Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Why do all of a sudden I want one of these:

wpid-Fiat_Tempra_1.4_Weekend_1990_10198.jpg

It's a 90'sfiat for crying out load, what could it possibly...

Tempra.jpg

So, do you know someone selling one?

I'd highly recommend it. I love mine. Don't expect the fuel mileage to be THAT good though. It's still a V8.

As for the price, I really hope the price of these cars stays down, because I still want my LS6 454 4spd 1970 El Camino, and at this point it's actually feasible, but if the price starts to go up to Chevelle territory, I'm screwed.

I'm assuming it's a 5th gen? Check for rust behind the rear wheels on the frame, and also underneath where the bed meets the cab, and the lower corners of the smugglers box on the underside of the car.

They drive a bit boat-like in stock form, but you can get some swaybars off a Cutlass S or equivalent G-body and it really tightens them up.

It is a fourth gem* :p (76-7 can tell by headlights). It is really solid body wise, and it sounded good with the stock 350 4 barrel and an updated dual exhaust. Forget the exact mileage, but it was about 150k and spent the last 20 years in Arizona for the winter. It will need a paint job (sun fade), and some interior updates, but me thinks it is possible. And I know it will be 70s era gas mileage, but as long as you take it easy, it ain't bad. And once it is upgraded with the driveline out of the Roadmaster, it will get around the same mileage I get with that now (22 mpg avg, better on long hauls). This is exactly the kind of thing I have wanted to do for a while. I have almost everything I need to do the Roadmaster, except another vehicle to drive. I planned on buying my parents van when they updated vehicles, but that has been put on hold(full size Chevy).

Sound like a pretty sweet plan you've got there!

Does it have the swivelling seat as you open the door? I always loved that about the 4th gens.

My ESP saved my car (and my life, likely) yesterday, when my rear-right tire disintegrated on a motorway at 130 kph. Not a sound, but the tread literally came off the tire shoulders. I am currently investigating on what happened, if it was something damaging the tire shoulder (interior) and then setting all this mess up or if it was flawed when it got out of the factory. The tire was a Continental SportContact 3. Have you ever heard something similar or do you know what can cause the tire to give way like this?

In any case, I like my car more now.

Last edited:
Sound like a pretty sweet plan you've got there!

Does it have the swivelling seat as you open the door? I always loved that about the 4th gens.

I don't think so, but that would be perfect for my half crippled ass. I did know a few peeps that had them in that era Cutlass. I wonder if I can order one.

Of course, it would get warmed up a bit(180HP is simply not enough).

Any reason you aren't going the LT1 route?

Probably because the LT1 would be going into the Roadmaster. The L05 5.7 liter from the Roadmaster would be going into the El Camino.

My dad had the swivel buckets in his '73 Monte Carlo. They were cool at first, but a PITA to swivel. When the knob on the lever to swivel the seat broke, we didn't bother fixing it.

It is a fourth gem* :p (76-7 can tell by headlights). It is really solid body wise, and it sounded good with the stock 350 4 barrel and an updated dual exhaust. Forget the exact mileage, but it was about 150k and spent the last 20 years in Arizona for the winter. It will need a paint job (sun fade), and some interior updates, but me thinks it is possible. And I know it will be 70s era gas mileage, but as long as you take it easy, it ain't bad. And once it is upgraded with the driveline out of the Roadmaster, it will get around the same mileage I get with that now (22 mpg avg, better on long hauls). This is exactly the kind of thing I have wanted to do for a while. I have almost everything I need to do the Roadmaster, except another vehicle to drive. I planned on buying my parents van when they updated vehicles, but that has been put on hold(full size Chevy).

I hate you so much right now I Can cut it with a knife <_<

El Camino's are like the freaking holy grail in US cars over here, every time you find one its either the price of a brandnew hatchback, or its a collection of rusted panels with an interior the dog ate and a few boxes of (mostly already broken) parts with a 'good luck' note taped to it. :p

@ gaasc, walk it off man, walk it off......

Last edited:
Probably because the LT1 would be going into the Roadmaster. The L05 5.7 liter from the Roadmaster would be going into the El Camino.

My dad had the swivel buckets in his '73 Monte Carlo. They were cool at first, but a PITA to swivel. When the knob on the lever to swivel the seat broke, we didn't bother fixing it.

I meant putting an LT1 in the roadmaster instead of the LSx he mentioned.

Ah. That makes a lot more sense. It seems to me to be a lot simpler to put an LT1 in a Roadmaster than an LSx. After all, an LT1 was factory installed in the Roadmaster from 1994-96.

Any reason you aren't going the LT1 route?

Don't have an LT1 laying around. I can squeeze plenty of power out of that LO5. The LS6 is going into my toy, and the Camino will be my work horse. If I go all the way with the Roadmaster(sedan BTW), it will have the complete Vette drive line and independent suspension.

Don't have an LT1 laying around. I can squeeze plenty of power out of that LO5. The LS6 is going into my toy, and the Camino will be my work horse. If I go all the way with the Roadmaster(sedan BTW), it will have the complete Vette drive line and independent suspension.

Ah OK. It just seems a whole lot more work. But it would make one hell of a sleeper with 400 or so hp.

Last edited:
Well, I have done worse. Just out of high school I had a friend that had a Corvair that got rear ended. It ended up with the front drive of a Toronado on the back with a 425.

I could go with the LS6 and a 4l60e and maintain the solid axle, but.........

@ gaasc, walk it off man, walk it off......

But...the dash...

It's all a bit ridiculous really, The range rover has a fully Digital dash, someone must modify it back to 80's digital goodness. It's technically possible, right?

I don't care what people say, starting up a C4 Corvette is one of the coolest things that can happen to a dashboard. Instantly fell in love. And I can't find a Youtube of it.