Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think I'm in love.... and I'm in this for the long haul.

Dodge-Ram_Long-Hauler_Concept_2011_photo_02.jpg

Dodge-Ram_Long-Hauler_Concept_2011_photo_04.jpg

That's so ridiculous it's so awesome! On another note, we need a 600cc motorcycle for our FSAE car(we're just looking now) but what would be a good bike for it. Not something new, we'll most likely go used because we don't have a budget. Also, any good drawings of 600cc engines(mounting points, etc.). My friends said you couldn't find those kind of schematics but they haven't heard of the power of FG.

Wow, that dodge is enormous.

Maybe, but he didn't invent the three point belt, just made off with the idea, modified it a bit and installed them in Volvos. He was not the inventor of the three point seatbelt, just the person who popularized them - much like Steve Jobs is not the inventor of the tablet computer, but he and his company has certainly popularized it. Idiots claiming Steve Jobs invented the tablet are just as wrong as the assertion that Bohlin invented the three point seat belt. First use as standard equipment? Yes, full credit. Inventor? No.

As you can tell from my original post, my point was Caddy and Merc did not do all the work. Lots of important safety features have come from others. Volvo serves as a prime example for making safety work in mass-produced cars.

I think I'm in love.... and I'm in this for the long haul.

Dodge-Ram_Long-Hauler_Concept_2011_photo_02.jpg

Dodge-Ram_Long-Hauler_Concept_2011_photo_04.jpg

Didn't you just get rid of your truck in favor of......that other thing? :p

The beauty of it is that when his VW breaks down he can load it in his truck bed.

I'd like to think my Truck-love is still on par with my hot-hatch love. I just don't have the financial means to support both at once.

But one day when you see a Dodge Ram hauling around a Golf R in it's bed, you'll smile and say "Oh that Canuck, what a tard".

What's the turning radius of that thing? Mars?

Last edited:
Beater Accord Aerodeck is once again on the road. Still some minor bugs to work out, it have been stored in a shruberry for 1,5 years after all, but now i have a working car again!

The wheelbase is comparable to that of a city bus.

A good 5m is hardly a bus.....more a small commercial truck, meh, alot bigger things on alot smaller streets etc etc.....

not sure if awesome

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2011/05/03/5pbA.jpeg

That's so ridiculous it's so awesome! On another note, we need a 600cc motorcycle for our FSAE car(we're just looking now) but what would be a good bike for it. Not something new, we'll most likely go used because we don't have a budget. Also, any good drawings of 600cc engines(mounting points, etc.). My friends said you couldn't find those kind of schematics but they haven't heard of the power of FG.
There's an FSAE thread in the Motorsports (or Racing, or something :p) sub-forum. You could also ask in the General Motorcycle thread. To answer your question, you really can't go wrong with a Honda engine. Their durability will come in handy in something like an FSAE car. Maybe someone else knows a source for schematics, but I don't. Couldn't hurt to try contacting the manufacturers directly.

Part of the problem is that the 600cc sportbike class is hypercompetitive and it is not unknown for makers to release completely redesigned engines (indeed, whole bikes) every 2-3 years - so you will want to obtain a bike first rather than lock yourself in to an engine you might not be able to find an example of.

Look for crashed and totaled Honda CBR600 and Yamaha R6 models as late models can be cheaply had and power output is tremendous. A 2010 R6 cranks out 131hp at 14500 RPM (and you will *really* want to keep the ram air system - including the stock airbox - intact on it) and the engine weighs less than 200lbs. I trust you've made provision for water cooling?

Last edited:
We're not that far ahead into the project but yes, it should be water cooled. Though the 20mm air flow restrictor plate should take its toll on the engine's performance.

We're not that far ahead into the project but yes, it should be water cooled. Though the 20mm air flow restrictor plate should take its toll on the engine's performance.

Not that you have much choice, pretty much everything in the 600cc sportbike class is water cooled. :p

20mm restrictor plate? Laaaaaaaame. :p