Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I was browsing around for used cars and I found a 2007 Honda Civic LX in black, with 28300 kms, for only $4850!!! :eek:

How is that possible?! I emailed the seller and this is what he wrote:

Seriously, should I go get this car RIGHT NOW!? HOW IS IT SO CHEAP!?!?!?!?

Pics:

5630c2l_20.jpeg

7532163_20.jpeg

9099628_20.jpeg

1284961_20.jpeg

Well, he emailed me again after I asked him if I can come for a test drive:

Hi again and sorry for the delay,
I am currently in USA because this is where i run my business.I will be here for a while and i am selling this car because i have made a loan back home to buy a new house and now i am forced to sell it asap because i have to pay the bank. It seems that the financial crisis affected us all.
Before leaving I had prearranged shipping and the payment with eBay's Vehicle Purchase Protection Program so my presence isn't necessary(The car is in eBay custody ready for delivery).The price includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. The delivery process is not an issue, I'll have the car shipped at your home address in maximum 2 days.
Here is what I suggest: we will use ebay service, you'll make the payment in an ebay managed trust fund ( they hold the money until you receive the car ), I send the car over( the car will be delivered with the title, owner's manual, service records, and of course the bill of sale authorized and signed by me),I will offer a 5 day period from the day you'll receive the car , you can inspect it, take it to a mechanic to check it out, ride it and then if you decided to keep it, you'll confirm to ebay the sale and they will send the payment to me. If, by any reason, you will not be satisfied with it ( even though I can assure you that it is exactly as described), you can return it at my expense for a full refund of your money, no questions asked .I think this is more than fair for the both of us.

NOTE: The payment is refundable, and is just a security measure, to make sure that you are serious, and that I am not going to ship the car, and loose time and money.

If you are interested to go ahead with the deal, please reply with your full name, phone # and shipping address so I can ask ebay to open a case! After, they will contact you explaining all the details regarding the payment.
I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Yeah, I don't think I'm interested in this car anymore. :D

I've been getting that on craigslist with apartments a lot. "I'm not ion the country so I can't show it. Send me money, and I'll mail you a key. Promise."

I've been getting that on craigslist with apartments a lot. "I'm not ion the country so I can't show it. Send me money, and I'll mail you a key. Promise."

wow, really, apartments? thats crazy! who would fall for that? Jeez!

Two from the last week:

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to look at my property. My name is Anna Paquin, I'm 43 years old, I'm a construction engineer and I'm the owner of this condo (2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms,1200 square footage). I lived in this beautiful condo for over 5 years, loved every day of it. It's located in 302 30th St, San Francisco, CA 94131. The unit is equipped with recessed lighting, central air and heat, the condo come with two parking spots, there is also a linen closet, and most importantly, a new front loading stacked washer and drier. Pets allowed. I've moved to United Kingdom with my job (i am a construction engineer) and decided to rent it because the rent is very expensive here. The price is so low because I'm here and is very hard to find a tenant.I can rent you the condo for min. 1 month and max. 6 years(or more). I really want to find a good and responsible tenant for it, and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself. The rent for whole the condo for 1 month is $1300 including all utilities(water,electricity, internet, cable, parking , airconditioning, fireplace, dishwasher, garbage) and the security deposit is 1300$(you'll get the deposit back at your departure-or you can use it to pay your last month of rent) and I want to receive the money monthly in my bank account. You can move in the condo in the same day when you receive the keys. The only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys and I have nobody in United States that could show you the condo. In order to check it, see if you like it(I'm sure that you'll love it), you need to receive the keys and the contract.
If you want to rent the condo, please e-mail me back and I will explain you how the payment and shipping will take place!

The same address was listed by someone else who was the owner, different name, who had the exact same pictures, but could show it at any time...but for almost double the price :p That's how they get people interested.

