Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Even I wouldn't buy a car for it's flashlight... :lol:

..that CVT with available AWD tho....

/ducks

Yeah, that's been tried before. The only ones that weren't expensive failures in the long run were the Nissan system in the Murano, etc., and this:

1024px-Suby_justy.jpg

The Mopar CVT and CVT2? They were terrible. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/CVT.html

Chrysler chose the CVT from Jatco as a relatively last minute choice, when the Chrysler 6-speed dual clutch transmission was not coming along as planned. There is nothing wrong with that CVT, except that it has a fairly small overall gear ratio, between 4-5; other transmissions can have overall ratios between 4-7, so a smaller engine can have its power amplified by a wide overall ratio transmission. With the fine fuel economy at final drive ratios, and heavy amplification of the lightly powered, but fuel efficient, engine for acceleration needs in "lower gears," it would be a fine combination.

To make the World Engines sprightly they need(ed) a wider overall gear ratio, and the CVT couldn't deliver that. So the cars came across as noisy, thrashing, machines with little performance. That hurt sales. The (Fiat) dual clutch DCT 635 will cure that problem, as will the arrival of improved WGE engines featuring direct injection, Multiair, and turbocharging.

To that add the fact that five years after the above was written, we now know that the Jatco CVT/CVT2 is a fragile, finicky, low reliability box that's got bunches of people thinking about lawsuits.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's been tried before. The only ones that weren't expensive failures in the long run were the Nissan system in the Murano, etc., and this:

1024px-Suby_justy.jpg

The Mopar CVT and CVT2? They were terrible. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/CVT.html

To that add the fact that five years after the above was written, we now know that the Jatco CVT/CVT2 is a fragile, finicky, low reliability box that's got bunches of people thinking about lawsuits.

Justy! :D

That was sarcasm :lol: 93Flareside's moaning CVT is but one example of how bad it is.

to be fair, the transmission in the Nissan Versa Note that I'm renting this weekend, is an absolute piece of shit. It rattles and bangs every time i start the car up, and shutters anytime I try to give it gas when it's at about 3000 RPM.

Justy! :D

That was sarcasm :lol: 93Flareside's moaning CVT is but one example of how bad it is.

To be fair, out of the 10 Patriots I've seen go through the abuse that is 30,000 miles a year in my company's care, this is the first one to make this groaning noise. They're the most uncomfortable wastes of space I've ever had to drive.

Another ford you may not have considered but your work might: C-Max Hybrid.

Dealers have them around here and they're used by AT&T, ComEd and Nicor gas. There's a few privately owned ones. They're about as popular as the flex is.

The c-Max also has less cargo space. That's one of things we also have issues with on the Patriot.

Last edited:
Dealers have them around here and they're used by AT&T, ComEd and Nicor gas. There's a few privately owned ones. They're about as popular as the flex is.

The c-Max also has less cargo space. That's one of things we also have issues with on the Patriot.

Edge? It's bigger than the Escape but smaller than the Flex.

I would throw in the Transit Connect (sorry spectre, Argatoga, et'al!) but it doesn't have AWD.

Could you possibly get a Cherokee?

Fuck the Cherokee and its 9 gears of useless-ness. I rented for a week and it has the same issues as the patriot, unsupportive seat and mediocre cargo space.

I thought about the transit but its more designed to be durable above everything else and less about comfort. I'm thinking the edge because of what you said. Bigger but not too much more. Plus, it has a turbo engine which means there's room for chipping. :p

What's the cooshie-est vehicle that's smaller than a Flex made by Ford or GM?

Last edited:
Yeah, well...

Yeah, well...

SuperCab F-150 4x4 with the 3.5 is right in the same price ballpark as the Edge and with a bed topper it could have all the cargo space one would want. These days even base F-150s are comfortable places to occupy.

- - - Updated - - -

The F-150 doesn't even have a ginormous mileage penalty any more, either:

1drprk9.png

Last edited:
I know it's likely a bit smaller than the patriot but Chevy Trax?

I know it's likely a bit smaller than the patriot but Chevy Trax?

