Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last edited:
It's so bad that Smart USA had to create a instructional video about it:

that video sounds more like an excuse as to why they've bothered with the damn thing rather than an instructional piece. to be brutally honest, everyone who doesn't understand how it's operated or can't figure it out in a minute or two probably shouldn't be driving. what they fail to mention is that the smart will only start the engine with the gearshift in N and a foot on the brake-pedal! if you keep the car in automatic mode, it'll let you drive around just like in any other automatic.

a few months ago i didn't move my car for two or so weeks which resulted in the transmission being stuck in reverse (reverse is the gear you're supposed to park the car in). only jumping about in the car like it was ringmeet (ringmeet bouncy castle, oh yeah! let's not do that again, suspension parts were expensive :|) fixed that -.-

that video sounds more like an excuse as to why they've bothered with the damn thing rather than an instructional piece. to be brutally honest, everyone who doesn't understand how it's operated or can't figure it out in a minute or two probably shouldn't be driving. what they fail to mention is that the smart will only start the engine with the gearshift in N and a foot on the brake-pedal! if you keep the car in automatic mode, it'll let you drive around just like in any other automatic.

a few months ago i didn't move my car for two or so weeks which resulted in the transmission being stuck in reverse (reverse is the gear you're supposed to park the car in). only jumping about in the car like it was ringmeet (ringmeet bouncy castle, oh yeah! let's not do that again, suspension parts were expensive :|) fixed that -.-

Remember that we get a different gear lever here than you do on Smart's. We get a lever with P R N D selections along with a manual mode "gate." This is similar to other vehicles here with conventional automatic boxes, and the car can be started in Park or Neutral. (NHTSA regulations require a Parking gear) Since it "looks" like a regular auto to the uninitiated, they expect it to act like one and be creamy smooth in automatic mode (most people never switch their manumatic slushboxes to "manual" mode here) at all times.

Last edited:
When my mother borrowed my old RX-8 once (automatic), she accidentally put it in manual mode, and according to my siblings, drove around with the engine buzzing at the top of the rev range :?

The weird part? She can drive a stick.

Last edited:
Remember that we get a different gear lever here than you do on Smart's. We get a lever with P R N D selections along with a manual mode "gate." This is similar to other vehicles here with conventional automatic boxes, and the car can be started in Park or Neutral. (NHTSA regulations require a Parking gear) Since it "looks" like a regular auto to the uninitiated, they expect it to act like one and be creamy smooth in automatic mode (most people never switch their manumatic slushboxes to "manual" mode here) at all times.

well, our's isn't much different apart from the missing P-gear really and the reverse gear being in another place so to speak. your layout seems even more intuitive to me. and the whole thing with parking in reverse is just... i dunno, something along the lines of "park in gear or your car will roll away if you forget your handbrake". you CAN park it in neutral as well, doesn't make a difference really.

When my mother borrowed my old RX-8 once (automatic), she accidentally put it in manual mode, and according to my siblings, drove around with the engine buzzing at the top of the rev range :?

well, THAT could happen of course :| the oh so intelligent smartthingy will only prevent you from downshifting, it won't shift up for you in manual mode -.-

Last edited:
Speaking of stolen satnavs... of all the stupid design decisions this has to be the worst one I've seen in a long time:

The new VAG triplets VW Up!, Skoda Citigo and Seat Mii has a dashboard mounted Navigon GPS unit. But that's not all, it has some special software and doubles as the car's trip computer. Fuel consumption and that sort of thing. While looking exactly like a normal GPS. Sitting on top of the dash. In a car made for the city.

I don't mind having to remove after use because I use it maybe once a month, but I'd fucking hate to have to remove and reattach my trip computer several times a day just to avoid having my car broken into.

While I agree that that looks quite stealable, I assume the nav itself is worthless unless plugged into an Up,Citigo or Mii, no? If not, pretty big fail on VWs part.
On the other hand, I have one of those crappy suction cup satnavs in my car for about 7 years and it has not once been removed...nor has anyone else tried to...yet I drive and park everywhere...I thought satnavs were so cheap nowadays (100-150? gets you something decent) thieves didn't bother with them anymore...

well, our's isn't much different apart from the missing P-gear really and the reverse gear being in another place so to speak. your layout seems even more intuitive to me. and the whole thing with parking in reverse is just... i dunno, something along the lines of "park in gear or your car will roll away if you forget your handbrake". you CAN park it in neutral as well, doesn't make a difference really.
Autos here won't let you take the key out if you are not in P, so you cannot physically leave the car in gear unless it's a manual.

