Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I just affixed my new registration sticker. My license plate is now officially the only clean part of my car, having had a wipe-down.

Even if i watch it a hundred times... this video puts a wide grin on my face. :mrgreen:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpo8RDyOEWY[/YOUTUBE]

^

:lol: That guy is fucking asshole, and all the more awesome for it! :D

Just sumbled upon one of our new member's (gt1750) deviantart pages. He has some awesome sketches in there

http://gt1750.deviantart.com/

I really like his C7 'Vette sketches.

http://img687.imageshack.**/img687/8070/c7vettesketchesbygt1750.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.**/img502/7784/corvettec7bygt1750.jpg

Also, the 6 series BMW should've designed.
http://img267.imageshack.**/img267/7843/bmw635csiformysisterbyg.jpg

Last edited:
Do racing games like GT, Forza, LFS, GTR, rFactor etc. make you a better driver?
You learn racing lines, basic terms like oversteer and understeer, you learn how to countersteer and how cars react (although I don't know how realistic this is since I've never driven a car at the limit). I often play LFS with a G25 and I think it helped when I learned driving, the controls felt natural albeit different to the game. While a friend who started driving around the same time and never actually played some racing games (because he isn't very interested in cars in general) had more difficulties with getting comfortable with the controls especially the clutch. Or is that just because I am more interested in cars and more eager to learn things about it in the first place?

Just some thought I wanted to share somewhere :)

Damn it! I?ve run out of arguments. I?m trying to tell a friend to buy a used Golf V over a used Skoda Oktavia (II). And I just can?t come up with something rational or meaningful! With the same kit, the oktavia is slightly cheaper (if you want to call 500-1000 Euro slightly)... and bigger ... technically they are the same car anyway (thx VW plattform) and skoda scores so damn well in customer satisfaction these days it makes it impossible to argue that the Golf is the better car! I want to argue against the size and the lifestyle (sedan vs hatchback - parking and image) ... but I would feel silly doing that. Damn it Golf V! Why do you hold your value so damn good!! Now I?m going to end up in the passengerseat of a 1,5 year old oktavia! I?ll prob even be dragged along for some testdrives!!!!

Life is cruel. :(

Last edited:
... and what exactly now is so bad? You acknowledged that it's basically the same car, only a bit bigger, so where's the problem?! :?

... and what exactly now is so bad? You acknowledged that it's basically the same car, only a bit bigger, so where's the problem?! :?
I never knew until now ... but it seems that I am indeed a badgeist.

Always thought I liked skoda up until now ... but now that it is possible that one will end up in my "family" ... I don?t like it anymore and I want a Golf in my "Familiy" instead.

And I?m not even kidding. I am a badgeist ... I show badgeist behaviour ... and until now ... I didn?t think I was one. :(

Last edited:
If it were the Fabia or Roomster I'd be with you, because the design of those just seems very iffy and really doesn't work imo. But, to me at least, the Octavia's fine. It's a good VAG car at a discounted price, and it looks subtle and discreet, in a nice way. :dunno:

Last edited:
Do racing games like GT, Forza, LFS, GTR, rFactor etc. make you a better driver?
You learn racing lines, basic terms like oversteer and understeer, you learn how to countersteer and how cars react (although I don't know how realistic this is since I've never driven a car at the limit). I often play LFS with a G25 and I think it helped when I learned driving, the controls felt natural albeit different to the game. While a friend who started driving around the same time and never actually played some racing games (because he isn't very interested in cars in general) had more difficulties with getting comfortable with the controls especially the clutch. Or is that just because I am more interested in cars and more eager to learn things about it in the first place?

Racing games, at best, will help you with steering and throttle input. No game has yet bothered to model the clutch properly, so it's not taught you ANYTHING there.

They are very good at teaching general cornering strategy as well. However, that knowledge isn't going to help you when you start driving like a normal person. All that really matters at that stage is whether or not you feel comfortable with the idea of driving and can cope with all the sensory input required. Video games can definitely help with both of those concepts.

Good friend of mine has one that's about 2 months old now, seems pretty solid and looks decent. Can't really see anything wrong with it. It's a bit bland maybe, but that's all.

A couple of magazines - EVO amongst them - have tried "video game vs real life" features.

The results, generally, are as follows :

- Video games are fun
- Video games let you try things you might not risk in real life*
- Games are great for learning track layouts and cornering (see : people who drive the 'Ring in a game then do it inreal life)
- Video games don't quite replicate the full driving experience yet though
- Real life has no reset button

*I think this quote is from a professional racing driver

I'm in a "Svilen can fix everything" mood today! I just drained my ATF...all I needed was the proper tool, and then it was like a walk in the park. Took the car for a drive after that. The shifts seem to be smoother...I'll do another drain-fill on Saturday, and I'll report on the final result.

I'm so cocky, that I will even attempt to change my oil for the first time next week.

(Nevertheless, I'm still a mechanic noob)

Why would you drain and refill the trans fluid twice? and did you remove the pan to change the filter(assumes it is an automatic)?

I'm in a "Svilen can fix everything" mood today! I just drained my ATF...all I needed was the proper tool, and then it was like a walk in the park. Took the car for a drive after that. The shifts seem to be smoother...I'll do another drain-fill on Saturday, and I'll report on the final result.

I'm so cocky, that I will even attempt to change my oil for the first time next week.

(Nevertheless, I'm still a mechanic noob)

Sorry I'm late with this one. :D

poster7645750.jpg

Can I get one for working the washing machine?

Mrs was shocked :rolleyes:

Pick up my Exclusiv tomorrow. Heated leather= ftw. So does the climate control although right now its raining and cold so seems abit ott.

Damn it! I?ve run out of arguments. I?m trying to tell a friend to buy a used Golf V over a used Skoda Oktavia (II). And I just can?t come up with something rational or meaningful! With the same kit, the oktavia is slightly cheaper (if you want to call 500-1000 Euro slightly)... and bigger ... technically they are the same car anyway (thx VW plattform) and skoda scores so damn well in customer satisfaction these days it makes it impossible to argue that the Golf is the better car! I want to argue against the size and the lifestyle (sedan vs hatchback - parking and image) ... but I would feel silly doing that. Damn it Golf V! Why do you hold your value so damn good!! Now I?m going to end up in the passengerseat of a 1,5 year old oktavia! I?ll prob even be dragged along for some testdrives!!!!

Life is cruel. :(
The Golf is a hatchback and looks meaner.
The Octavia is a sedan and targets old people.
Therefore tell your friend Golf > Octavia

Image is the only reason VAG has four core brands anyway.

Why would you drain and refill the trans fluid twice? and did you remove the pan to change the filter(assumes it is an automatic)?

Because the people that designed the transmission were retarded.
Total capacity is ~8 litres, but when you drain it from under the car, you can only drain 3.5 litres...the rest is still in the gears. So with every drain, I only change 33% of the fluid.

And no - this transmission does not have a filter :?:?:?

Anyways, I just did my second drain-fill, and I'm glad to report that everything still works. It's much smoother now. I still have problems with it, but I think that's because the solenoid that controls the pressure is toast. At least the fluid is clean now.