Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I have a orange S5 not far from where i live, gonna see if i can get a pic of it tomorrow.

I'm in the process of pricing a full engine rebuild for the Mustang. We have a local engine shop that does very good work. The one good side of winter, I'm not continuously spending money on the car, which means come spring all the money that would have been spent on the car has built up in a savings account and can pay for something bigger.

Like a car that isn't broken *duck*

I've managed to clear out the garage enough, so that I can push the front of the car into it, close the door till it's as low down as it can go, and cover the rest of the opening with tarps. That way I can work in the engine bay of the car in relatively warm temperature and with good lighting :) Also removed the cam and followers from the old head today. new ones should be arriving in the mail today or tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about flying to Sydney and then driving back the 1000kms with this....

*Alfa 147 GTA*

I demand you do so.

Then take me for a spin when you get back to Melbourne.

I've managed to clear out the garage enough, so that I can push the front of the car into it, close the door till it's as low down as it can go, and cover the rest of the opening with tarps. That way I can work in the engine bay of the car in relatively warm temperature and with good lighting :) Also removed the cam and followers from the old head today. new ones should be arriving in the mail today or tomorrow.

Got the new cam, and put it on the old head with new followers (took me all of 15 minutes.. 10 of which were spent on trying to get the camshaft front seal out in one piece, until I noticed that there was a new one included with the cam, after which I just tore it out :)) Also finally got my exhaust manifold gaskets, only took Motonet 3 weeks to deliever them! :p

Seriously... Do want. But i have too many cars already. :(

http://www.blocket.se/orebro/Mercedes_Benz_280_s_23879130.htm?ca=13&w=3

EDIT: My old Honda Accord doesen't feel to good...
2r5tg11.jpg

Last edited:
Like a car that isn't broken *duck*

Neither car is broken. :blink: You obviously have never owned a vintage vehicle, there's always something that can be done. True I don't have to be constantly spending money on it, but it's always buying replacements for parts that are just worn or look really ratty. It's finally boiled down to the point the next major thing I have to do is repaint some of the plastic trim which has faded over the last 40 years.

The Mustangs engine just has old and down on power syndrome. It works fine now and could continue to be driven around without problems for tens of thousands of miles easily, however some quick chatting with the shop shows it would be rather easy to be pushing 290 HP to the wheels, where it was originally rated at 220 at the crank (40 years ago). :shifty:

Not to mention this particular shop also warranties their rebuilt engines from major faults for life, and smaller normal stuff for 3 years or something.

Yay, got a garage appointment for next week. Gonna get the block heater working and probably get the daytime running lights mounted as well.

This weekend I'm going to help a friend to decide between a 2002 Mazda6 and a 2005 Skoda Octavia II. It's the guy who nearly bought a Lancer, so I'm edging him on to get the Skoda. It's going to be the best option, imho.

i just rewatched today a french movie called 99 franc and i remarked that they destroy a jaaaag but thanks god its was just a xj40, spectre was the car chooser for this movie ?

I saw an XJ40 advertised with the following fault listed: "Rear doors do not open." Awesome. What's the likely culprit?

Yay, got a garage appointment for next week. Gonna get the block heater working and probably get the daytime running lights mounted as well.

This weekend I'm going to help a friend to decide between a 2002 Mazda6 and a 2005 Skoda Octavia II. It's the guy who nearly bought a Lancer, so I'm edging him on to get the Skoda. It's going to be the best option, imho.

Please don't fucking tell me they're a set of those hideous led strips.:mad:

Also, you should fix the block heater yourself.:)

No, not those. They are the usual useless lights you see on every non-modified 323F, but they will enable me to drive with the lights down without getting pulled over / flashed at.

And I'm not touching the damned block heater :lol:

I saw an XJ40 advertised with the following fault listed: "Rear doors do not open." Awesome. What's the likely culprit?

It is a classic XJ40 problem - the door handles break where the actuating rod for the latch attaches to them. There are redesigned handles available that reduce the likelyhood of breakage, but they still break.

Every single XJ40 has this problem. In fact, it was one of the top priorities to remedy when they revised the XJ40 into the X300. X300s do not have this problem as the redesign was successful. :D

Last edited:
Since i already fucked up a seal in the car (where all the water was leaking out) i'm back to pick-up guy duty. And because the Hyundai is out of the shop, and the Silverado is being painted, the russian roullete gave me:

566089_1g.jpg

oh joy<_<

Drove 600kms in pouring rain before it even hit noon today. I am now a very experienced hydroplaner.

Took my XJR in for a coolant flush and to fix a coolant leak (turns out it was coming from the reservoir), and my mechanic had a green Series II E-type convertible in the garage. It had been sitting for 20 years and he'd managed to resurrect it with just new fluids and a new brake master cylinder; everything else worked. Random cars in the shop like this, and the huge fleet of parts cars out back for when new parts are backordered (like the coolant reservoir today), is why I will gladly pay the $95 an hour he charges.

Took my XJR in for a coolant flush and to fix a coolant leak (turns out it was coming from the reservoir), and my mechanic had a green Series II E-type convertible in the garage. It had been sitting for 20 years and he'd managed to resurrect it with just new fluids and a new brake master cylinder; everything else worked. Random cars in the shop like this, and the huge fleet of parts cars out back for when new parts are backordered (like the coolant reservoir today), is why I will gladly pay the $95 an hour he charges.

My preferred shop in town is where the older guys into the older cars hang out. The front part of the shop has random stuff everywhere and a bunch of tables and chairs, and all the walls covered in pictures of cars they've worked on. Out in the actual garage area, there is enough clear floor space to work on 4 cars, all the other floor space and shelving is piled high with any old parts you could think of, along with 3-4 random Thunderbirds and Packards in various states of disassembly. It would take someone who doesn't work there or hang out there at least a year at 8 hours a day to go through everything and figure out what it is, but all the usuals know where everything is :lol:

Then you realize that much more common marques have similar labor charges and think that it's a fantastic bargain, really. :D

Then you realize that much more common marques have similar labor charges and think that it's a fantastic bargain, really. :D

Well, I haven't really seen the shop charges around here for plebemobiles, but I'd guess they're higher than the $75-80 they were in North Carolina four years ago. Either way, it's reassuring when the guy has an Rolls up on a lift for a full restoration jobs.