- - - Updated - - -

While I agree that that looks quite stealable, I assume the nav itself is worthless unless plugged into an Up,Citigo or Mii, no? If not, pretty big fail on VWs part.
On the other hand, I have one of those crappy suction cup satnavs in my car for about 7 years and it has not once been removed...nor has anyone else tried to...yet I drive and park everywhere...I thought satnavs were so cheap nowadays (100-150? gets you something decent) thieves didn't bother with them anymore...
Satnavs are in every smart (and not so smart phone) these days so it really doesn't make much sense

Autos here won't let you take the key out if you are not in P, so you cannot physically leave the car in gear unless it's a manual.

ah, i see. i forgot to mention: my smart will only let you leave with your key when in N or R. oh well, who cares about any of that? doesn't really have anything to do with the capabilities of the damn shitty box.

Remember, we're talking about lowlife scumbags that break into cars here. Do you really expect a person like that to realize that this isn't your average satnav?

And on the topic of Smarts, I drove an older generation one a while ago. The gearbox was hilarious and horrible at the same time. It wasn't so bad once you got it moving, but getting off the line was a slow and tedious task. It wasn't complicated, all you needed to do was bury the pedal in the carpet and wait. :lol: What happened then was that the revs built up slowly while it met with the clutch. Then a second of clutch slip and you're off. And since it didn't have hill hold and didn't creep forwards until you gave it a bit of throttle, hill starts were pretty tricky. A normal manual can be held stationary with the clutch while you move your right foot from brake to gas.

They should've put a computer controlled CVT into the Smart instead.

Last edited:
only jumping about in the car like it was ringmeet (ringmeet bouncy castle, oh yeah! let's not do that again, suspension parts were expensive :|) fixed that -.-

Time for an Suspension Upgrade then :p

:comfort: Fuck people man. Especially those that mess with a person's car. :( Some asswipe ripped off a bunch of car mirrors with a baseball bat and my failturn didn't miss their wrath. OF course it was dark and they weren't on camera :(

Wow. Not cool, dude. I hope the police are able to catch the guy. And that your insurance will pick up the tab for all the damages. I can't stand it when someone messes with another person's personal property.

I'm sorry to hear about your break-in, Leadfoot. That happened to my VW Fox many years ago (ripped the stereo right out and then left it on a lawn to be ruined by a rainstorm :mad:) and to my car about 6 years ago (stole the whole damned car!).

I hope it's restored to it's former self the first time. Every time I've taken something to a bodyshop they've forgotten a trim bit, or didn't sweat the alignment enough, etc. Good Luck.

there's some problems with breaks ins locally here too...

My dad's car is in the shop getting a new ignition switch... again, it's the second time in about a month or so, because someone broke in and tried stealing the car, and ruining the ignition.

Sorry to hear about your break in Leadfoot, hopefully 5-0 can catch the guy and he gets analy violated in holding.

I agree! I hate it when my car gets messed with....

Thanks guys. :(

Well, I called my insurance and they said they will cover for the repairs. They gave me the name and address of a local shop they do business with. From what I've heard, this shop does fantastic work on vehicle repairs. Will need to call them in the morning to make arrangements to drop off the car and pick up the rental (yes, I still have the Cavalier, but my mom needs it, especially on Thursdays and Fridays and the rental is covered by my policy).

...still sucks! Car will be out commision for a while. "Murderous rage" doesn't adequately describe the emotion I'm feeling right now (really am hoping the police catch up to the useless imbecile who did this).

May the herpes blisters of a thousand prostitutes infest the rectum of the jackass who broke into your car.

"May the fleas of a thousand camels fester in your armpits." ( A curse a former workbuddy taught me, i have forgotten how to say it in arabic though )

Thanks guys. :(

Well, I called my insurance and they said they will cover for the repairs. They gave me the name and address of a local shop they do business with. From what I've heard, this shop does fantastic work on vehicle repairs. Will need to call them in the morning to make arrangements to drop off the car and pick up the rental (yes, I still have the Cavalier, but my mom needs it, especially on Thursdays and Fridays and the rental is covered by my policy).

...still sucks! Car will be out commision for a while. "Murderous rage" doesn't adequately describe the emotion I'm feeling right now (really am hoping the police catch up to the useless imbecile who did this).
:( at least you getting it repaired for free and at a good place.

It's snowing and because of stupid fuel shortages I can't go drifting :(

Last edited:
I just found out something interesting from my brother about my car's break-in last night.

My brother used to work with the owner of the other car and therefore keeps in touch with her. I guess today she discovered the knife she kept in her car was missing and thinks it might have been the one we found laying in my car (the one the officer took).

Originally I thought that my car was the initial target and the thief broke into hers afterwards. Now it looks like it might be the other way around; her car was the original target.

This is unlikely, but I'm wondering if they left the knife on the seat on purpose to try to frame her? Probably not, they probably just dropped it in a panic...

I gave her (via my brother) the contact information for the officer who responded to the call to see if she can confirm if it was her knife or not.