Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I have a couple of weeks here before I have to go contest my ticket for the idiotic, invalid "speed limit" sign. I'll be real fucking pissed if I don't get to argue that one.

Bought gas last night. I've never seen to many choices.

0109101904-00.jpg

Funny, the lowest octane we can get here in Sweden is 95. Then comes 96, 98 and Shell's V-Power that is rated at 99.

Do we really need to go through this again? Your octane ratings are different.

To expand briefly on this, the octane rating calculation used in AUS and Europe results in a rating 4-5 points higher than the US rating, for the exact same fuel.

Went to VW dealership for a fleecing last Friday, $80 for a headlight bulb. I was going to do it myself and save the money on labour but, the bulb itself is impossible to reach without a tool.

Hey...be nice to the VW service tech. They have feelings, too.

To expand briefly on this, the octane rating calculation used in AUS and Europe results in a rating 4-5 points higher than the US rating, for the exact same fuel.

That was new for me, to be honest. Ah well, you learn something new every day. :)

Appears suspiciously like a bent clothes hanger to me.

Ever read a factory service manual?

Quote Jaguar:
The SPS system in service requires the fixing to be set to a specific torque initially; it must then be rotated through 90 degrees exactly. The accuracy of this cannot be too highly stressed. To obtain the correct setting, use Special Tool LST 122 or a self-manufactured tool using the dimensions illustrated (Fig 1)

They didn't bother listing Special Tool LST122 in the "Tools and equipment" section at the front of the manual, either - primarily because it is a metal disk with degree markings on it and a hole punched in the middle.

The automotive trade is full of stupid-assed tools that are only useful exactly once (sometimes because of some stupid styling decision, sometimes because of some fancy engineering decision, and sometimes out of sheer anti-consumer malice) - and where the manufacturers can, they'll let the dealerships invent the stupid-assed tool, thus saving both parties money (manufacturer doesn't have to build, stock and distribute it in quantity, and the dealership doesn't have to buy it)

Update on the Alleged car... i think that by now the Q could let me post all random ocurrences for the last month or so without referencing to the problem that made him quite angry

-The speedo has failed
-Fuel gauge doesn't work
-Temp gauge doesn't work
-Kia stereo has swollen my Bee-gees CD and won't give it back
-someone nicked the cables that keep the tailgate upright
-the horn died (time for a air one)

so yeah, well, at least it still runs.

Speaking of octane, my old Vaz could be driven on 78-octane fuel. Apparently it was standard in Soviet back in the days.

I have to do a physics project on "The car of the future". I'm set on writing about hydrogen-powered cars, but can anyone help with some interesting articles/research they might have found?

Yeah but that doesnt detract from the fact that your stations like selling sub-quality :p

If there are any oil company execs out there, here's what you need to do

1. Remove all sub-95-ratings
2. Offer 95 and Premium
3. Profit

Funny, the lowest octane we can get here in Sweden is 95. Then comes 96, 98 and Shell's V-Power that is rated at 99.
Where on earth do you find 96? I havent seen a pump for that for as long as I've had my drivers license, but I remember they had them when I was like 12.

Last edited:
Yeah but that doesnt detract from the fact that your stations like selling sub-quality :p

If there are any oil company execs out there, here's what you need to do

1. Remove all sub-95-ratings
2. Offer 95 and Premium
3. Profit

Where on earth do you find 96? I havent seen a pump for that for as long as I've had my drivers license, but I remember they had them when I was like 12.

96 is still available at some smaller stations, but most of the big ones have removed it and brought in E85 instead.

I almost exclusively fill up at automated stations and you're right they converted their 96 pumps into E85. I'm still a bit confused as to why 96 existed in the first place, I mean it's just one octane more than 95. Must have been a legacy from the time when much lower quality fuel was also avalible.

I almost exclusively fill up at automated stations and you're right they converted their 96 pumps into E85. I'm still a bit confused as to why 96 existed in the first place, I mean it's just one octane more than 95. Must have been a legacy from the time when much lower quality fuel was also avalible.

Before 95 unleaded, there was 93 leaded, so the steps 93-96-98 makes a bit more sense. :)

So I went to the VAG dealer (the kind that sells cars) during lunch and poked about in their cars, and the hype surrounding the Polo left me slightly disappointed. Supposedly the new Polo tries to be a bit upmarket, but the door thud is still pretty small-car-tinny. Better than other small cars perhaps but definately no better than my Astra. The switchgear was nice, but there were a few signs of cheapness, like the storage area around the handbrake. For cost reasons no doubt the handbrake is central and they've decided to split the compartment below it, so it only fits the tiniest of trinkets. There are two fixed cupholders instead of the "turn it into two cupholders if you need it"-storage solution in the Golf which feels a bit cheap and the headlight adjustment knobs on the left side do not have the same finish as the knobs on the central control cluster.

The most serious complaint I have are the front seats which are way too flat and give little support for the knees, and even worse I couldnt find any adjustment for the angle. Only a up/down-pump handle.

I'd liked to think that the new Polo was just a shrunken Golf, unfortunately the rear legroom is just a bit too small (while the Golfs rear is almost a bit too large) but mainly the Golf is much more solid and thought through. Considering the asking price of the Polo (yes sure it's a new model but they're still asking almost as much as my much larger and comparably equipped Astra was new) I'm not terribly impressed.

The Golf though is impressive, I want that door thud in my life.