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/trax

Despite a cool name, the Trax is an unadventurous alternative in a segment known for bold designs. It offers a roomy and flexible cabin and is powered by a 138-hp, 1.4-liter turbo four with a six-speed automatic; take your pick of either front- or all-wheel drive.

This is a 3200lb CUV powered by a 138hp, 148lb-ft I4 which is BUZZZZZZZZZY and noisy on highway runs. That's the same weight but about a third less power than the 'underpowered' Patriot he has right now (at the same weight), but with bonus NVH and annoyance thrown in for free.

Last edited:
I passed one on the highway today in a Nissan Versa Note, and the Trax seemed smaller.

http://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/trax

This is a 3200lb CUV powered by a 138hp, 148lb-ft I4 which is BUZZZZZZZZZY and noisy on highway runs. That's the same weight but about a third less power than the 'underpowered' Patriot he has right now (at the same weight), but with bonus NVH and annoyance thrown in for free.

Ahh ok yeah scratch that...

Fuck the Cherokee and its 9 gears of useless-ness.

On that note I want to gripe about the gears in the new Mustang. The transmission is, for the most part pretty good. The controls and modes are great, for an auto it's got a ton of options. Even just in drive I still have the ability to click the flappy paddles to change gears as I want, and it will continue in those gears until it determines normal driving is occurring at which point it will resume with normal auto operation. It's pretty good at that, no complaints there. The sport mode is more manual gear change oriented for sure, and holds the gears much longer but still will change them automatically once you hit certain speeds.

My gripe is the actual 6 gears themselves. They're all really short. It will be in 4th gear at 30mph from just gentle acceleration, then 5th at about 35, and doesn't go into 6th until 45. The problem is at highway speeds of say 75 mph you're running at 2k rpm in 6th gear. Click the cruise control up to ~80 to match traffic and you're running 2300-2500 rpm. Why? It gets a little bit of a drone from those higher rpms which can be a bit annoying with low highway noise. I'd much prefer running 1750-2000rpm at highway speeds, not only would it be quieter, but the gas mileage would be noticeably better as well. I guess the setup they have is more oriented toward city traffic where the gearing helps a little at lower speeds, but it seems silly on the highway. Does anyone still do overdrive gears for highway speeds? Those needs to make a comeback.

On that note I want to gripe about the gears in the new Mustang. The transmission is, for the most part pretty good. The controls and modes are great, for an auto it's got a ton of options. Even just in drive I still have the ability to click the flappy paddles to change gears as I want, and it will continue in those gears until it determines normal driving is occurring at which point it will resume with normal auto operation. It's pretty good at that, no complaints there. The sport mode is more manual gear change oriented for sure, and holds the gears much longer but still will change them automatically once you hit certain speeds.

My gripe is the actual 6 gears themselves. They're all really short. It will be in 4th gear at 30mph from just gentle acceleration, then 5th at about 35, and doesn't go into 6th until 45. The problem is at highway speeds of say 75 mph you're running at 2k rpm in 6th gear. Click the cruise control up to ~80 to match traffic and you're running 2300-2500 rpm. Why? It gets a little bit of a drone from those higher rpms which can be a bit annoying with low highway noise. I'd much prefer running 1750-2000rpm at highway speeds, not only would it be quieter, but the gas mileage would be noticeably better as well. I guess the setup they have is more oriented toward city traffic where the gearing helps a little at lower speeds, but it seems silly on the highway. Does anyone still do overdrive gears for highway speeds? Those needs to make a comeback.
Pretty sure your 6th gear is OD, this is actually longer than my Z's gearing I can go into 6th at 35 w/o any shudder or complaint from the car. They likely went with a European style gearing where top gear is still low enough to be able to accelerate relatively quickly to overtake w/o having to change down.

P.S. in both my cars 80 in top gear :)D) is north of 3K

P.P.S. this really shows that Ford is thinking of the Mustang as a sports car that it is not muscle/pony car.

EDIT: Here are your gear ratios, your 5th AND 6th are OD gears
First 4.17
Second 2.34
Third 1.52
Fourth 1.14
Fifth 0.87
Sixth 0.69

Final Drive: 3.15:1, 3.55:1 (optional)

Last edited: