Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

http://img863.imageshack.**/img863/1526/citroencx4001758l9aac09.jpg

Back in Sept, I emailed a dude with a cheap but straight CX. He asked 700ish euro for it, but told me it had 414k on the clock - which is kind of a steep figure. I let it pass; this week it popped back for 450 euro, same seller. He apparently managed to get rid of it, as it's now for sale again with a 1200 euro sticker price in another town. Let's see if the flipper can get a profit from it. The odo reading has never been disclosed in any of the ad, and I don't think anybody's fiddled with it. It's also a lowly CX 20 TRE, but it's a 1986 post-facelift model which in my opinion looks better than the chrome one.

I accidentally shifted into first gear instead of third today while driving around town. I think I was going at 30-40kph The car slowed down as if I was braking hard but I immediately pressed the clutch and the brake. I think I did a very big engine brake. No harm done, right? I mean, I didn't hear anything, it just slowed down fast.

Last edited:
^if it doesn't blow up on the spot, not much harm is done (granted it was on operating temp)

I accidentally shifted into first gear instead of third today while driving around town. I think I was going at 30-40kph The car slowed down as if I was braking hard but I immediately pressed the clutch and the brake. I think I did a very big engine brake. No harm done, right? I mean, I didn't hear anything, it just slowed down fast.

At that speed you probably didn't even push it beyond the rev limiter. It will be fine :)

I really hate having to sneeze while driving.

I know maybe this isn't the place but I really need to find the manual for a Yamaha F4A outboard engine. Maybe someone knows? I'll post the Manga artwork from the Japanese manual tomorrow.

Ooh I like doing heel-and-toe during my daily commute. Perfectly placed pedals and an off-ramp right before my workplace just make it harder to resist.

2 of them in a row and my dad ran his truck through fence posts and trees. Sneezed as a curve came up and when he could see again the road was to the left.

nah no prob. I once shifted from 2nd when I wanted 4th, at around 100 kph in my old Golf. To this day I do not understand how it did not blow up on the spot....

Protip : if you've just cleaned your dashboard and want to keep it sneeze free, don't aim for the air vents, as you will get hit in the face with your own boogers.

true story

Just finished a 240 km trip, and during the whole drive i was accompanied by Douglas Adams reading The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy. Thank god for mp3 stereos. :D

Sigh...
I just went to the shop where the GTI is, I'm having the clutch replaced as regular maintenance. I went over there since my mechanic said I *had* to look at something.

When I get there, there is nothing wrong thankfully, but he shows me the kind of clutch my car had before (I bought it like that). It is a full on race car clutch disc, pressure plate and other hardware with absolutely no springs. Apparently this thing is such a brute on gear changes (mind you I have taken the car to the track a couple times) that it caused my premature diff suicide.

IDIOTS! Who fits a race clutch on a daily driver is beyond me. Thank goodness that it now has a proper uprated clutch, but with OEM fitment and characteristics.

Edit:
It looks more or less like the one in this link: (can't copy the img since I'm on my iPad).

http://en.sachsperformance.com/sach...sgefederte-scheibe-mit-organischen-2-2-2.html

Last edited:
I have decided on what car I will be buying in August. There are three options, and I love each one. It will just depend on availability at that moment and in the area.

Option 1: 1998 S70 T5 Manual, hopefully red just like the one in the picture
image_url-6183-1299386880.jpg

Option 2: 2002-2005 S60 T5 Manual. This next one is actually up for sale in Dallas for $8000
IMG_2429.jpg

Option 3: 2004-2005 S60R Manual...I am a bit iffy on that one. Not much faster than the T5's but a lot more expensive to maintain.

I know the S60's are more modern and better looking, but I love the classic boxiness of the S70. Plus, I am very familiar with it mechanically. The engine is very similar to what I have now, except for the turbocharger.

You know what they say....the devil you know :)

Well, my car has been generally dependable and cheap to fix. 1998 was the last year Volvo used "old technology". No electronic throttle, simple oil filter (not a cartridge one), no AWD, no electronic suspension, etc...

I know a lot of people laugh at me and my love for Volvos, but this kind of car just gives me everything I want - plenty of room, fairly modern (the S70 has an updated interior), comfortable seats, sporty but not too harsh ride, and it's also fairly fast (the T5 in question is 240hp and can do 0-60 in 7 seconds, top speed around 150mph).

I've looked at other cars, but I can't seem to find anything short of a sports car that I like as much as the Volvo. If I had the budget, I would get a DB7.

To be fair, with the automotive fetishes that populate this forum, your love of Volvos isn't really a point of mockery, it's the trouble you've been having with it and the way it's been hard to diagnose.