Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Well, a Civic is a midsize sedan if you live in Brazil. :p

Or Honduras :p

The city takes the place of compact and the Accord is "ungodly large"

The big question is the car repair, which would have probably happened anyway regardless of the trip. Since this shop is one of the few in town, the diagnostic fee is $105. We still don't know what the estimate will be for the repair or when it will be done. Hopefully we can get out of this for the cost of the repair (which would have happened anyway) plus about $200 for the hotel and rental.

It depends if they need to take the tranny out and what is leaking. Hopefully it can be fixed in situ.

I just found out that the shop is open over the weekend, so hopefully they can get it done in time.

Yay, AmEx!

Damn, sorry to hear about your car trouble. I'm glad everything worked out so far.

Now I'm starting to reconsider getting a 2008-09 Taurus. I hope this is just a freak occurence, or limited to the AWD models. (Even though I'll be moving to New Hampshire, I think the FWD model would be just fine in the winter.)

This car is an 08 but has about 100K on it already. Any car will have mechanical faults after that kind of use.

Don't forget it needs a BONG noise.

The DGT.

It did this if you drove it too far.

I call shenanigans! No way a 90's Fiat survives 200k Km's :p

facepalm.jpg

I hope that's just a random car you came across and not an actual consideration.

Last edited:
It is the rickhamilton620s of the world that have kept GM in business.

facepalm.jpg

I hope that's just a random car you came across and not an actual consideration.

Random car i came across :p

Well, at least it doesn't have the woodgrain paneling and roof-mounted luggage rack...

Those would definetly be options I got...ok...maybe not the wood paneling

I've placed an Aveo order as we speak....can't wait for it to come! :p

You know, argatoga's statement reminded me of something I thought of a few days ago.

Why would someone want to buy something such as, say, a Dodge Caliber? There are much better looking, more sophisticated and better built cars on the market for the same amount of money or even less. The PT Cruiser may be crap, but it at least looks good; the Caliber doesn't even have that going for it.

And if you don't care about cars and just want something that gets you from point A-to-B, then why not get a Corolla or a Civic (Or a Fit or Mazda3 if you need a hatchback.)?

Apart from pickup trucks, brand loyalty here in the States has pretty much died out, so I doubt there are that many diehard Dodge fans out there.

You know, argatoga's statement reminded me of something I thought of a few days ago.

Why would someone want to buy something such as, say, a Dodge Caliber? There are much better looking, more sophisticated and better built cars on the market for the same amount of money or even less. The PT Cruiser may be crap, but it at least looks good; the Caliber doesn't even have that going for it.

And if you don't care about cars and just want something that gets you from point A-to-B, then why not get a Corolla or a Civic (Or a Fit or Mazda3 if you need a hatchback.)?

Apart from pickup trucks, brand loyalty here in the States has pretty much died out, so I doubt there are that many diehard Dodge fans out there.

The caliber's biggest problem was the interior and powertrain.

While they rectified the former (it's actually quite nice looking...) the powertrain still sucks ass. Why is it so inefficient? The fuel economy ratings are shocking, especially for a CVT car. CVTs did amazing things for fuel economy in Nissan's and Ford's Five Hundred/Freestyle....why not in a small hatch with a comparatively tiny engine?

To be fair, they've upped the level of feature content so its a very "high value" car when compared to the competition. I guess they hope people will be swayed by the added features to not bother driving anything else...

The idea of a compact hatch is genius, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it. Mazda, Subaru and Ford got it right....Dodge on the other hand...

The only reasons you'd want one these days is because there's either lots of cash on the hood (likely), you haven't driven the competition, or you really like the exterior/interior.

A pleasant car...just not as well rounded as one needs to be in this segment.

I'm sure there's no need for rickhamilton to take a proof pic when it's about an Aveo.

The Honda Civic is just as loud and uninsulated as I remember.

We?d like to inform you that Garmin today signed an agreement to acquire Navigon. We will be sharing expertise, technologies, and relationships between Garmin and Navigon in order to serve you with even better products. Our companies each bring complementary strengths to the table, but what we share is a passion for customer satisfaction through innovation. We look forward to continue providing innovative products!

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no! Here goes quality and free updates for Navigon. WHY?? WHYYYYYY?