Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think I've just come across the geekiest drag race ever caught on video.

[YOUTUBE]iDQUXTf2pRc[/YOUTUBE]

A drag race that has a 1 minute long video... I'm amazed they could capture the entire race considering they are electric cars :p

I have a possibly dumb question here, so please do bear with the idiocy.

Obviously we have all heard of and seen (either IRL or on TV/internet) about police chases with cars and trucks and even a tank.

But for the majority I haven't seen many chases of speeding motorbikes. Now I am willing to admit a bit of naivety on my part but from talking to friends and others and searching for videos online or on the TV I haven't come across several. Maybe I should say, as many as car chases.

I'm assuming the chief reason (if it is true) is that chasing after a speeding bike is very dangerous for the rider and the cop?

Again sorry if this question seems completely inane.

Obviously we have all heard of and seen (either IRL or on TV/internet) about police chases with cars and trucks and even a tank.

But for the majority I haven't seen many chases of speeding motorbikes. Now I am willing to admit a bit of naivety on my part but from talking to friends and others and searching for videos online or on the TV I haven't come across several. Maybe I should say, as many as car chases.

I'm assuming the chief reason (if it is true) is that chasing after a speeding bike is very dangerous for the rider and the cop?

that and a lot of police chases are initiated due to a crime and a stolen car. Not many people use motorbikes as getaway vehicles.

But for the majority I haven't seen many chases of speeding motorbikes.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2V8vCnkJu0[/YOUTUBE]

And this one just for good measure:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud_gXPCMUDw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Reactions: LP
It is extremely dangerous for both officer and the fleeing rider. Another concern is that with some modern sportbikes, the police simply can't physically catch them. Police cruisers usually end up topping out at 120-140mph due to all the gear they carry, and to make things worse motorcycles don't get held up by other traffic like a fleeing car does. In a wide open run, many of the latest superbikes can even outrun the police helicopter, let alone the cars.

Top speed of cruiser - ~140mph but is slowed by traffic.
Top speed of typical police helicopter - ~161mph, but range is extremely limited at that speed.
Top speed of stock 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX-1300R - 212mph.
Top speed of modified Hayabusa - ~260mph (Yes, faster than a Veyron.)

Which is why many departments don't even bother pursuing a speeding motorcycle unless there's some other reason - such as wanted in a felony, crime against person, etc., etc. If speeding is all, many departments will let them go.

That's not to say that they won't get your license plate and be waiting for you at home instead, though - which is the usual flipside of such a policy.

Last edited:

I couldn't refrain from commenting on your sig when I saw it... not to offend you or anything, it's yours and if you like it that way that's fine...
... but I'm sorry, the pseudo Euro plate seems super-tacky, especially with the heavy metal dots. :(
Umlauts are not even used on real plates, and I can't help but read it as 'darksh-AIR-k' (as the ? would be pronounced) every time... but then again, I have the same problem with M?tley Cr?e... :lol:

Heeey! Those "Heavy Metal" dots (? ?, ? ?, ? ?)are part of the Swedish alphabet!!

Well duh, I know, since they're part of ours as well. :p
But I seriously doubt the ?'s intended to be a real umlaut in this case. ;)

Top speed of typical police helicopter - ~161mph, but range is extremely limited at that speed.
Top speed of Motorola - ~669,600,000mph ;)
God help the stupid biker who gets caught in a quickly organized road block.

It's just extremely dangerous for everyone involved, and even around the pursuit. If you follow a bike around like the cop in that video did, the only way it will end is with an accident.

that and a lot of police chases are initiated due to a crime and a stolen car. Not many people use motorbikes as getaway vehicles.

Well yeah, I mean it'd be hard to carry suitcases full of money or drugs and ride insanely fast. :p

[epic videos]

Dude those vids gave me an adrenaline rush just watching them. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to be in the seat of that bike. But I do see the point you're making with the first video. I noted that the biker was just toying with the cop, egging him on to chase him. At which point (after a couple of minutes) I was just wondering what in the hell is the cop doing and why doesn't he just give up.

It is extremely dangerous for both officer and the fleeing rider. Another concern is that with some modern sportbikes, the police simply can't physically catch them. Police cruisers usually end up topping out at 120-140mph due to all the gear they carry, and to make things worse motorcycles don't get held up by other traffic like a fleeing car does. In a wide open run, many of the latest superbikes can even outrun the police helicopter, let alone the cars.

Which is why many departments don't even bother pursuing a speeding motorcycle unless there's some other reason - such as wanted in a felony, crime against person, etc., etc. If speeding is all, many departments will let them go.

That's not to say that they won't get your license plate and be waiting for you at home instead, though - which is the usual flipside of such a policy.

Those speeds are crazy but I'm just picturing what would happen if the police tried to impede the rider via roadblocks/spike strips/other standard car stopping techniques. I think the answer is just that they could mortally wound/kill 20x over the rider especially nearing the top speeds. So I guess it's sort of a fragile situation.

About the license plate aspect: I assume that's probably the safest and most used method to fine speeding bikers. After watching all those videos and seeing your responses + picturing how to stop a bike, all I can tell is that any other traditional method is unsafe.

Top speed of Motorola - ~669,600,000mph ;)
God help the stupid biker who gets caught in a quickly organized road block.

It's just extremely dangerous for everyone involved, and even around the pursuit. If you follow a bike around like the cop in that video did, the only way it will end is with an accident.

I "c" what you did there ;).

Last edited:

Well, sometimes occur (although in this case is not a chase at all) and you can see that the result isn't the best...

[YOUTUBE]PIDoqDEyrxg[/YOUTUBE]

I was behind an NSX going to work today for 15 minutes...my god those cars look so good in person. It just brought up my desire to own one ten fold.

I was behind an NSX going to work today for 15 minutes...my god those cars look so good in person. It just brought up my desire to own one ten fold.

Its probably going to be the first car I buy after grad school (after my car I take to college dies). There are ones around for $20K-$35K, and it has the reliability of an accord. Its either that, a M car, or S2000

This made my morning:

I was on my way to work playing my music fairly loud when I heard a strange raspy acceleration noise coming from a car somewhere in front of me in traffic. Managed to get closer to the sound and saw that it was a fairly new M6 since it had the new spoon scooped like trunk * Never seen one moving or moving slow enough for me to actually see it. The thing that made my morning was this guys plate. It said "1MPGLOL".

:thumbsup:

*= I don't follow BMW's so I don't know what the actual name for it is.

Last edited:
The thing that made my morning was this guys plate. It said "1MPGLOL".

:thumbsup:

:lol:
That's a great idea...I could go for "THRSTY" as mine. Damn six-letter, no number restriction. "GUZZLR"?