Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

^:lol:

i have been with a speed limit and already found the ire of all of you, the Camry driver going 10 under. also, it's lovely how can a song sum up pretty much the feelings of having a speed limit [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfNATuw1DRs[/YOUTUBE]

i have been with a speed limit and already found the ire of all of you, the Camry driver going 10 under. also, it's lovely how can a song sum up pretty much the feelings of having a speed limit [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfNATuw1DRs[/YOUTUBE]

That song can ruin relationships. My right shoulder is permanently damaged from all the punches I've received over the years as a direct consequence of that song.

I lol'd

80's music videos are hilarious.

A couple days ago at work we had a possibility of the river across the street cresting and the lot flooding. I spent the rest of my day moving as many cars as possible to the higher end of the lot at the back. I still needed to block the front gate with something. I chose a Dodge Caliber. I was slightly dissapointed that the river didn't crest.

A couple days ago at work we had a possibility of the river across the street cresting and the lot flooding. I spent the rest of my day moving as many cars as possible to the higher end of the lot at the back. I still needed to block the front gate with something. I chose a Dodge Caliber. I was slightly dissapointed that the river didn't crest.

How is the flooding where you are?
My granny lives in duncan, but has been lucky so far. Both her neighbors basments have flooded.

So I finally got around to crunching the numbers on my little Honda's fuel economy. I knew it would be pretty good but the fact that I have to rev the pants off it to get anywhere made me thing the economy would not be as high as it should be. Plus the thing was built in the '60s. The calculator told a different story: 111 mpg. :shock: Yes, that's triple-digit fuel economy. :dance:

But on the plus side you've scientifically proven that water is repelled by ugliness.

I was just watching TV and a GMC Sierra commercial came on. Talking to thevictor390 via chat I accidentally called it the GMC Silverado, which made me realize.... They keep complaining about a lack of money (and sucking down tax payers' money) yet they keep both Chevy Trucks and GMC.

So, my solution:
1. Get rid of one of them (IMO, Chevy Trucks)
2. Double production of other
3. Half spending on advertising.

Instead they got rid of Pontiac....... <_<

Is it just me or do people seem to be exceptionally brand loyal when it comes to trucks though? I'm not sure why it is, but I can imagine a "chevy man" would never buy a GMC even if it was identical except for some stickers.

Is it just me or do people seem to be exceptionally brand loyal when it comes to trucks though? I'm not sure why it is, but I can imagine a "chevy man" would never buy a GMC even if it was identical except for some stickers.

Indeed. It costs nothing extra to actually build the two brands of truck, since they're basically just different options packs on the same line. They could unify the interiors a bit more, but beyond that there isn't much fat to cut. Marketing is the only thing that costs extra, and IMO GMC doesn't need nearly the level that it gets based upon its significantly lower volume.

Last edited:
Indeed. It costs nothing extra to actually build the two brands of truck, since they're basically just different options packs on the same line. They could unify the interiors a bit more, but beyond that there isn't much fat to cut. Marketing is the only thing that costs extra, and IMO GMC doesn't need nearly the level that it gets based upon its significantly lower volume.

It might not cost extra to build a second brand, but it does cost a lot extra to advertise.

Exactly, and therefore they need to cut it the hell out advertising GMC left right and center. Build 'em, put 'em on the dealership lots, and put up the damn websites. For non-loyal customers, GMC should be an upsell - which the salesperson should be responsible for.

Maybe a little traditional advertising, but DEFINITELY not the 1:1 parity with Chevy Trucks it has right now.

Been that way for quite some time, regardless of marketing. I drove a 1988 GMC 3/4 ton van - it was DEAD IDENTICAL in every way to its Chevy contemporary, with the exception of a hunk of wood (literally a hunk - not a veneer - it was an inch thick) of wood screwed (not attached in any subtle way - bigass visible phillips head screws through the whole thing) onto the insturment panel bezel. Even that may not have been original equipment - that may have been the doing of the upfitter.

I just learned (and don't shoot me for this) that the Audi S4 no longer has a V8.... It's a supercharged V6? What the hell.... that was the point of the S4, sure it's still got the horse power, but THE SOUND!!! It was so good. Oh well. Looks like the New S4 is off the list of "cars I would buy"

Been that way for quite some time, regardless of marketing. I drove a 1988 GMC 3/4 ton van - it was DEAD IDENTICAL in every way to its Chevy contemporary, with the exception of a hunk of wood (literally a hunk - not a veneer - it was an inch thick) of wood screwed (not attached in any subtle way - bigass visible phillips head screws through the whole thing) onto the insturment panel bezel. Even that may not have been original equipment - that may have been the doing of the upfitter.

In the early 90s my mom drove a Safari van. I vividly remember going to the dealer and test driving one that had half Safari badges and half Astro. They were EXACTLY the same. I'm still not sure why they were so hung up on having the Safari.

At one point in time the GMC brand was for comercial vehicles and Chevys were for the average Joe Public. That got screwed up and they both started selling to the average Joe and comercial accounts. I said it should be one or the other a long time ago, but nobody listens to me. If it were done that way, GM would of had the best selling truck for past 30+ years.

After changing my ATF, I took a 240 mile drive to see if it improved anything, and it has! The shifts are a lot smoother.

However one problem remains, and unfortunately unrepairable. It's the solenoid that controls the pressure in the transmission. As a result, when the fluid is warm and I'm coming to a stop, the transmission drops out of gear, until I step on the gas again. The only way to get a new one is to get a new valve body...which means a second transmission. And I'm not doing this.

Now, two people told me what they've been doing to avoid the dropping out of gear. Every time they are braking to a stop, they shift into neutral and coast till stop. After that, put back in Drive and it goes in without any clunks or noises.

Is it okay for the automatic transmission to be shifted into Neutral when slowing down to a stop? Will that hurt/damage anything? (Spectre?)