Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Went to a junk yard yesterday hunting for Jeep parts. Found an old Pontiac dustbuster van. I had no idea those had integrated air compressors on board. Thats actually really cool

KrGb1h1.png

Seriously? Was that standard?

I was just looking at used exotics and Porsche Carrera GT now costs a million Euros! What happened, that the car's suddenly spiked?
:( My favourite super car.... well, that and the Pagani Zonda F Roadster.

That video has been deleted, what was it? :(

Mr. Koenigseggseggseggseggvikingseggseggseggabbaseggsegg brought the Trevita CCXR by Jay Leno's Garage and Jay did his usual look-see and review of it. In the course of the video, they talked about how what was required to get US certification for sale and mentioned that it took 18 crash tests though thankfully they didn't have to provide 18 different cars to do it. All that for a production run of three.

I love Koenigsegg. They're mad.

Mr. Koenigseggseggseggseggvikingseggseggseggabbaseggsegg brought the Trevita CCXR by Jay Leno's Garage and Jay did his usual look-see and review of it. In the course of the video, they talked about how what was required to get US certification for sale and mentioned that it took 18 crash tests though thankfully they didn't have to provide 18 different cars to do it. All that for a production run of three.

Now that I've seen the video I think those 18 crash tests are for all the CCX/CCXR that they've made, not just the three Trevita... might be wrong though.

I mean, it's just a little special edition, not a completely new car. Chassis and drivetrain are the same

If you read the page from the owner's manual, looks as if it was an option.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted before my plane took off. I had no chance to take it down.

Here we go again...USA x Europe :lol:

Also, I bet the EPA has something to do about it.

I know that American cars have all their power at the low end of the rev range, and they only rev to about 5-6k, but still, I don't think there's anything wrong with those revs at that speed. My old diesel Astra even was around 2800 rpm at that speed, and it ran out of revs at 4500...

Current car is at around 3250 at that speed, but then again it revs to 7k, so I have a lot of room left over.
I like it when highway speed gets you right on the best torque range, so you can just mash the pedal and overtake someone, without having to downshift or wait for the autobox to kickdown. I dunno where the sweet spot is on your car, but mine needs a ton of revs to start doing anything, so 4k and beyond is where I want to be to overtake...

The only car I've ever driven that was lower than that was an 8 speed (!!) BMW 2 series, which ran around a lazy 1800 rpms at 130 kph. It instantly downshifted 2 or 3 times if you stabbed the throttle though... so 8th gear is just for fuel consumption alone and not to be able to reach a ridiculously high speed anyway...

Eh, to me 2500 just seems like a fairly high rpm to be doing on cruise control for several hours on a highway. The engine itself is fine doing that much, red line starts at 6500 RPM and it quite happily revs up to about 7k before changing gears in sports mode, it just seems counter intuitive.

What do you mean by counter intuitive? Too buzzy?

I don't think there's anything wrong with those revs at that speed.

...8 speed (!!) BMW 2 series, which ran around a lazy 1800 rpms at 130 kph... so 8th gear is just for fuel consumption alone

Answered yourself right there. If you're cruising along at some speed then fuel should be a prime concern instead of overtaking without downshifting. Add another gear to the top of your gearbox and use that for just maintaining speed or small changes, shift down to what you're using now for overtaking.

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I like it when highway speed gets you right on the best torque range, so you can just mash the pedal and overtake someone, without having to downshift or wait for the autobox to kickdown.

A 2001 Chevrolet Suburban or 2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali loaded to the gills with people and junk will do that nicely when you're doing 75mph.

Now that I've seen the video I think those 18 crash tests are for all the CCX/CCXR that they've made, not just the three Trevita... might be wrong though.

I mean, it's just a little special edition, not a completely new car. Chassis and drivetrain are the same

What he said.

What he said.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. This *is* the Federal government we're talking about - the one that has severe problems with telling similar and dissimilar items apart - which is why only *some* years of Jaguar XJ12S3 are importable and not all, despite the car being identical through much of its run.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. This *is* the Federal government we're talking about - the one that has severe problems with telling similar and dissimilar items apart - which is why only *some* years of Jaguar XJ12S3 are importable and not all, despite the car being identical through much of its run.

Apparently they didn't watch enough of this as kids...

So my predilection for buying junk vehicles may be genetic. My dad bought this 1988 Ford Super Duty box truck a few weeks back. He just wanted the box for storage at the racetrack. That leaves a more-than-a-ton truck for me to do something with...

uploadfromtaptalk1431998690608.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431998705918.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1431998719057.jpg

I've gone back and forth on either building just a regular flatbed or a ramp truck. Nor sure I really need either, but it'll be a fun exercise in engineering.

It's a fuel injected 460/5-speed, BTW.

So, mid single digit fuel economy, then. :p But at least it will get that same fuel economy empty or loaded. :D