Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Massachusetts can eat a bag of dicks.

Google decided to get hopelessly confused and direct me onto US-1 North instead of I-93 south TWICE. Of course, it put me on US-1 right before a toll bridge. And Massachusetts, being the forward thinking jackholes they are, decided they aren't going to have toll booths in their state anymore. All EZ-Pass or extortionately expensive Pay-by-plate.

So now I need to wait for them to send me an invoice. If they can make sense of any of the license plates on the rig, that is. The front plate is inset a good bit due to damage and faces kind of downwards, the trailer plate is mounted sideways, bent, on the fender, and the one in the middle is tucked up underneath the bed where it can't be seen from above.
Welcome to Massholeland :lol:

Google decided to get hopelessly confused and direct me onto US-1 North instead of I-93 south TWICE. Of course, it put me on US-1 right before a toll bridge. And Massachusetts, being the forward thinking jackholes they are, decided they aren't going to have toll booths in their state anymore. All EZ-Pass or extortionately expensive Pay-by-plate.

So now I need to wait for them to send me an invoice. If they can make sense of any of the license plates on the rig, that is. The front plate is inset a good bit due to damage and faces kind of downwards, the trailer plate is mounted sideways, bent, on the fender, and the one in the middle is tucked up underneath the bed where it can't be seen from above.

NY is doing the same thing finally.

I don't think I can just pull the fuse. The sensors also enable traction control and i believe they play a part in how the car determines current speed. Plus, I'm still not confident at the track im going to so i would like to have the nannies functional for this event.

Don't worry they don't go fast enough to be dangerous :p

NY is doing the same thing finally.

Sigh. I guess I'll have to get a 4 axle E-ZPass from NH (they're the only state that doesn't charge maintenance fees for unused transponders).

And miss out on all the sweet sweet discounts from toll collectors who either don't see the trailer or can't count.

Last edited:
... in the apocalyptic hellhole named Maryland, you can't have personal accounts for anything other than class 1.

I ran into that issue a while back when I was driving a borrowed car to visit my parents. I was driving through literally the day they turned the system off and ended cash collection. Ended up taking a massive detour at the NY/MA border, swung up to Vermont, took local roads, and back down into MA in order to avoid the tolls. Took an extra 2.5 hours each way.

Well that's just annoying
Within Maryland they have axle counters and it automatically adjusts (but penalizes you for not having the right transponder and cancels the in-state discount).

In other locales, YMMV.

That said, if I can push my transponder needs up to 5, I qualify for a commercial account.

Sounds like the Oklahoma Pikepass isn't all that bad. I've used it in Dallas and Kansas. You can adjust the number of axles from their website. No penality if you aren't using it and the money just sits in the account until you use it.

Ezpass is literally the worst tolling system I've ever used. Paying cash is literally easier.

Ezpass is literally the worst tolling system I've ever used. Paying cash is literally easier.

Might be state dependent, I never had any issues with mine, the only thing that annoys me is that it will automatically adjust how much money it will take from you based on usage, so if you use say $20 one month it will charge you $50 to replenish. Right now it takes like $90 from me and I don't ever use more than say 25-30 in any given month (VZ bridge sux)

It is state and tech dependent. In MA, EZPass used to let you just skip the toll line and get a discount. I'd preload it with $50 and it would just deduct the correct amount each time I drove through a toll booth. It was in essence the same as a regular ticket/cash system, but without stopping and without the ticket and cash exchange. Now the new plate reading system seem to be adding a whole lot of confusion and headache.

Might be state dependent, I never had any issues with mine, the only thing that annoys me is that it will automatically adjust how much money it will take from you based on usage, so if you use say $20 one month it will charge you $50 to replenish. Right now it takes like $90 from me and I don't ever use more than say 25-30 in any given month (VZ bridge sux)

Eh, it works fine for cars. Mostly. But good fucking luck if you try to do anything exotic.

99% of my toll usage involves a heavy vehicle or trailer.

Eh, it works fine for cars. Mostly. But good fucking luck if you try to do anything exotic.

99% of my toll usage involves a heavy vehicle or trailer.

I had a trailer that had spare tires mounted just ahead of the actual axles, and going across the Mackinac Bridge once, they tried to charge me for an extra axle. It took me 2 full minutes to convince the idiot that those tires were not connected to an axle.

I don't do toll roads when I can avoid it anyway, but I feel your pain.

I just got new tires and damn they're a huge step up from what came before. Bridgestone RE760s replaced a set of Toyo Extensa HPs; I never knew the Saab could be both this poised and this comfortable. Now to figure out if the struts are blown so I can time my alignment.

My tyre pressure warning system came into action today - on the Autobahn no less. Didn't feel anything weird in the steering, but nevertheless I deactivated the cruise control and slowly continued to the next exit (where I wanted to get off anyway) being extra alert in case of a slow puncture. Went to the next fuel station and checked the tyre pressure - spot on on all wheels. False alarm, I guess...

My tyre pressure warning system came into action today - on the Autobahn no less. Didn't feel anything weird in the steering, but nevertheless I deactivated the cruise control and slowly continued to the next exit (where I wanted to get off anyway) being extra alert in case of a slow puncture. Went to the next fuel station and checked the tyre pressure - spot on on all wheels. False alarm, I guess...

Checking pressure on tires that you just finished driving on is not really going to give you anything.

You're better off checking a few hours after driving. Still, could be false alarm from a failing battery in one of your sensors.

TIL a can of black paint is all you need to fix Acura's old beak grill...

5IxG9ow.jpg