Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park

Maybe you need a better car that doesn't have "European" suspension to cope with those roads.
You're saying this is worse? Your holes have been filled at least. The ones in my video are a good few inches deep. I was going slightly above speed limit to in theory go over instead of travel into the holes.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Shhh, your state congress critters might here you and cut the road budget for the next decade.
The trouble we are having is getting a little more road tax. We are either the lowest or darned near. Hasn't been raised in like 20 years and they aren't selling much more fuel, but the cost of building roads isn't getting cheaper.

GRtak

Forum Addict
We are looking at raising our fuel taxes here too. It is to much in my opinion, but they do need to be raised.

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
You're saying this is worse? Your holes have been filled at least. The ones in my video are a good few inches deep.

(Yes I know, I omitted the second half of your comment, but I couldn’t resist!)

We are looking at raising our fuel taxes here too. It is to much in my opinion, but they do need to be raised.
  1. How much fuel tax does Michigan currently pay?
  2. Do you guys get a breakdown of where the taxes ostensibly go?

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Fuel taxes should only be raised if:
  1. All non-road related expenses paid by fuel tax revenues are ended or funded by something else. This includes bicycle paths, parks, and "educational projects."
  2. All projects have been audited and most (not all, because that's not going to happen) waste/inefficiency eliminated
  3. All 'bridges to nowhere' type projects should be killed.
Then and only then should taxes be raised. Most of the time enough waste and unrelated projects can be found that actual tax raises wouldn't be necessary.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Random thought #1: after driving an 01 Focus and a mid-90s Accord loaners for two weeks, I realize that I'm very happy with my Acura and don't want a different car. It's quick, very comfortable, looks nice. Life is good.

Random thought #2: same story every spring - I switch over to summer tires and life improves dramatically. TL is now quiet, responsive, grippy, and the tires aren't Q rated. Whoo!!

Random thought #3: I'll post a video of one particular road in MA that has horrific pavement. As in, 15mph even in the Jeep kind of terrible.

Random thought #4: Spectre, do you still have a Jag? Just realized that I haven't seen you mention any in ages but maybe I just haven't paid attention.

Spectre

The Deported
Car(s)
00 4Runner | 02 919 | 87 XJ6 | 86 CB700SC
Random thought #4: Spectre, do you still have a Jag? Just realized that I haven't seen you mention any in ages but maybe I just haven't paid attention.
Yup, still have my 87. It's hibernating, awaiting more time and money.

JimCorrigan

Car(s)
HMCS Velvet Glove; The Last Samurai
TIL trying to dry your car after a wash by repeatedly accelerating at full chat from rolling starts results in streaks.

And brake dust.

And road debris on the flanks.

And bits of rubber behind the rear wheels. :LOL:

(I lied, I’ve known this for years, I just can’t stop doing it, and cackling with glee).

Sitrep: 3 years later, I still love the big stupid Dodge as much as ever. I bought the right car.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
They should make that and take inspiration from the old Subaru Outback sedans that were jacked up from the factory.

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
Theres a guy who used to do a lot of photoshops under the name CWW Car Design that made some really nice looking Jeep and Land Rover sedans. Sadly it looks like his site is offline :(

EDIT: Found some low resolution caches on Google Images

That 3rd Land Rover sedan (rear of the silver one) looks like a Lada

CrzRsn

Mr. Fedewhatever
DONOR
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST