Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

http://www.caradvice.com.au/544202/...g-and-specs-all-new-hatch-promises-top-value/
So Hyundai just announced the pricing for the new i30 in Oz, and I noticed something interesting.
The SR model is rather insane value (25K for 150 kw, multi link rear end, 6 speed), but the active safety tech like lane departure, auto braking and what not are only available on the automatic models. I wonder if this is a tactic to get people to cough up the extra cash for the auto, or they just guess that people who prefer to change their own gears generally pay attention more when they are driving?
Personally, I like the idea of all cars fitted with the auto braking. Before you all jump up and down and say you don't need it, think about it being fitted to the car behind you with the inattentive driver....

They are 33x10.50-15s. They fit perfectly under the slightly wider TJ flares.

Today I have been obsessing after 255/85-16s... Same diameter, but slightly narrower. Problem is there are only a handful of tires available in that size, mostly mud tread...

I'm driving a 2017 Camry SE (with only 3k on the clock) at the moment. It's the first car to actually make me drowsy when driving it, fuck.

You don't see side rubbing strips anymore.

You can usually get them as a dealer installed accessory here. Honda offers it and it looks odd on almost everything they make.

Today I have been obsessing after 255/85-16s... Same diameter, but slightly narrower. Problem is there are only a handful of tires available in that size, mostly mud tread...

BFG KM2s.... :wicked:

IMG_6258-X2.jpg

But it's all beige and everything you've espoused previously! :p

I've always hated the last few generations of Camry. This one is no exception. I'll be posting a more detailed review sometime this weekend but here's the TL;DR:

Excellent drivetrain, Bluetooth integration, and cush ride but not so sporty feeling handling when pushed and a unacceptably cheap interior for 23k.

There were mold lines right where your fingers hit the ends of the turn signal/wiper stalks, for example. Another egregious example: The entire vertical surface of the rear door card is composed of hard plastic, Only a thin barely padded rubberized section on the armrest exists.

Sure, the Camry has always been boring, but at least you could sit in it and feel like you were getting your money's worth, even in the 97-01 that many say started the quality decline.

But since 2007, that has decidedly not been the case. Apparently the Camry has one of the lowest real world transaction prices so you probably aren't paying 23k for a SE, but even then - I'm sure a Fusiodeo S would walk it in terms of interior materials.

Last edited:
What locker are you replacing it with?

I'm stripping the old Disco before scrapping what's left. The bobtail already has an electric solenoid locker which is at least as good if not better than an air locker. Part of fitting it is modifying the axle to strengthen it. :)

Can't wait to try it out but the gearbox swap comes first.

I'm stripping the old Disco before scrapping what's left. The bobtail already has an electric solenoid locker which is at least as good if not better than an air locker. Part of fitting it is modifying the axle to strengthen it. :)

Can't wait to try it out but the gearbox swap comes first.

I forget, does it have a snorkel already or will you be discovering where your air intake is located the hard way again? :p

The Citroen Visa cabriolet just screams of body flex and pure chassis regidity. It's so small and little and cute in a strange way, I want to get one and cuddle it. If there's still one out there, it must be scared going through the city streets with all these massive SUVs next to it. They could crumble it faster than they could crumble a can of tuna. I bet you can flex that body with your hands. It also looks like one of the most afterthought automotive designs, ever.

1983_visa_cabrio_1.jpg

ef62bb443e0fa8557a20d5752bf75c77.jpg

citroen-visa-cabriolet-01.jpg

Don't you wanna go on seaside holidays to the nearest beach now? I certainly do!

Normally I'd say it's such a bad car, it deserves to be bought and just trashed, but the Visa cabriolet is so bad, one of these needs to be saved. Not sure exactly as for what, maybe as a warning or a negative example for future generations, but one needs to be preserved in good condition. Hmm ...

I forget, does it have a snorkel already or will you be discovering where your air intake is located the hard way again? :p

Hehe, it already has one this time and it looks like the guy did a good job sealing it. Already taken it through water over the intake height but as I was moving it probably wouldn't have got in anyway.

The Citroen Visa cabriolet just screams of body flex and pure chassis regidity. It's so small and little and cute in a strange way, I want to get one and cuddle it. If there's still one out there, it must be scared going through the city streets with all these massive SUVs next to it. They could crumble it faster than they could crumble a can of tuna. I bet you can flex that body with your hands. It also looks like one of the most afterthought automotive designs, ever.

Normally I'd say it's such a bad car, it deserves to be bought and just trashed, but the Visa cabriolet is so bad, one of these needs to be saved. Not sure exactly as for what, maybe as a warning or a negative example for future generations, but one needs to be preserved in good condition. Hmm ...

I love these "Box of Chinese Takeaway" sort of cabrios :lol: I mean, they're obviously dreadful, but I like the '80s-'90s weekend-out-in-the-countryside feeling they convey.

In addition to the Visa:

Topless-Rover-Metro-Cabriolet.jpg

autowp.ru_yugo_65a_cabrio_uk-spec_1.jpg

peugeot_205_sj_cabrio_2.jpeg

suzuki_swift_1.3_gs_convertible_3.jpg

Wait, what are the first two?

Do they make beautiful noise at highway speeds?

When my brother had them on his bronco, they were just overall more noisy. Similar to General Grabber AT2. My dad has the Generals on his 2013 Wrangler. It's noisy from the outside but you can't tell from inside all that much. That could also be from not rotating them because you started to get wah wah wah noise.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/544202/...g-and-specs-all-new-hatch-promises-top-value/
So Hyundai just announced the pricing for the new i30 in Oz, and I noticed something interesting.
The SR model is rather insane value (25K for 150 kw, multi link rear end, 6 speed), but the active safety tech like lane departure, auto braking and what not are only available on the automatic models. I wonder if this is a tactic to get people to cough up the extra cash for the auto, or they just guess that people who prefer to change their own gears generally pay attention more when they are driving?
Personally, I like the idea of all cars fitted with the auto braking. Before you all jump up and down and say you don't need it, think about it being fitted to the car behind you with the inattentive driver....

Fuck all types of self driving/active safety BS. Make it harder to get a license and educate drivers better.

This bullshit of "people suck at driving so we're going to make it easier for sucky drivers to not crash" has got to stop. It won't but it would be nice.

"I took a pill in a Visa..." :p

As for driver assist features, honestly I was all poo poohing them until my neck injury. Blind Spot Monitor would be something I'd be interested in if I were buying a new car. I do a shoulder check but the added confidence of the sensors to compensate for maybe not holding my head in that twisted back position for a long time would be nice.

Automatic Emergency Braking should just be a thing now. While I'm not much of a Toyota fan it's commendable that every carline has it standard, even a base Yaris. Honda deserves similar praise for including Honda Sensing on every CR-V EX and above, and making it a standalone option on every trim of Civic and Accord.

Sure, licencing should get more strict though, I agree.