Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So, my town is beginning a crackdown on people who fail to yield to horses.

This would seem to be reasonable in any rural town, but my town is in the suburbs! However, like most New England towns, it used to be a rural farm town, 25 years ago! So of course we have a few small "farms" that are nothing more than glorified pumpkin-stands/empty fields that have a few horses.

This crackdown, however was caused by one asshat in particular. The asshat in question makes it a regular practice to take his horse out for a ride. He does this everyday, on one of the narrowest, windiest, busiest roads in town. Not only that but he only goes during morning rush hour. Then the asshat wonders why people tear past him, blast their horns at him, and shout obscenities at him.

So he has been regularly writing letters to the local papers and the police department to enforce decades-old laws for him. Now they're granting Mr Asshat's wish.

I'm having a hard time understanding why this guy was making such a fuss about these incidents when they could have just been avoided by staying off certain roads at certain times. I actually used to ride horses, and I never went on busy roads during rush hour. Hell I never was on any road for any real distance.

Just another case of people lacking common sense and making one big mess.

what town?

wtf brakes?
_MG_2588b.jpg

wtf brakes?
_MG_2588b.jpg

Dual calipers i assume for asthetic purposes since there is no other reason you would do that especially in the configuration.

Bet you a dollar one set is just a plastic shell and doesn't have any pistons or pads.

Bet you a dollar one set is just a plastic shell and doesn't have any pistons or pads.

I would take that bet in a second. Now if you bet me that one of those calipers wasn't even attached to the brakeing system and completely non functional i would be far lest hasty.

EDIT: and we would both be wrong. Turns out that GS is the shop drift car of 326 power which is a tuning shop in japan. here is some discussion on the subject over at Club Lexus.

Last edited:
Really?

In related news. I got in touch with Nissan North America about my transmission. I had to take it to the dealer for their diagnosis (which cost me $65 <_<) in the hope that Nissan will cover part of this repair. The problem is that if they do throw any money my way I have to get it done at the dealership and not my shop, and they may want to install a rebuilt transmission and probably won't replace the clutch. :mad:

This fuckin' sucks.

Yes Really

_MG_2613b.jpg

_MG_2593b.jpg

162778_665107966475_33412025_36927598_8158198_n.jpg

154988_665108215975_33412025_36927610_1015796_n.jpg

Drift cars sometimes run dual front calipers to give more bite and quicker weight shift to initiate drifts especially on bigger cars.

Reading the owner's manual from my 1994 GMC Sierra with the 5.7 V8.

When to Change Engine Oil
See if any one of these is true for you:
- Most trips are less than 4 miles
- It's below freezing outside and most trips are less than 10 miles
- The engine is at low speed most of the time (as in door-to-door delivery, or in stop-and-go traffic)
- You tow a trailer often
- Most trips are through dusty places
- The vehicle is frequently operated off-road

If any one of these is true for your vehicle, then you need to change your oil and filter every 3000 miles or 3 months - whichever comes first.

Light Duty Emissions
If none of them is true, change the oil every 7500 miles or 12 months - whichever comes first. Change the filter at the first oil change and at every other oil change after that.

So it turns out American cars aren't as old fashioned as some think they are. Since I commute out of town I can easily push the mileage up for oil changes. Interesting.

Ugh, I need to clean out all my crap from the XJ before selling it.

Really?

In related news. I got in touch with Nissan North America about my transmission. I had to take it to the dealer for their diagnosis (which cost me $65 <_<) in the hope that Nissan will cover part of this repair. The problem is that if they do throw any money my way I have to get it done at the dealership and not my shop, and they may want to install a rebuilt transmission and probably won't replace the clutch. :mad:

This fuckin' sucks.

Blind, did you have the transmission lube changed after you got the truck, or do you have records indicating a change was ever performed? I've got a suspicion of what it might be.

As for the clutch, provide them with the bits and talk to them about it - it's only a tiny bit more labor while they're at it.

Drift cars sometimes run dual front calipers to give more bite and quicker weight shift to initiate drifts especially on bigger cars.
http://img254.imageshack.**/img254/1718/brakes.jpg

I just saw an awesome first-gen Pathfinder. Lifted, off road tires, custom welded plate-steel winch bumper with HID off road lights, custom roof rack with off road lights, custom rear bumper with tire swing, matte gray paint with black WWII-style military star on the door and vehicle ID numbers on the rear quarter and a giant Zombie Response Vehicle logo on the rear window.

He even had an official-style "Warning: Zombie Area" sticker in red and white.

Of all the times for me to not be driving my XTerra.

:lol: That's why I'm still debating what to do with my Toyota. I love how damn good it is offroad, but driving it on the streets is painful with the spool in the rear. That was a mistake. But I don't take it out much anymore. In the last 18 months I've taken it out maybe 3 times. Maybe I should just sell it. Or maybe I should invest some more money into it to make it tolerable to drive on road. Like a real locker for starters. And some bumpers and quick remove mudflaps, so I don't have to worry about getting pulled over again. Etc.