Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Is it just me or does that van look like a 1959 Morris Commercial J2 van on a Land Rover chassis?

That one is actually a pretty serious offroader, they used them to pull Hummers out of ditches in some rally in Russia a few years ago (anecdotal don't have any pics or anything) :D It would probably be outmatched by some of the newer offerings simply of all the new TC systems and adaptive ride height and crap like that. It's basically a Russian version of the Willis but "refined" on Russian "roads" :)

Last edited:
No C-class perforations today, sadly. Went out to shoot it and despite the recent rain in the area, the surrounding vegetation in the prospective target area was just too dead and dry to be generating sparks. Cancelled due to risk of starting a fire; we'll try again later.

Edit: I don't think we can call these 'mini' any more.

IMG_1123.JPG

Last edited:
Edit: I don't think we can call these 'mini' any more.
I saw one of these parallel parked between a 97 Accord and a b6 Audi A4 and it was about the same size as the Audi and a bit larger then the Accord. I am sure some German will pull the lengths out of some website and prove me wrong, but it certainly looked like it. Taller too.

The Crossman is just epic fail. Might sell well, might even be okay car, but why they have to release it under the Mini brand?

Even worse, why they had to choose that model for rallying instead of regular Mini? Yeah I know: marketing. And engineering > marketing :p

Or even a real car? 10k? buys you a helluva lot nicer things than either of those...

Yes but can those 'nicer things' survive Siberia? Didn't think so! This is important!*

*If you live in Siberia.

Reactions: AiR
I believe only the RWD/4WD Ladas really survive Siberia. Samaras and whatever came after it are just useless appliances that are abandoned and picked up like bicycles.

I believe only the RWD/4WD Ladas really survive Siberia. Samaras and whatever came after it are just useless appliances that are abandoned and picked up like bicycles.
Yep the Niva is the only one remotely capable and even then barely. That UAZ can handle it like nothing tho.

Those UAZ van's can certainly survive Siberia, If I'm imformed correctly they are the main light hauler/runabouts there.

*edit*
Prizak beat me to it :p

Yeah, but we were talking about the plasticky Priora :) UAZ:s seem at least simple enough from what I've seen.

Those UAZ van's can certainly survive Siberia, If I'm imformed correctly they are the main light hauler/runabouts there.

*edit*
Prizak beat me to it :p
Yep those things are basicaly how you get around Siberia outside of a helicopter (no roads to speak of):)

I saw one of these parallel parked between a 97 Accord and a b6 Audi A4 and it was about the same size as the Audi and a bit larger then the Accord. I am sure some German will pull the lengths out of some website and prove me wrong, but it certainly looked like it. Taller too.

The Cuntryman is made of pure fail.
4097x1789x1561mm? of fail, in fact. Yeah, I did look it up :lol: while I'm at it, here's the B6 A4:
4544x1766x1428mm?, a lot longer, slightly more narrow, and a lot less tall. Additionally, the bonnet will look tiny compared to the bulky front end of the Cuntryman.

Yes but can those 'nicer things' survive Siberia? Didn't think so! This is important!*

*If you live in Siberia.

I'd love to see any "new" Lada cope with Siberia nowadays... they used to have some ruggedness, now they're all just plastic crap like Korean cars

Basically what he said.

On Countrymans/Countrymen, I do believe they are quite good cars to drive, especially if you have a 4WD model, they just have the following flaws

- they look like someone blew up a mini and then let it stay out in the sun for too long and the body melted
- insane pricetag
- are not very "mini"
- still depicted as tiny and cute like a real mini when they're enourmous on the outside
- the interior is still shit

On Countrymans/Countrymen, I do believe they are quite good cars to drive, especially if you have a 4WD model, they just have the following flaws

- insane pricetag

That. A 4WD Cuntryman will quickly go for over 30k?. For that kind of money you could easily get (yeah, you guessed it) a fully kitted Octavia RS DSG.