Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Extra cost option - do they have a "winterization" package, perhaps?
Wasn't an option, actually.

That's something I'd want on my replacement as well, but I don't think any of the choices, CUV or proper RWD based, offer them. Headlight washers and wipers seem to be the exclusive domain of the Euro marques (when even offered!), and that is something I would definitely argue more cars would benefit from, particularly in the snow belt and mountainous regions.

This is just theoretical (because I am in a conference, just a dull talk ATM, so I can't research), but I wonder if gunk buildup on headlights is a bigger problem now with HID/LED vs halogen lamps... do the newer light arrays generate less heat (and therefore, less likely to melt off deposits) than the older halogens? I never remember this being a problem growing up in eastern Ontario.

but I wonder if gunk buildup on headlights is a bigger problem now with HID/LED vs halogen lamps... do the newer light arrays generate less heat (and therefore, less likely to melt off deposits) than the older halogens? I never remember this being a problem growing up in eastern Ontario.
Yep, that is actually one of the issues.

That's something I'd want on my replacement as well, but I don't think any of the choices, CUV or proper RWD based, offer them. Headlight washers and wipers seem to be the exclusive domain of the Euro marques (when even offered!), and that is something I would definitely argue more cars would benefit from, particularly in the snow belt and mountainous regions.

Amusingly, the push for pedestrian safety has made it more difficult to fit headlight washers to certain vehicle types, when combined with other regulations. For best results, your washer needs to be out in front of your lights a ways, preferably on a sturdy arm that won't get broken off if there's not enough car in front of the light to support the washer on its own. That's not really a thing any more, so makers have moved to the "pop out on demand" type washer... which gets stuck closed very easily.

This is just theoretical (because I am in a conference, just a dull talk ATM, so I can't research), but I wonder if gunk buildup on headlights is a bigger problem now with HID/LED vs halogen lamps... do the newer light arrays generate less heat (and therefore, less likely to melt off deposits) than the older halogens? I never remember this being a problem growing up in eastern Ontario.

This is a problem not just for cars but for street lighting and traffic lights. HIDs and in particular LEDs generate far less heat than halogens or incandescents did, so they have little to no self-clearing ability when presented with ice and snow.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/01/09/led-stoplights-failing-in-winter/

LeVeL and I were talking droptops and realized we didn't know the answer to this question: what was the first ever convertible available with a glass rear window from the factory?

LeVeL and I were talking droptops and realized we didn't know the answer to this question: what was the first ever convertible available with a glass rear window from the factory?

That really depends on how you define a convertible. There were carriages pre-Benz Motorwagen that had folding tops with rear windows and most of those were glass, what with plastic not really that well developed yet and acetate sucking worse than it does now. Here is a pre-motorcar horsedrawn buggy. Note folding roof and glass rear window.

doctorapril.jpg

The Benz Patent Motorwagen was available with a buggy-style folding top and a carriage light.

Carl-Benz-at-the-tiller-of-the-improved-1887-Benz-Patent-Motorwagen-1024x775.jpg

Carl Benz is seen at the tiller of the improved model offered for sale in 1887. The ?production? models could be ordered with a folding top and a carriage light.

I'm reasonably sure that I have seen an original picture of one with the top up, displaying a rear glass window.

Last edited:
Neighbour parked a brand new Skodia Kodiaq next to my car. Works at a VW dealership.

That thing is quite huge. Looks more like Q7 than Q5 lol.

What kind of lights do you have? Over here if you got Xenon lights, headlight washers are mandatory. With halogen they are more a thing in countries where they are mandatory by default, like scandinavian regions n shit, but basically never to be found nor available here. With LED-lights though, many manufacturers found ways to avoid the legal neccessity of having to have headlight washers again, which IIRC was started by Mercedes with the W212 facelift.

What kind of lights do you have? Over here if you got Xenon lights, headlight washers are mandatory. With halogen they are more a thing in countries where they are mandatory by default, like scandinavian regions n shit, but basically never to be found nor available here. With LED-lights though, many manufacturers found ways to avoid the legal neccessity of having to have headlight washers again, which IIRC was started by Mercedes with the W212 facelift.
I wonder if there are any places left on earth where headlight cleaning is mandatory. It certainly isn't here anymore. Unless you have xenons, that is.

