Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

So I just had an either awesome ... or completely terrible idea. "Boxed arches"/fenders on my boxy old S10. I'm useless with photoshop, but think about it, boxy Quattro-esque fenders on this ...
ddf1a42c91f1469a.JPG

... I actually googled some pics, and my own truck still looked better than most of the results :p.

It might work, but you'd have to be very careful.. And even then, it'd just end up looking like a Nissan Hardbody or Isuzu truck.

You might want to consider making it into a clone of the Syclone truck:

1991GMCSyclone.jpg

^Chile may be cool, but CR is cooler! (or not)
This current government really cut spending, and made the congressmen give up their fully loaded Nissan Patrols in favor of basic, stripped Daihatsu Terios!

I loved that :D

I think I may have discovered a security thing in my car...

So I just went out for a bit, came back, rolled up into the driveway, parked my brother's car at the top of the driveway (it was in front of mine before I left so I had just left on the street) and then parked my car in front of his. La dee da. So I notice that my wheels are crooked and I could get a tiny bit closer. So I turn the steering wheel then go to start my car, wtf, the key won't turn? And the steering wheel is locked in the position that it's in. WHAT HAVE I DONE?! :(

Your steering is putting pressure on the locking pin from the keyswitch. Turn the wheel back the other way (you may have to saw it back and forth) while attempting to turn the key, you should be able to release the steering lock that way.

^ ha ha, funny guy. Yeah, nvm, I just start it up before anything else usually. Cold climate for the lose.

Doesn't have anything to do with a cold climate. It's a steering wheel/ignition lock. I think every car i've owned since my 1987 Oldsmobile has had one.

wikipedia said:
With the introduction of federal vehicle regulation in the United States in 1968, FMVSS 114 required the impairment of steering wheel rotation, to hinder motor vehicle theft; in most vehicles this is accomplished when the ignition key is removed from the ignition lock.

Last edited:
I remember when I was five, I accidentally put on the lock and I thought I broke the car... Ah the stupidity, then I started doing it to annoy my parents.

Holy crap, that looks properly spectacular. Good thing you got out of there!
Would've scared me to death, never mind the heat / flames.

Gonna get another truck, or something totally different?

My dad is going to buy himself a Subaru Forester within the next few weeks (He was going to anyway) and I'm going to take back the Avalon (Now with 244k miles!) until I go to college next year. I won't need a car then as I am going to college at DePaul University in downtown Chicago...

Not sure when I'll actually get a car of my own, but it will probably be something along the lines of a BMW 3-er or just whatever RWD manual I can afford at the time.

As for trucks, I might buy a project truck to make into a nice offroader at some point in the future if I have the free time / disposable income to do so.

My dad is going to buy himself a Subaru Forester within the next few weeks (He was going to anyway) and I'm going to take back the Avalon (Now with 244k miles!) until I go to college next year. I won't need a car then as I am going to college at DePaul University in downtown Chicago...

Not sure when I'll actually get a car of my own, but it will probably be something along the lines of a BMW 3-er or just whatever RWD manual I can afford at the time.

As for trucks, I might buy a project truck to make into a nice offroader at some point in the future if I have the free time / disposable income to do so.

Just make sure the truck is tall enough to clear the grass next time ;)

You might want to consider making it into a clone of the Syclone truck:

I agree with Spectre here. It's a pretty cool looking truck as it is, and I don't think the arches will suit it. Making it look like a unique Syclone-a-like would be pretty awesome.

I remember when I was five, I accidentally put on the lock and I thought I broke the car... Ah the stupidity, then I started doing it to annoy my parents.
Definitely been in the same boat with my dad's old car.

On other news, It was raining here, which meant I had to use my wipers. I discovered this before, but never bothered posting it. At stops, I normally turn off the wipers to avoid ruining them by making them scrape on nothing. I forgot to do it once, and was surprised when I found them to not be moving. As I accelerated again, they turned on again. Apparently on some modern cars, wipers turn off (or go at less interval) when the car is stopped. Needless to say, I was happy when I discovered the feature.

That doesn't sound like a very handy "feature." If you're stopped at a long traffic light in a heavy rain, you won't be able to see clearly out your windshield.

That doesn't sound like a very handy "feature." If you're stopped at a long traffic light in a heavy rain, you won't be able to see clearly out your windshield.

It only works if you have it on intermitant or low wipers. And as I tested it today, I found it slows to 1 wipe between every 30 sec

Definitely been in the same boat with my dad's old car.

On other news, It was raining here, which meant I had to use my wipers. I discovered this before, but never bothered posting it. At stops, I normally turn off the wipers to avoid ruining them by making them scrape on nothing. I forgot to do it once, and was surprised when I found them to not be moving. As I accelerated again, they turned on again. Apparently on some modern cars, wipers turn off (or go at less interval) when the car is stopped. Needless to say, I was happy when I discovered the feature.

The feature is there to keep the wiper motors from breaking. In cold climates, after it's rained, parking your car might make the wipers freeze solid. If that happens, and you forget to put your wipers off, the next morning, you start the car and the wiper motors try to move the frozen wipers -> broken wiper motors.

^I know thats a bit hard to fathom, but I can't be bothered to make a proper post.:)