Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I will be a ardent defender of beige! :p Feeling like I'm in a coal bin (black interior) or in a doctors office (gray interior) just isn't my thing :p

Have you bought a new car yet?

I will be a ardent defender of beige! :p Feeling like I'm in a coal bin (black interior) or in a doctors office (gray interior) just isn't my thing :p

That still isn't a proper beige interior. These are.

86jagx6newarrivalint.jpg

1987_Jaguar_XJ6_026-4e23ef212bd7c.JPG

Jaguar_XJS_Convertible_(1994)_interior.jpg

16.jpg

Gotten rid of your heap yet? You claimed you were going to, but I bet you're stalling on the new car purchase even though they were giving you the money last week. Remember, your car is a HUGE safety hazard waiting to kill you now.

The Mazda is in the shop getting the dents out. My insurance provides me with a per diem for a rental. This is what I'm driving for the next week:

BrownCube.jpg

This, apparently, is an "upgrade". From what, I shudder to think. And yes, it's as bad as it looks.

Ah, you got one of those melty-car things. I still don't believe that people would actually buy those things.

Is that a Nissan Cube? They sell those, like, for realsies over there?

I've only ever seen 1 around and I think it was at a Nissan dealer when some sales guy ticked the wrong box on an order somewhere...

The Mazda is in the shop getting the dents out. My insurance provides me with a per diem for a rental. This is what I'm driving for the next week:

View attachment 4967

Why does Nissan put the most disgusting colors on the Cube? I've seen a grayish-blue that looks like a laxative, and now that brown that looks like something you'd find in a diaper.

Ah, but you could have a RED INTERIOR! Or BLUE! Late 80's/Early 90's Chrysler is full of excellent choices like that.

Why does Nissan put the most disgusting colors on the Cube? I've seen a grayish-blue that looks like a laxative, and now that brown that looks like something you'd find in a diaper.

That's what the focus groups and customers wanted. That thing is selling like mad here. It's another sales smash for Nissan's Department of Alien Styling.

Number 1 demographic for it is women, unsurprisingly.

In other news, I just found an old single track wood bridge still in service in the city of Dallas. It's next to an uncontrolled rail crossing, too.

Last edited:
I truly don't understand why anyone buys a Cube. I can't imagine the thought process that leads to that purchasing decision. Nothing about it is good. It feels something like driving a bus. The only thing I'd count as a "pro" is the fact that the shifter is so low in the floor I always miss it when I accidentally try to change gears. But that's not really a good thing....

And yes, the color is just awful. They call it gold, but it's clearly brown. I find myself wanting to apologize and explain when I get out of it: "Sorry, this isn't mine, it's a rental; it will be gone soon, I promise."

Apparently, women in their 40s go bonkers for the thing. The secondary demographic is women in their 20s.

Have you bought a new car yet?

That still isn't a proper beige interior. These are.
Gotten rid of your heap yet? You claimed you were going to, but I bet you're stalling on the new car purchase even though they were giving you the money last week. Remember, your car is a HUGE safety hazard waiting to kill you now.

Nada. Haven't gotten the money yet...it could be as long as September 31st sadly. Annoying. Believe me, when I get the text with the money, you all will be the first to know.

I like poo brown cars

Ah, but you could have a RED INTERIOR! Or BLUE! Late 80's/Early 90's Chrysler is full of excellent choices like that.

Oh god those are even worse. I was stunned to find that Chrysler couldn't kick the red and blue habit when I opened up a 2002 Grand Caravan ES to find a horrible blue leather interior. I later found another with a red leather one. WHY? /slits wrists

I like poo brown cars

See prior commentary from myself and others on what's good and what's not and how that compares with your opinion. :p

Oh god those are even worse. I was stunned to find that Chrysler couldn't kick the red and blue habit when I opened up a 2002 Grand Caravan ES to find a horrible blue leather interior. I later found another with a red leather one. WHY? /slits wrists

The why is because people are still buying those interior colors in significant numbers. The interior of most CVPIs is blue or gray, for example.

I enjoy the existence of cubes because they are hilarious looking. I would not buy one though.

I enjoy the existence of cubes because they are hilarious looking. I would not buy one though.

The Cube seems to be all practicalness...no style. I do wish the current Cube looked more like the previous gen one though. That was clean looking...this is not.

The Cube seems to be all practicalness...no style. I do wish the current Cube looked more like the previous gen one though. That was clean looking...this is not.

In what way is it practical? It's an awful, awful thing to drive, it doesn't have much interior room, it doesn't get good gas mileage, and it makes you look stupid for falling for the "oooooooooo look, an asymmetrical car" trick.

That said, those placenta-red velour interiors are pretty damn comfy. I once rode in the back seat of a Dodge Dynasty, and that thing is crazy roomy and comfortable. More 80s than brick cell phones, and they date just as well, but it definitely had that one advantage.

I hired a diesel Hyundai iLoad when I moved about a month ago. The roads were wet. Diesel vans are bloody good fun. Never driven any sort of Hyundai before but it rode better than a HiAce, was more comfortable than a HiAce, better stereo than a HiAce, felt punchier than a HiAce.

I was mighty impressed. :thumbsup:

I....erm...like the Nissan Cube. :ph34r:

That said, those placenta-red velour interiors are pretty damn comfy. I once rode in the back seat of a Dodge Dynasty, and that thing is crazy roomy and comfortable. More 80s than brick cell phones, and they date just as well, but it definitely had that one advantage.

I miss my grandma's 92 Dynasty LE. 3.3 V6 with the UltraDrive, Maroon exterior and interior (with plood trim!) with nice alloy wheels, these to be exact:

dodge_dynasty_blue_1991.jpg

Twas a sharp car back in the day. Plus she didn't get a fucking padded landau top so it aged pretty well. Kinda wish I got that as a hand me down, it rode great. I remember the unique door handle location, as well as where the front cupholders were located: inside the split front armrests. :)

818124_Dodge_Dynasty_1993_Free_Car_Classifieds_BuyCarandSellCar_com_gatp3372GA.jpg

This 93 has the cupholders in that mini console where the CD's are in the photo..that wasn't in 92 models.

God I miss that car...

In what way is it practical? It's an awful, awful thing to drive, it doesn't have much interior room, it doesn't get good gas mileage, and it makes you look stupid for falling for the "oooooooooo look, an asymmetrical car" trick.

Flip the rear seats down and there's probably decent cargo space. I also like the interior, especially the dash.

Last edited: