Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Now, if it's a shit car on the other hand, that would be a problem. And given it's a modern Nissan, I expect it's dismal rental trash and will get stricken from the list.
Yep it’s shit in every possible way, I didn’t phrase it right it’s not that it going to unibody was a problem is that ever since it did it’s been a piece of utter garbage

Nissan is one odd company sometimes.
Examples:
  • Holding down the open button on the key fob of the Z would lower both windows, but holding the lock button would not close them back. This behavior is not on the Xterra, it doesn't react to the buttons being held at all.
  • Locking the windows in the Z would allow driver to operate both windows. Xterra allows driver to operate their window but not the passenger windows.
  • Bluetooth for calls only, not for music, this is true of both my 2011 and current 370z

• Holding down the open button on the key fob of the Z would lower both windows, but holding the lock button would not close them back. This behavior is not on the Xterra, it doesn't react to the buttons being held at all.

Has to do with what kind of window regulators are on the car. Aka if they're safety sensing or not. Some Fords won't do anything on keyfob hold, some will open the windows, some will open and close the windows. All hardware dependent.

Also
https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/r...thumb/67-9028c45b-0965-49b6-bd27-d4a71ff55a7c

God save me for even asking, but any of you ever come across a Chevy Traverse?

She who must be obeyed has decreed that it shall be considered because she knows a few people who have them and they are, and I quote, "nice".

The Dodge Journey has also been commanded into the list of consideration, and I have duly considered it. Just long enough to look at prices on Carvana and run away screaming at the mere idea of a 2 year old 7 seater with 15k miles in apparently immaculate condition that somehow only commands a $20k pricetag.

Edit: Wait. I'm not even seeing the low trim ones because I had the satnav filter on. ONE YEAR OLD AND FOUR THOUSAND MILES FOR HOW MUCH? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA.

Oh god I just looked at how much they don't cost new. What the fuck is this shit.

Last edited:
Never driven a traverse, equinox, yes. Didn’t the traverse have that awesome maze of timing chains that prematurely failed? There’s been a few posted to r/cars on reddit.

Journey can take 3 recaro seats in the back when the seats down still in their boxes. It also does sweet burnouts. It suffers from the Chrysler electronic throttle problem. Always a slight delay in acceleration and won’t see input until .25 second after you hit the pedal. It also learns your habits and adjusts accordingly. If your floor it a bunch of times, the next time you softly hit the pedal, the tires chirp. It’ll relearn again but my last experience with one (2015) was that scenario. I’d avoid a cheaply one because the low spec radio has a display with low resolution and you can see the pixelation. Much like the challenger of the same era.

1. Buy El Camino
  2. Put dogs in bed of El Camino
  3. ????
  4. Profit
That'd be MY solution. But they are our children and are to be protected as such.

Seriously. One of the crate companies actually produces an equally certified pair of barriers that mount at the front and rear that:

1. Allow the dogs more room because it opens up the unused height and width
  2. Opens up vehicle selection tremendously because there isn't a big unitary box that has to fit through everybody's undersized hatch opening

But it's out because in a crash where the side windows break, the dogs would be free to run out into traffic.

That'd be MY solution. But they are our children and are to be protected as such.

Seriously. One of the crate companies actually produces an equally certified pair of barriers that mount at the front and rear that:

1. Allow the dogs more room because it opens up the unused height and width
  2. Opens up vehicle selection tremendously because there isn't a big unitary box that has to fit through everybody's undersized hatch opening
But it's out because in a crash where the side windows break, the dogs would be free to run out into traffic.

F142557739.jpg

Has to do with what kind of window regulators are on the car. Aka if they're safety sensing or not. Some Fords won't do anything on keyfob hold, some will open the windows, some will open and close the windows. All hardware dependent.

My bug will put the windows down if you hold it on unlock. Weirdly though the fiat instead does the roof.

... which will be really annoying when the roof inevitably breaks.

My bug will put the windows down if you hold it on unlock. Weirdly though the fiat instead does the roof.

... which will be really annoying when the roof inevitably breaks.
Audi had an option that would open all windows by holding unlock and close everythign including sunroof when holding "lock" but it had to be turned on via VAG-COM on US spec ones

Audi had an option that would open all windows by holding unlock and close everythign including sunroof when holding "lock" but it had to be turned on via VAG-COM on US spec ones
My C4 A6 could open all the windows with the keyfob button, but to close all the windows, you had to physically put the key in the door lock cylinder and hold it in the lock rotation. Presumably the logic there was that if you're literally standing at the driver's door, you could see any obstructions and stop closing the windows.

Naturally you could also open the windows with the key in the lock cylinder held in the unlock rotation.

Oh yeah I forgot about that, yeah you could close/open with the key from factory, it's using the fob that required vag-com

God save me for even asking, but any of you ever come across a Chevy Traverse?

She who must be obeyed has decreed that it shall be considered because she knows a few people who have them and they are, and I quote, "nice".

The Dodge Journey has also been commanded into the list of consideration, and I have duly considered it.

Now descending into the "Oh god WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" level of terrible SUVs/crossovers, I see. For their age, there are a shocking number of Traverses and Journeys in my local junkyards that show no signs whatsoever of having been flooded or in a collision.

Nissan is one odd company sometimes.
Examples:
  • Locking the windows in the Z would allow driver to operate both windows. Xterra allows driver to operate their window but not the passenger windows.

The latter behavior I've seen on a number of vehicles that were likely to be used as kid taxis, so I'm not sure that's a Nissan specific thing. A lot of four door vehicles will just lock all windows, all control positions if the lock is on so you can't operate any window from any seat and that doesn't seem to be a brand specific thing either.

• Bluetooth for calls only, not for music, this is true of both my 2011 and current 370z

IIRC, none of the D40-based trucks short of the Pathfinder got major stereo upgrades in the last decade or so, so they all have older stereos without A2DP. I suspect that the reason they didn't upgrade was because of the on-again-off-again plan to bring the D23 to the US, which was supposed to happen back in 2014 but keeps getting postponed for no reason I'm aware of. Makes sense to maybe not upgrade something that's about to be replaced, but it's been a while now...

IIRC, the 2011 Z actually had A2DP but it had to be switched on manually, whereas the 2012+ had it on by default, but I'm not terribly sure about that as it's been a while since I was looking at those. Also, when did you get another 370Z?

Last edited:

Or ODBeleven which why I bought that dongle. Why put the feature in the menu structure if I can't use it? So I enabled that and some other little things in my GTI and alltrack.

My cheap FIAT does that. Come on, Audi USA.

My C4 A6 could open all the windows with the keyfob button, but to close all the windows, you had to physically put the key in the door lock cylinder and hold it in the lock rotation. Presumably the logic there was that if you're literally standing at the driver's door, you could see any obstructions and stop closing the windows.

Naturally you could also open the windows with the key in the lock cylinder held in the unlock rotation.
Yeah the bug DOES require it to physically be in the door, but honestly I kind of prefer it that way. Half the time it takes multiple tries to get the fiat's fob one to work for what I suspect is "you didn't perfectly hit the button" reasons, similar to when you try to take a phone screenshot and it turns the screen off because your timing was off trying to hold the button down.