest before it deploys.
So, in other words, the back seat of a Beetle convertible is only suitable for children and dwarves. :p
Pretty much. If your head is over the headrest you won't fit with the roof up.

So, in other words, the back seat of a Beetle convertible is only suitable for children and dwarves. :p

Yes. Surprised? It's not like a very tall person would fit in the back without chopping off some limbs first anyways.

After all, you would not ride your motorbike with a helmet that did not fit your head, right?

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/07/12/vlcsnap-2011-07-13-00h38m20s197.png

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/07/12/vlcsnap-2011-07-13-00h38m50s223.png

:lol: Jeremy loved its hardtop sister, apparently.

[video=youtube;j-nkA9WEWJ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nkA9WEWJ4[/video]

Yes, but this is the most common type of scene with those Beetle convertibles:

jessica-lowndes-and-vw-beetle-convertible-gallery.jpg

Lady in the back seat's going to be in for a surprise if the airbags go off. Briefly.

She does fit and there's no warnings in the back about the explosively-deploying headrests or "you can be no taller than this" sign to keep people out.

Last edited:
She does fit and there's no warnings in the back about the explosively-deploying headrests or "you can be no taller than this" sign to keep people out.

Every driver is taught in driving school to make sure the headrests fit to the head. The front passengers would get serious whiplash in a rear-end collision as well.

Also, it's not fitted with explosives.

Every driver is taught in driving school to make sure the headrests fit to the head. The front passengers would get serious whiplash in a rear-end collision as well.

I bet I could find plenty of VW Beetle convertibles tooling around in Germany with 'improperly sized' rear seat passengers.

Also, it's not fitted with explosives.

Well, those rear seat headrests are either pyrotechnic or spring powered, I don't recall which. They also have pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners.

Pyrotechnic = AN EXPLOSIVE.

I bet I could find plenty of VW Beetle convertibles tooling around in Germany with 'improperly sized' rear seat passengers.

What's your point? Not every German follows every rule? Woooow.

Also, good luck finding "plenty of VW Beetle convertibles tooling around in Germany" full stop. We didn't buy them in large numbers, only Americans did.

Well, those rear seat headrests are either pyrotechnic or spring powered, I don't recall which. They also have pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners. Pyrotechnic = AN EXPLOSIVE.

We were talking about headrests, not seat belt pretensioners. I'm sure the operating manual informs the drivers about the intricacies of either system.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/07/12/beetle.png

Last edited:
Most of those devices I've seen are pyrotechnically powered (and therefore are single shot only) - notably the Volvo C70 and Jaguar XKs. But even spring-loaded, they're still bloody dangerous and scarcely slower than an pyro-powered one. 0.25 seconds to full deployment isn't much slower than an airbag.

Also, my point is that driving school or not, most people don't actually adjust their headrests properly either here or (from my observations during trips there) in Germany, so perhaps the makers should, you know, not use the headrests as rapid deployment ROPS.

Last edited:
Most of those devices I've seen are pyrotechnically powered (and therefore are single shot only) - notably the Volvo C70 and Jaguar XKs. But even spring-loaded, they're still bloody dangerous and scarcely slower than an pyro-powered one. 0.25 seconds to full deployment isn't much slower than an airbag.

This system can be pushed down manually and re-used.

Also, it is roughly ten times slower than an airbag deployment. Idunno about you, but to me ten times slower is much slower.

Also, my point is that driving school or not, most people don't actually adjust their headrests properly either here or (from my observations during trips there) in Germany, so perhaps the makers should, you know, not use the headrests as rapid deployment ROPS.

Not adjusting your headrest is dangerous. Not because of rollovers but because of rear-end collisions. Most people do not drive a convertible, and even in a convertible many do not use the headrests as rollover protection. However, in all those cars a simple rear-end collision may snap your neck if your headrest is not adjusted properly.
This is much more likely to cause harm than any headrest deployed in a rollover scenario, both due to the likelihood of rear-end collisions and due to applying to every car, not just convertibles with deployable headrests.

This system can be pushed down manually and re-used.

Also, it is roughly ten times slower than an airbag deployment. Idunno about you, but to me ten times slower is much slower.

Multi-stage airbags can take as much as .1 second to fully deploy. .25 isn't too far off from that.

The originals went off in .06, but those have proven to be too violent in many cases. Even the new 'softer' bags aren't exactly all that safe.

Not adjusting your headrest is dangerous. Not because of rollovers but because of rear-end collisions. Most people do not drive a convertible, and even in a convertible many do not use the headrests as rollover protection. However, in all those cars a simple rear-end collision may snap your neck if your headrest is not adjusted properly.
This is much more likely to cause harm than any headrest deployed in a rollover scenario, both due to the likelihood of rear-end collisions and due to applying to every car, not just convertibles with deployable headrests.

Much depends on where the head is in relation to the headrest. I often see people in the back of VW convertibles resting the nape of their neck on the headrest... right where that ROPS headrest will slam up if there's a malfunction or problem - or an accident.

I don't see VW advertising that only children or dwarves should be seated in the back of their car.

Last edited:
Multi-stage airbags can take as much as .1 second to fully deploy. .25 isn't too far off from that.

The originals went off in .06, but those have proven to be too violent in many cases. Even the new 'softer' bags aren't exactly all that safe.

Depending on what you consider fully inflated you're looking at 25 to 35ms after triggering the charge. That's considerably faster than .06s and much much much much faster than .25s. In fact, roughly ten times faster. You need to distinguish between the time it takes from triggering the charge to inflation and the time it takes from detecting the crash to full inflation. Some systems even delay the inflation to have it inflated at the correct time. Too fast and it'll deflate before the occupant hits it. Too slow and ... well, yeah.

Much depends on where the head is in relation to the headrest. I often see people in the back of VW convertibles resting the nape of their neck on the headrest... right where that ROPS headrest will slam up if there's a malfunction or problem - or an accident.

Maybe. I'd say a thousand times as many injuries are caused by this behavior from rear-end collisions as there are injuries caused by the popup headrest. That's just a guess, I have no numbers on that.

I don't see VW advertising that only children or dwarves should be seated in the back of their car.

You're asking for even more health and safety stickers?

New vehicle update: Dealer X has told me the first one I wanted became unavailable for some unknown reason so they have calls into 2 other dealers to try and secure another one. Hopefully I will be able to take delivery before the end of the week.

What's wrong with just having the factory build the vehicle to your specification for you specifically?

Timing. That usually results in a six to eight week lead time and I just don't have that much time.

Just a few more instances of "oops, we sold your car to someone else who paid more" and it'd be faster from the factory :tease:

Considering the fact I will end up with a broken nose and possibly shrapnel from my glasses imbedded in my face if I have the misfortune of being in a crash that deploys my airbag which I legally cannot turn off, why is anyone surprised that the car makers don't give a shit about tall people in the rear seats? They don't care about short people in the front ones.

Also did I mention that my car had a recall for "overly forceful airbag deployment"? That's exactly what I want going on in my face. Fuck airbags, I would rather have mandatory neck braces than that.

Last edited:
Unless you are driving a '50s Chevy you won't have glass shards flying towards you.

GLASSES, not glass. As in the metal and plastic things that I wear on my face between me and the airbag.

GLASSES, not glass. As in the metal and plastic things that I wear on my face between me and the airbag.

You expect me to read what people write in this forum? :p

I expect you to read the comments you are replying to :p