Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Shell has been making pretty wild changes on its strategy. For instance, withdrawing from the Honduran market altogether.

My anecdotal evidence seems to dictate that I get slightly better mileage from BP over Shell, both with standard in my old car and premium in the new one.

I've always used Chevron gas, because they were the closest gas station other than Shell, and Shell gas was blamed as one of the causes for early 90's Dodges having issues with the fuel gauge.

On a side note. The guy that hit me on the highway yesterday got into another accident about 45min after the cop sent him on his way. He drove into the concrete barriers on the shoulder and dragged his Landcruiser along for 200m before stopping. His excuse, "he was tired". Pisses me off even more, and there is a possibility that my car is going to be a write off. Rough estimate of the damage was $5000+, with the going resale value being between $5000 and $10000.

My 190E used to get decidedly better mileage on Shell fuel than others, together with a Shell station being the most conveniently placed along my route to work means that I almost exclusively use Shell fuels.

My car runs much nicer on BP, and more economical too.

My 190E used to get decidedly better mileage on Shell fuel than others, together with a Shell station being the most conveniently placed along my route to work means that I almost exclusively use Shell fuels.

similar here. shell's the only stuff that's brought me above 500km for one tank (of <20liters that is). plus, it's nearby and i get 1 cent off of every liter :p

I hate people who stick 2 inches away from my rear bumper.
If you do this, be warned, I drive a 1996 Renault 19 which is worth next to nothing, and I will slam my brakes and make you pay for it and increase your insurance premiums.

(this is a rhetorical warning, nobody here drives in Portugal I know. just wanted to get it off my chest)

Last edited:
it's true that Shell gets better mileage, but that's only when you use their "V-Max" variant (both in petrol and diesel now)
that Variant also gives you more power, but is a LOT more expensive. In the end, it's the same no matter which one you get, price wise

If you do this, be warned, I drive a 1996 Renault 19 which is worth next to nothing, and I will slam my brakes and make you pay for it and increase your insurance premiums.

(this is a rhetorical warning, nobody here drives in Portugal I know. just wanted to get it off my chest)

i hate those idiots as well... i won't go as far as slamming my brakes or anything, but i will definitely slow down just to annoy the hell out of those people. if they keep sticking to my bumper, i will touch my brakes just for the light-show - continually... that usually drives them off a little.

it's true that Shell gets better mileage, but that's only when you use their "V-Max" variant (both in petrol and diesel now)
that Variant also gives you more power, but is a LOT more expensive. In the end, it's the same no matter which one you get, price wise

they only have "fuel saver" stuff all over the place here now. no "ordinary" diesel/petrol anymore... but since it costs the same as ordinary... why not? :dunno:

If your on a motor way that's 2 lanes both ways try to stick in formation with the car to your side. It drives tailgater's crazy.

Driving my car for the first time in 3 weeks, this may take a while :D

Dear god the Suzuki Vitara / Chevrolet Tracker is an atrocious vehicle.

So other people also like Shell...

I also noticed that I get better gas mileage with Shell...but not with this NEW Shell station that used to be Chevron. That was the whole reason why I wrote about this - I think they are scamming me and giving the old Chevron crap, and not proper Shell.

My brother just came home with a 1986 Toyota Celica to replace his 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer. He's adamant that despite being 15 years older, the Celica is by far the better car. That's not really difficult, though, as the Lancer really was a uninspiring heap of lifeless excrement.

My brother just came home with a 1986 Toyota Celica to replace his 2001 Mitsubishi Lancer. He's adamant that despite being 15 years older, the Celica is by far the better car. That's not really difficult, though, as the Lancer really was a uninspiring heap of lifeless excrement.

Your brother is a sensible guy.

About the fuels, not sure how it is with the C, since I've only filled it up with Shell diesel, but with the 190E it did 9.5-10l/100km on most fuels, and 8.5-9 on Shell (V-Power gave me as low as 7.5 on occasions). I fill up with V-Power about once a month, mostly because they claim it cleans your fuel system. The price difference isn't THAT big, and it won't hurt.

And when filling up at the Gulf, it's so much cheaper than at a petrol station :p

I can't scoop up fuel whilst flying, espeically when I have the afterburner on :p