Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Also my primer is white. Stonechips show like a motherfucker. I did successfull repairs this weekend with lots of toothpicks, a steady hand and ages of patience. Not as good as a pro, but good enough that I can't see them anymore from 40 cm away. Anyone have a way of applying the clearcoat without machining it down afterwards like a pro?

I suggest you get a lobotomy and have all memories of your previous employers removed. :p

I tried Meguiars deep clean something and it did wonders to the light cobwebbing I had in my paint. Good stuff, a bit pricey but they last forever and smell funny (their shampoos smells just like human shampoo!) Still, rubbing away at the car isn't much fun, I think I am in need of a machine.

I read that machines can be dangerous though, you apply it for a few seconds too long and it can eat right through to the metal.

But then again, I don't see you can apply products that nicely just by hand... sure Mr. Miyagi had his special way, but I dunno, doesn't seem like it would be even remotely as nice as a machine.

Does anyone have an idea how hard it is to master working with orbital detailing machines?

Hah, I'm a firm member of the procrastination club XD. I have a Hackintosh project that has pretty much gone nowhere. :p

Me too, I think I hatched that project back in 2007. :lol:

Orbital machines are easy, as long as you keep them moving and don't apply heavy pressure you'll be fine. And you can use a less aggressive compound to start if you're unsure.

With those usernames, this looks like a monologue :p

I have a cheap Cotech double-pad buffing machine, and with Meguiar's Scratch-X I haven't gone through any paint yet.

Regarding the car I saw yesterday, I'm probably gonna get it. The only thing I'm worried about is that the putty here looks smudged. Could that be something? The engine strut on that side of the car looked good.

http://imageshack.**/m/822/1223/unled1uq.jpg

what did the chassisbeam look like? that much rust on that location might indicate it's been in a pretty heavy crash somewhere down the line...
doesn't help you're from romania either, we send all our crashed cars there :lol:

what did the chassisbeam look like? that much rust on that location might indicate it's been in a pretty heavy crash somewhere down the line...
doesn't help you're from romania either, we send all our crashed cars there :lol:

Car was bought from here, and that's dirt, not rust. Chasisbeam looked straight.

So that Merc I was looking at earlier ended up selling for less than $1500. I'm a bit disappointed I didn't put a bid in, I expected it to sell for much more than that. Anyway, if I can find another in that same ballpark figure, I will be very happy.

Why does my car constantly have so many stupid annoying inexpensive things wrong with it. Oops, 3 weeks have gone by, time to go to the shop again. It's not like you can justify a new car for a hood latch, apparently catching victor's RX-8's trunk problem and the wiper fluid being fucked for the 5th time.

Why does my car constantly have so many stupid annoying inexpensive things wrong with it. Oops, 3 weeks have gone by, time to go to the shop again. It's not like you can justify a new car for a hood latch, apparently catching victor's RX-8's trunk problem and the wiper fluid being fucked for the 5th time.

I'm in the same boat sadly. I can't exactly justify selling the dammed thing over a "loose connection" etc. Plus id make peanuts off of the dammed thing anyway due to the odo being broken, very small roof leak at the rear window, and pillar trim that suddenly decided to pop off the sides of the car. I work so id need a car immediately after selling the one I have (as in literally the same or next day) In my case I think its better to save up as much as I can then once I have say, 2k, I put the car up for sale.

Regarding the car I saw yesterday, I'm probably gonna get it. The only thing I'm worried about is that the putty here looks smudged. Could that be something? The engine strut on that side of the car looked good.

http://imageshack.**/m/822/1223/unled1uq.jpg

I'd say that the puttying should be fairly consistent. Then again if it was done by a human at the assembly plant maybe they were new or had a bad day. The other side doesn't look puttied at all....

It sucks that it seems that every other european country sends their rebuilt wrecks to your country. Finding something that hasn't been wrapped round a tree then hastily put back together shouldn't be this difficult. Is there carfax (or similar) where you live? While not bulletproof its at least one way to check.

EDIT: apologies for the double post, sent via phone, blahhhh

Last edited:
I'd say that the puttying should be fairly consistent. Then again if it was done by a human at the assembly plant maybe they were new or had a bad day. The other side doesn't look puttied at all....

It looks better IRL than in the photo. Also, the car looks good overall, is clean, has a service history and the timing was recently done. Doesn't rattle, nothing. Paint is good minus a scratch and a taillight that a rock flew through.

My what? You mean those scratches on the bumper right below the trunk opening? My best guess for those is people resting stuff there (the bumper protrudes) before loading them in.

Oh wait, there was the not responding to key thing too..... fix for that is taking it through an automated car wash on the highest setting :lol:

My what? You mean those scratches on the bumper right below the trunk opening? My best guess for those is people resting stuff there (the bumper protrudes) before loading them in.

Oh wait, there was the not responding to key thing too..... fix for that is taking it through an automated car wash on the highest setting :lol:

Yeah it is the key thing, well actually I did not try the key my issue is the button on the door no longer pops the trunk which is really annoying when you are trying to fix the stupid wiper fluid and the jug is in the trunk <_<

What really pisses me off is that the fucking fluid hose goes down under the car for really no reason, so even though I could probably fix that myself I would need a lift to get at it.

That location is most likely sealed by human hands, it's a bit fiddly getting there. However I am also puzzled about why it's so messy when the other side has a nice straight seal. Unless the left side is done by sprayer for some unknown reason. Sprayseals are great in wheelarches and other places the customer doesnt look, but not up there.

I suggest you get a lobotomy and have all memories of your previous employers removed. :p
Yes that might help, altough to be perfectly honest I have a hard time remembering all of them as it is! I am a bit of a workslut.

Last edited:
I'm watching Motorweek, I know :yawn:, but they reviewed the new 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD. I'm sold, I want one. They finally got rid of those giant parrot beak looking front grills and toned it down quite a bit. The performance it great with the 3.7L V6 and it's surprisingly economical, all things considered.

https://pic.armedcats.net/t/to/tomcat/2011/05/21/2012-Acura-TL-Black-Edition.jpg

Oh, and the new 7-series BMW looks like a pig from the front.

I quite like that car, especially the fact that you can still get it with a manual gearbox! :)

Yep, and they're surprisingly quick around a track. There was actually a comparison test posted in the video offers thread a while back where they compared one to an EVO and Audi S4 and somehow the TL SH-AWD with the manual posted a faster lap time. Japanese witchcraft.

Yeah it is the key thing, well actually I did not try the key my issue is the button on the door no longer pops the trunk which is really annoying when you are trying to fix the stupid wiper fluid and the jug is in the trunk <_<

What really pisses me off is that the fucking fluid hose goes down under the car for really no reason, so even though I could probably fix that myself I would need a lift to get at it.

Alot of these problems can be remedied quite cheaply.

Faulty hood latch? Duct tape, rope, tow strap, bungie cords, etc. If none of these sound good, then there is always the junkyard. Why go to the stealership?

Windshield washer not working? I can think of a number of fixes for that. One thing is to get a bottle of wiper fluid, poke some tiny holes in the cap, then pour it over the windshield then immediately activate the wipers until clear. And no I'm not kidding/trolling, this is what I've been doing for years

Remember, I drive a Saab, Kat. The acronym for Saab is Something's Almost Always Broken. So in order for me to keep my car on the road without going bankrupt I have to be creative sometimes.