Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I’m having trouble gauging how to handle this. I travel often and know planes and airports are quite dirty, should I be cleaning my surroundings on the plane?

I’m having trouble gauging how to handle this. I travel often and know planes and airports are quite dirty, should I be cleaning my surroundings on the plane?

Your company might make some changes regarding that for you, they're headquartered in Germany as I recall, aren't they?

I know my parent company has been providing at least weekly updates on our intranet regarding the situation as far as travel restrictions and advisories go. Currently they're having anyone who recently traveled to one of the major affected countries (even on personal travel) do a 14 day at home quarantine to help prevent any possible spread within the company. They've also cancelled a lot of company travel that's been scheduled for months as a result (including some training sessions for some of the brands with *major* new policy changes coming up), keeping only the absolutely necessary stuff going.

Yeah my company cancelled all travel between to/from our Irish office and basically said if you are feeling under the weather just work from home.

Yeah, I’ve been getting weekly updates but they’re just “if you feel sick, stay home. If you get sick while traveling, let us know and go get tested.” They also been giving regular updates about where infections are and whatnot.

My company implemented a 3-week quarantine after vising any Asian countries + other hotspots about a month ago, they were pretty quick to put that in place.

what's up with ford with reusing iconic names for crap cars?
first the Mach-E mustang...and now they reused the puma name for sth that has no resemblance to the original?

i liked the 90's puma! not what they're bringing out now

first the Mach-E mustang...and now they reused the puma name for sth that has no resemblance to the original?

Wait, wasn’t this the Echo Sport?

I think the top management bet on the company failing and doing everything to make sure it happens

The vast majority of their lineup possess little to no unique selling points over the competition. As such, they hope that you will form an emotional attachment to the product through the name.

It's possible for it to work. It usually doesn't. For a further example, see Mitsubishi and their Eclipse Cross. Or the Borgward Revival.

It's rather unfortunate. Lincoln has been excellent with names recently. I want a Lincoln Corsair. Not because it's a good car or superior to its competitors or for the privilege of paying over fifty thousand dollars for a posh Ford Escape/Kuga. But it's called the Lincoln Corsair, names don't get much better than that.

American cars in general have had pretty great names. The Zephyr is such a fantastic name for a car, then there are all the animal names (which is a nearly endless list), and the cars named after monumental examples of American Geography like the Colorado or Denali.

We might not build a great car, but we sure can market the crap out them.

I heard a story about that, I have no idea how true it is.
Supposedly one of the higher ups at Ford for marketing was talking to a couple who owned a Lincoln. He asked what model they bought and if they were happy with it; they couldn't remember what model name it was. Supposedly he went back and started to advocate for real model names again.

I think the reason they went with those names is because that’s what Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and even Volvo and Cadillac do.

I was behind a recent Mercedes estate the other day and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out if it was a C or E class. They look the same to me, just a generic blob with a Mercedes star glued on like an afterthought. And I’m the kind of guy that usually is able to tell the make and model of a car car from its headlights when it’s pitch dark and it’s coming the other way.

I miss the sharp styling of the W212.