Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There are still a few around. But not too many, with Subaru and Audi having the strongest showing.

Very few, Subaru dropped manual in their Legacy range starting with the 2015 model, I'm not a fan of SUV/Crossover stuff so that rules it right out. Out of the sedans/wagons basically Audi and Subaru are the only ones still having any on offer and I had an Audi before, hell no! Though I am not likely to buy new so most like would look for a more recent Legacy or lease an Audi (since leased car means warranty for as long as I will have it).

Very few, Subaru dropped manual in their Legacy range starting with the 2015 model, I'm not a fan of SUV/Crossover stuff so that rules it right out. Out of the sedans/wagons basically Audi and Subaru are the only ones still having any on offer and I had an Audi before, hell no! Though I am not likely to buy new so most like would look for a more recent Legacy or lease an Audi (since leased car means warranty for as long as I will have it).

Technically...you could buy a Canadian spec 2015 Legacy/Outback as the base and touring model does retain a 6-speed manual. Although I'm guessing its a bit more costly as US cars are generally cheaper and Canadian taxes apart from Alberta are on the high side.

Technically...you could buy a Canadian spec 2015 Legacy/Outback as the base and touring model does retain a 6-speed manual. Although I'm guessing its a bit more costly as US cars are generally cheaper and Canadian taxes apart from Alberta are on the high side.

Would be cheaper to do an STi swap ;)

Would be cheaper to do an STi swap ;)
I do find it odd that our tiny market retains this as an option rather than the US...and yet the vehicles we're getting are being made in Indiana. Once the Tribeca goes away, it seems Subaru Canada is the only automaker that can say it still offers manuals for every model.

I do find it odd that our tiny market retains this as an option rather than the US...and yet the vehicles we're getting are being made in Indiana. Once the Tribeca goes away, it seems Subaru Canada is the only automaker that can say it still offers manuals for every model.

Some odd decisions regarding Canada seem to happen every now and then. Like Nissan introducing the Micra. They went to the expense of making it meet CMVSS but didn't bother with the extra 10% to meet FMVSS and make it sellable in a much larger market.

Some odd decisions regarding Canada seem to happen every now and then. Like Nissan introducing the Micra. They went to the expense of making it meet CMVSS but didn't bother with the extra 10% to meet FMVSS and make it sellable in a much larger market.
With the subcompact cars, particularly hatchbacks they seem easier to sell here than the US which is why I'm not as surprised about that, ie. Toyota Matrix, apparently its impossible to sell it in the US whereas here they're relatively common. Usually however when it comes to midsize vehicles and larger, our market rarely commands much of a say when the US doesn't get a certain option we usually lose it. Generally the popular car class here is the compact class hence why the Civic and Elantra are top sellers whereas Camrys and Accords might just make it into the top 10 if there isn't a compact CUV more popular. I can only guess that a lot of Subaru Outback owners here still willingly bought a Outback simply because it was one of the few remaining wagons with a manual option.

Yeah that's very weird, especially since if they do have the transmission for that car already why not offer it as an option, esp since manuals are cheaper and SoA facebook page was full of people bitching about lack of a manual option on the Legacy. (Also lack of the GT variant)

- - - Updated - - -

I can only guess that a lot of Subaru Outback owners here still willingly bought a Outback simply because it was one of the few remaining wagons with a manual option.

That's what I want but they made the Outback a stupid CUV now, I would love a 2015 Legacy Outback or a GT Wagon with a manual.

Does it have to be new or could you go for an '09 Outback?

I'd go for an older model sure, my "dream" is a GT wagon though. This is mostly hypothetical for now at least a year or two before the Outtie needs to be retired (in a rally cross hopefully).

Got a flat (sheared screw head) on the Scoob's driver side rear tire last night. Made worse by the fact that I was trucking around my wife and my parents (visiting from Ottawa) and we were staying in Tofino. No tire shops open until Monday. So, I had to drive to Port Alberni (104 km) on the spare, keeping it under 80 the entire way. Luckily we made it, and the tire shop (Jack's) there just killed it with their blazing service.

BMW xi models. Job done.

But if I don't need AWD, you don't need AWD.

BMW xi models. Job done.

But if I don't need AWD, you don't need AWD.

After owning an Audi I could not talk myself into buying another Euro, I would lease one but their x-drive doesn't come in manual in the US.

You would think but... The biggest problem in NYC is that all the plowing gives you nice snow piles next to the curbs, it is further exacerbated by the people cleaning off the sidewalks and dumping that snow on the road as well.* So for driving no you don't need AWD but if you want to be able to park.... It also make me happier when the wife drives AWD since it's a lot more forgiving than RWD when it comes to recovering from mistakes. FWD is the work of the devil so I absolutely refuse to let her drive it :p

*There are some parts of Manhattan where they actually clean off all of the snow but that's about it.

You still have that in your custody?

Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You still have that in your custody?

Nope, it went back a month or so ago. Thing is, despite being the least powerful variant, it was still the best to drive due to the AWD system. The RWD platform mates despite having more power are actually worse to drive. Which makes sense, current street tire tech is really only good for somewhere around 500hp (+/- 50 or so) per end.

Last edited:
What's the reliability with Dodge Chargers and their AWD systems like?

What's the reliability with Dodge Chargers and their AWD systems like?

Almost nobody bought the first one (at least not in the US) - not enough for me to hear anything about it, anyway.

That said, we're going to find out soon. They just started offering the cop car version in AWD this year and apparently northern departments are very interested in it. Doubt it will be too long before we find out if it is crap or not - especially since the only engine you can get it with is the 5.7L V8.