Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My ESP saved my car (and my life, likely) yesterday, when my rear-right tire disintegrated on a motorway at 130 kph. Not a sound, but the tread literally came off the tire shoulders. I am currently investigating on what happened, if it was something damaging the tire shoulder (interior) and then setting all this mess up or if it was flawed when it got out of the factory. The tire was a Continental SportContact 3. Have you ever heard something similar or do you know what can cause the tire to give way like this?

In any case, I like my car more now.

First of all. Glad to hear your ok. :)

As for your question, the whole tread separation thing really got into the public eye here in the states (and other countries who sold it) with the massive Ford Explorer/Firestone Tire recall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Rollover_and_Firestone_Tire_controversy

As you'll read it was a mix of driver error, questionable design decisions, and more.

EDIT: last night i had a dream that for some reason i was driving through a pitch black tunnel, my lights wouldn't turn on and i had a severe accident, totaling the car.

If that's not a hint, I dunno what is.

Last edited:
So I got word that someone I met really wants to buy my Toyota. At first I didn't think twice about it. I like my truck and I would drive it more, but I need to fix a few things first, put a few more dollars into it. Then I started thinking about it. The offer I got was substantially more than my total investment in the truck already. And truth be told, I don't really care for the serious off-road stuff anymore. Running moderate trails and seeing the sights is fun, but serious rock crawling and/or badly rutted out excuses for trails just don't interest me. If I sell it, I could buy something a bit more to my liking. Like a... MR2 or something.

:p

Of course, the guy was involved in a bit of an accident since then. He's okay, but in a cast. Maybe that offer would be off the table anyway. I don't know.

So I saw an Audi A5 Sportback today. Or maybe it was an A7. I really don't know the difference (they both seem like pointless sedan type things that slot in between the A6 and the A8). Which ever one it was, HOLY HELL WAS IT FUGLY.

So I saw an Audi A5 Sportback today. Or maybe it was an A7. I really don't know the difference (they both seem like pointless sedan type things that slot in between the A6 and the A8). Which ever one it was, HOLY HELL WAS IT FUGLY.

Probably the A7. The A5 Sportback isn't actually that bad if you ask me (Visually at least, it is still rather pointless), just an A5 with a slightly larger rear end.

If I sell it, I could buy something a bit more to my liking. Like a... MR2 or something.

:p

Of course, the guy was involved in a bit of an accident since then. He's okay, but in a cast. Maybe that offer would be off the table anyway. I don't know.

:thumbsup: I like your way of thinking :p. Hope the guy gets well soon.

I've seen A7s in the US and some A5 Sportbacks in Israel and I think both are pretty nice. I like the fastback shape.

Last edited:
First of all. Glad to hear your ok. :)

As for your question, the whole tread separation thing really got into the public eye here in the states (and other countries who sold it) with the massive Ford Explorer/Firestone Tire recall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Explorer#Rollover_and_Firestone_Tire_controversy

As you'll read it was a mix of driver error, questionable design decisions, and more.

I have had the tire checked by a technician from Continental (and by the specialized mechanic I usually go to). According to the technician, the tire got pierced by something that then didn't stick in the hole (he also showed us where - a tiny hole on the tread), allowing air to get out. At motorway speed, the decreasing pressure and increasing temperature and loads caused a full collapse of the tire wall and the tire split in three parts (the outer wall, the inner wall and the big round rubber band with the tread). The tire was young, the tread was almost new, the pressure was ok in the morning and I had just had it checked that same morning by the same mechanic. According to him, all this mess might have taken less than 20-30 kms to fully develop in a critical failure, which scares me a bit, if I'm honest. Now I'm trying to find information on how to install tire pressure sensors on my car. However, I'm quite glad I sold my old car without ESP for this one.

EDIT: last night i had a dream that for some reason i was driving through a pitch black tunnel, my lights wouldn't turn on and i had a severe accident, totaling the car.

Here we say that if you see someone die in a dream (your car in this case), you're actually making his life longer. But check your light, maybe it's your brain telling you you should have checked some problem and you still haven't. :-D

Last edited:
I have had the tire checked by a technician from Continental (and by the specialized mechanic I usually go to). According to the technician, the tire got pierced by something that then didn't stick in the hole (he also showed us where - a tiny hole on the tread), allowing air to get out. At motorway speed, the decreasing pressure and increasing temperature and loads caused a full collapse of the tire wall and the tire split in three parts (the outer wall, the inner wall and the big round rubber band with the tread). The tire was young, the tread was almost new, the pressure was ok in the morning and I had just had it checked that same morning by the same mechanic. According to him, all this mess might have taken less than 20-30 kms to fully develop in a critical failure, which scares me a bit, if I'm honest. Now I'm trying to find information on how to install tire pressure sensors on my car. However, I'm quite glad I sold my old car without ESP for this one.

Here we say that if you see someone die in a dream (your car in this case), you're actually making his life longer. But check your light, maybe it's your brain telling you you should have checked some problem and you still haven't. :-D

TPMS was standard on the MkV here in the states. Dunno if that will help at all but who knows.

Hah I actually drove in the evening yesterday and the lights do indeed function.

I have had something very similar happening, rear tyre compleetly disintigrating in 3 parts at 120 kph in exactly the same fashion, hell it only had a few 1000km's on it aswell, I was given the same possible explenation......not an experience I want to repeat.

The Mitsu's front left leaks like a mofo, I will have to have it checked/replaced. Shame, the tires still have enough tread left to be legal, and I wouldn't want to get completely new summer tires for the car, as I already bought new winter tires for it earlier. The cockwheels-to-turbines swap cost me 30 euro, and the rubber on these is better than on the cocks.

I have had something very similar happening, rear tyre compleetly disintigrating in 3 parts at 120 kph in exactly the same fashion, hell it only had a few 1000km's on it aswell, I was given the same possible explenation......not an experience I want to repeat.

I agree completely.

What a bunch of assholes. Numberplates are from Istanbul.

Last edited by a moderator:

What a bunch of assholes. Numberplates are from Istanbul.

Why does the guy in the white car have a Japanese learner's sticker hanging from his mirror?

I would avoid TPMS- the added expense, well, adds up at every tire change. They're not always accurate or functional either.

I'm 90% sure my mechanic doesn't charge any extra if you have TPMS, will have to double-check. But it's not a big difference if he does. The system has saved my tires a few times already, they're so rock-hard otherwise that it would be too late before you notice a visual sag, and I'm terrible at checking regularly myself.

In our 1 Series, the TPMS is on the rim itself and needs to be re-calibrated after each tire change, so basically you just say it "now is good, if it gets lower than this plz beep". Done via cars dashboard, two clicks in menu. The tire guy has nothing to do with it (well maybe except please not ruining the sensors)