Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Not quite 1948, but still older than the Niva, and from the same country.

1957 Moskvitch 410
GEbw3Mi.png

Qd4Zeka.png

1959 Moskvitch 411
FdxfVUF.png

AeiwjKH.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moskvitch_410

Niva started production in 77 - I know at least one crossover that existed and was sold before then.

The 1948 Willys Jeepster would like a word.

Bah, the Ichthyostega had all terrain 4x4 over 250 million years before Willys. When will car designers make sometime original!

Niva started production in 77 - I know at least one crossover that existed and was sold before then.

The 1948 Willys Jeepster would like a word.
4558.jpg
From what I can find of the construction it was still a body on frame, therefore not a cross over. Also this is a car using a truck/SUV platform as opposed to a cross over being an SUV like thing using a car platform. So it gets a double disqualification.

Ah so either the Studebaker wagonaire or the Peugeot 403?

Citroen 2CV? Unibody, comfortable, but capable of driving through a plowed field.

From what I can find of the construction it was still a body on frame, therefore not a cross over. Also this is a car using a truck/SUV platform as opposed to a cross over being an SUV like thing using a car platform. So it gets a double disqualification.

You are forgetting that at the time the supermajority of cars were also body on frame. The VJ was also built on a bespoke-for-it frame not shared with a truck and intended to underlay sedans, wagons, etc. So, nope, not disqualified.

But if you really want to play that game....
1940 Kubelwagen. Built on a car platform using car running gear.
VW_Kuebelwagen_1.jpg

Either of those have AWD/4WD?

Both. The Patriot has it but had a “4wd” switch to force 50/50 instead of variable power between front and rear. Alltrack does as well. It’s in my mind a VW outback without a CVT and flat engine.

I actually looked at Outbacks and Legacies earlier today - the 3.6L seems decent but it's mated to a stupid CVT :mad:

As far as the Patriot and such go - the only Jeeps to get real 4x4/AWD systems are the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. Everything else gets fake wanna-be systems.

This week has not been kind to the poor Xterra, earlier in the week I noticed a nail in the tire (though it wasn't losing air still had it patched). Then ABS/brake/VDC/Slip lights all turned on, so I took it to the shop my mechanic said that the code was inconclusive (could be the ABS module, could be the actuator) and since the light goes away on every restart wait for it to always be on and then he should have a better idea. But while checking over the car turns out I need tie rods and an axle seal. Today wife person managed to crash the damn thing into the gate coming out of the parking lot, so that's a new bumper cover and some body work on the front fender...

Did you check and clean the wheel speed sensors? That's the usual cause of an ABS/VDC/Antiskid code that's inconclusive and that comes and goes.

Did you check and clean the wheel speed sensors? That's the usual cause of an ABS/VDC/Antiskid code that's inconclusive and that comes and goes.
I personally didn’t not sure if my mechanic did, gonna check it out thanks

This week has not been kind to the poor Xterra, earlier in the week I noticed a nail in the tire (though it wasn't losing air still had it patched). Then ABS/brake/VDC/Slip lights all turned on, so I took it to the shop my mechanic said that the code was inconclusive (could be the ABS module, could be the actuator) and since the light goes away on every restart wait for it to always be on and then he should have a better idea. But while checking over the car turns out I need tie rods and an axle seal. Today wife person managed to crash the damn thing into the gate coming out of the parking lot, so that's a new bumper cover and some body work on the front fender...

Could be a steering position sensor. There's a reset procedure on thenewx.org.

As for the bumper cover: time to buy an off road bumper!