Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Spectre: awfully sorry officer, i was just testing the handling of my Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

It's definitely the Jag, though. Same cop gave me a ticket for doing the exact same thing under similar conditions in my Pathfinder last year.

What? You powerslided in the Pathfinder?

What? You powerslided in the Pathfinder?

I powerslide in a 4,600 pound 4 wheel drive Ford F150 every time it rains. No weight over the rear end and a limited slip diff means fun.

I also powerslide in my CJ7 sometimes but that is a little scarier due to the short wheelbase and the locking diff which can cause snap oversteer.

It's fun to do, especially on dirt tracks. Mine did not have enough grunt to break traction in the dry. Plus it had big knobbly tyres which was like sprinting around in rugby boots.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's really that impossible to powerslide a Fail Wheel Drive Volvo....
It's lighter than Spectre's Nissan, it has more power (just...) and has lowered rear suspension.

How hard can it be?

Hmmm...I wonder if it's really that impossible to powerslide a Fail Wheel Drive Volvo....
It's lighter than Spectre's Nissan, it has more power (just...) and has lowered rear suspension.

How hard can it be?

It's really that hard to powerslide a Fail Wheel Drive car... part of why I won't own one.

It's really that hard to powerslide a Fail Wheel Drive car... part of why I won't own one.

I accidently powerslid my Merc around an intersection...just gave a bit of throttle and the rear-end came out. I was really shocked, wasn't driving fast or anything. I'm guessing it hydroplaned?

I accidently powerslid my Merc around an intersection...just gave a bit of throttle and the rear-end came out. I was really shocked, wasn't driving fast or anything. I'm guessing it hydroplaned?

Well, yes, and your Merc isn't fail wheel drive. Though it's less hydroplaning and more just skidding/sliding because of reduced traction on the roads. I'm guessing you have the stock size skinny tires?

This isn't a bad thing; it's part of being able to steer with the throttle. If you'd applied more throttle, the rear would have swung out more - less and you slow or stop the skid. Take your car out to a big parking lot one day when it's raining or snowing and learn how your car does it. It's lots of fun and quite educational; and since you're up in the land of ice and snow, you'll be better able to cope with winter driving.

I'm guessing you only had a FWD car before?

Edit: That reminds me. You'll want to keep a couple of bags of sand in the trunk during the winter months - both for ballast (to increase traction) and if you do get stuck, to be applied to the ground as traction increasing materials.

Last edited:
i would kill a man for a Ford Falcon XC Cobra
Ford_Cobra_no.66.jpg

i would also accept a XB Falcon GT hardtop... sweet god damn they are such sexy looking cars

I tried it once around an intersection. All I got was smoke from the inside tire and some torque-steer. With that said - I've seen worse.

I tried it once around an intersection. All I got was smoke from the inside tire and some torque-steer. With that said - I've seen worse.

Try putting the rear wheels on bakery or cafeteria trays, then you can slide a fail wheel drive car. :D

Try putting the rear wheels on bakery or cafeteria trays, then you can slide a fail wheel drive car. :D

I can confirm this. Tried it in the Buick and it's a pretty funny thing to do. It's the kind of thing where you want to learn how to do it better but at the same time it's not something you'd be doing often so it doesn't reallt matter, lol

THAT SOUNDS BRILLIANT!!!

...and dangerous at the same time :D

i would kill a man for a Ford Falcon XC Cobra
Ford_Cobra_no.66.jpg

i would also accept a XB Falcon GT hardtop... sweet god damn they are such sexy looking cars

Never liked the XC front end. XA and XB FTW.