Completely by accident I had four cars in a row with actual headlight *wipers* and those actually worked really well. Pressure sprayers are useless in comparison and a huge waste of fluid. The proper rubber blade wipers died around the turn of the century, partly because of beancounters and partly because the plastic headlights that started appearing in the late 90's scratch too easily. So pressure sprayers it is.

I'm not sure about Finland but I do know Sweden required headlight cleaning at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened shortly after Saab made it standard on the 99. This made manufacturers come up with some ingenious solutions, like on Fiats where they glued a small motor to the center of the lens and made the wiper blade spin round and round. Probably did wonders for light output. :lol:

5xMZurW.jpg

Neighbour parked a brand new Skodia Kodiaq next to my car. Works at a VW dealership.

That thing is quite huge. Looks more like Q7 than Q5 lol.

Yes, that's what Skoda does. They take a given platform and enlarge it. It's huge, but it's still a transverse 4-cylinder layout. The Octavia has always been bigger than the equivalent Golf, and both are bigger than the A3.

Xenons don't require washers. The rule is, any light brighter than 2000 lumens is required to have washers and automatic self leveling in EU. Normal traditional xenons are 35 watt, and produce around 3000 lumens, so that's why most xenons have washers and auto leveling. But before LEDs got common, manufacturers introduced new 20 watt xenons which produce just below 2000 lumens, thus xenons without washers and manual leveling are possible.

Some LED cars are over 2000 lumens, some are not. It's really diverse market anyway. Current S-Class Mercedes doesn't have washers, the Nissan GT-R does. It kinda makes the GT-R better long distance cruiser in salty conditions :lol:

GLK250 has bi-xenon headlights. Don't know what to tell you, but the car doesn't even have washers/wipers as an option here.

Xenons don't require washers. The rule is, any light brighter than 2000 lumens is required to have washers and automatic self leveling in EU. Normal traditional xenons are 35 watt, and produce around 3000 lumens, so that's why most xenons have washers and auto leveling. But before LEDs got common, manufacturers introduced new 20 watt xenons which produce just below 2000 lumens, thus xenons without washers and manual leveling are possible.

Some LED cars are over 2000 lumens, some are not. It's really diverse market anyway. Current S-Class Mercedes doesn't have washers, the Nissan GT-R does. It kinda makes the GT-R better long distance cruiser in salty conditions :lol:

I know that it is not bound to the Xenons but the light output. The reason why some LEDs do and some don't have the washers is because of where the light output is measured and how high it is there. Hence the 212 Facelift was able to delete it. The LEDs are just as bright as many others, but not at the point of measure.

Drove from YVR to Whistler yesterday night. Nice drive, but 2 constations :

1- A Dodge Grand-Caravan is not the ideal vehicle for spirited driving.
2- Not the type of drive I like to do when I'm dead tired after a 5h flight.

Probably the first in my life I struggled to maintain the posted speed limit.

Drove from YVR to Whistler yesterday night. Nice drive, but 2 constations :

1- A Dodge Grand-Caravan is not the ideal vehicle for spirited driving.
2- Not the type of drive I like to do when I'm dead tired after a 5h flight.

Probably the first in my life I struggled to maintain the posted speed limit.
You entered JimCorrigan territory and didn't tell me?

I'm in Banff right now and tomorrow I drive back (and go right to the Island), but enjoy Whistler. You should come to Van Island sometime if you ever make a summer trip.

Some sightings from my trip back from Indy today.

This truck :lol:
Vly1pml.jpg

This sidepipe :rofl:
WLItdM2.jpg

Turn off your goddam light bar :mad:
P0HSRkS.jpg

I'm not sure thats a kosher license plate placement :?
QqwqGOW.jpg

You entered JimCorrigan territory and didn't tell me?

I'm in Banff right now and tomorrow I drive back (and go right to the Island), but enjoy Whistler. You should come to Van Island sometime if you ever make a summer trip.

Yeah, sorry. Short family vacation.

After less than 24h, my GF already wanted to move here (and she doesn't even ski). I wouldn't mind either :)

Yeah, sorry. Short family vacation.

After less than 24h, my GF already wanted to move here (and she doesn't even ski). I wouldn't mind either :)
Whatever you do, don't look at Whistler real estate prices. :barf:

There's a dealer that has an orange Sportka, it's way overpriced, but I wonder if the overspray covers the rust. :D