Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

One of the most comfortable 1000km I've ever travelled was in this:
*loldustyEF*

(yes, it's a bit dusty)

Bought for $500, driven between Wagga Wagga and Wollongong (and between Canberra and Wollongong) more times than I can count. Sold a couple of years later for $2500. Perfect road trip car.

Fuck yeah EF. I have a EL :p

V6 Camry. Seriously.

I second this. It's not only more economical than the F150 of that vintage, but less likely to crumple like an accordion if something were to happen. Granted at 90 mph, yeah anything's pretty much going to fall apart but i'd take my chances in something that didn't do so at only 40 mph.

Plus, I may or may not have a secret crush on the 97-2001 Camry....seriously they're nice cars. Boring yes. But ultra refined and with a interior that's only a half step down from the third gen that came before it in terms of quality.

Last edited:
So after my Vancouver-Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Vancouver road trip this past long weekend I started wondering what would be the best road trip car? Although 5000kms in a 110hp, 2 door hatchback is doable, its not ideal.

So far the car would need.
Cruise Control
Excellent heat/AC
Cloth interior (leather gets to hot and sticky)
Lots of luggage space
Enough power to easily pass on the highway and cruise comfortably at 140kph
Good lights
Nice smooth riding suspension that doesnt wallow and float when it geeds twisty
Enough room to put the passenger seat back and have feet on the dash.

What would fit that description and that you wouldnt dread driving? Nothing from the last 10 years.

20091116085731!2000-2001_Holden_VX_Commodore_S_sedan_01.jpg

Only in Australia, were you guys high when you were naming places?

I knew someone would pick up on that :lol:

I'll choose nearby place names to make it more understandable for foreigners: between Forest Hill and Shellharbour.

Last edited:
He didn't say North America specificly, he just said what car would you use for a road trip that covered certain categories.

True, but it would be rather difficult for him to get one in Vancouver. :p :mrgreen:

Was the law on car importation in Canada is that you can import anything older than 15 years? In that case he could personally import the Falcon, even if he will be on the other side of the car :p

So after my Vancouver-Los Angeles-Las Vegas-Vancouver road trip this past long weekend I started wondering what would be the best road trip car? Although 5000kms in a 110hp, 2 door hatchback is doable, its not ideal.

So far the car would need.
Cruise Control
Excellent heat/AC
Cloth interior (leather gets to hot and sticky)
Lots of luggage space
Enough power to easily pass on the highway and cruise comfortably at 140kph
Good lights
Nice smooth riding suspension that doesnt wallow and float when it geeds twisty
Enough room to put the passenger seat back and have feet on the dash.

What would fit that description and that you wouldnt dread driving? Nothing from the last 10 years.

Haha, that actually fits my Sapporo on all counts.

People who put feet on dash look funny after airbag goes off.

Yup, that never ceases to amaze me - so many people (usually women) put their feet up on the dash... right on top of the airbag blowout panel, the one that says SRS or AIRBAG on it.

Now, many cars in the US have a passenger airbag deactivation switch, and many CVPIs have their passenger airbags turned off or completely removed before you get them. Most of the cars I see hauling around passengers with their feet up on the dash don't have the mandatory "AIRBAG OFF" light illuminated, so if something happens or the charge just misfires for some reason, the passenger is going to have a bad day...

Last edited:
Its not something that I'd normally do, or let other people do; but when the last car you saw was 1/2 hour ago and the road hasn't even curved or dipped in a half hour then its nice to stretch out for a little while.

Its not something that I'd normally do, or let other people do; but when the last car you saw was 1/2 hour ago and the road hasn't even curved or dipped in a half hour then its nice to stretch out for a little while.

And then the driver falls asleep and manages to hit the only tree in a 100 mile radius.

They really don't want people to park here at my uni. To park on campus it costs ?3 for the day, and if you want to leave the car overnight its ?5 per night. The fact they really don't have enough parking spaces doesn't help either - the staff take them all up.

Either way, while its nice to have the car up here, I won't miss the charges once it goes back home on Friday. <_<