Hello,

Showers of blessing unto you and you entire household.My name is Campbell Jeff the owner of the 3bedroom Single Family Home you are making enquiry of.I once resided in the house with my wife and only daughter before me and my family decided to work for the lord.So presently i am based here in the West Africa.My wife could not stay further cause she had to go for a surgery in Mississippi,Cause she has to visit an Otology/Neurotologist for surgery we want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible,dedicated,committed and trustworthy person that can take good care of the Home for us we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, i am here in west Africa, our new House and put all my worries off concerning the maintenance of the Home for, since i am not residing there for now.I left behind some Facilities and electronics which include the rent, and a DVD player, air conditioning, alarm system. The kitchen is fully equipped with all necessary cooking utensils, refrigerator-freezer, four-hob and oven, microwave,dishwasher and washing machine, My Computer Connected with Internet Access Also the keys to the House are right here with me in Africa, we try to look for an agent that we can give this documents and keys before we left but we were unable to to get one. That is why we took along with us the documents and keys of the house and the lease document. Which i can send to you after all necessary agreement has be accepted. Also i will like you to know that the rent charges is not really the issue,Hope you are okay with the price of ($880)with hydro,heat laundry facilities,air condition and so on,but your absolute maintenance of my Home is most important thing,If you are really interested i will like you get back to me with the Rent Application Form below fill out so that we can proceed further.

Here is the House address:537 Park Way, South San Francisco CA 94080 ... Pls note that you will be viewing the House from outside and won't be able to inspect the Interior because the only problem is that I`m the only person who has the keys but I hope that we will find a compromise.the keys and the documents to the House are with me here in Africa and It is located on a cool, quiet and safe neighbourhood.

One Mr John called me about the Home,I told him that I can't give him the home because he loves smoking,drinking and don't want him to get drunked and damaged my property one day so If you are still interested, No extra fees.I will like you to give me a call on this effect to know how serious you are,Here is my Contact Number +2348023554481 or 0112348023554481, I personally will actually come visiting you sometimes during the year as our new tenant.Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file in case of issuing the receipt in your name and contacting you.Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the keys and the documents to you,please we are giving you all this based on trust and again i want you to stick to your words,We are putting everything into Gods hand,so please do not let us down in this property of ours and God bless you more as you do this.

Thanks

It is hilarious, though, because right along the top of every page, it says this:
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any arrangement involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, or a landlord/owner who is out of the country or cannot meet you in person.

Last edited:
Replacing my fuel filter bracket in the Miata, bolt snapped, off to buy an easy-out <_<

Two from the last week:

The same address was listed by someone else who was the owner, different name, who had the exact same pictures, but could show it at any time...but for almost double the price :p That's how they get people interested.

It is hilarious, though, because right along the top of every page, it says this:
Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any arrangement involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, or a landlord/owner who is out of the country or cannot meet you in person.
The first one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Paquin ? So you are going to buy an apartment from sookie stackhouse from trueblood?
Interesting...
And Campbell Jeff is poor too... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Campbell

It's a silencer - technically it's a resonator chamber designed to muffle intake noise (as befits, in GM's view, such a luxury car).

If you wish to improve performance, remove the resonator and replace it with a piece of pipe. It will also sound better. :D

Last edited:
I want a RWD turbocharged Volvo.

That is all.

I want a Volvo with a ZR1 engine full race-ready chassis.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should get some black multispoke wheels for my Yaris the next time I get my tyres changed. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It's a silencer - technically it's a resonator chamber designed to muffle intake noise (as befits, in GM's view, such a luxury car).

If you wish to improve performance, remove the resonator and replace it with a piece of pipe. It will also sound better. :D

But it WILL be less luxurious.

That is the sad box, my car has one. It makes the car sad. I am too un-car knowledged to pull mine unfortunately :(
poor sad car.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't not laugh. ;)

Does my Citroen ZX has a sad box too? I want to remove it so the car starts to sound better. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't not laugh. ;)

Does my Citroen ZX has a sad box too? I want to remove it so the car starts to sound better. :mrgreen:
You should open it up and look. I have one secret sadbox under my fender even :blink:

No no...not "buy"...rent.

Also, his name was Campbell Jeff. Not Jeff Campbell. :p
Rent, Buy, whatever. It's still beside the point. And Campbell Jeff doesn't sound like someones name, I searched Campbell Jeff and came up with what I found. I was trying to show how pathetic scam artists are at making up names. Like John Smith or Jane Doe, which are used for unknown people.