Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

st was Midtown Madness 2. And what car did I drive most in that game? A first gen Audi TT.
I played the first one and had a Panoz Roadster in it, as you can imagine never did buy one...

Earliest racing games I played were Lotus, Crazy Cars 3 (aka Lamborghini the american challenge), Death Track and some F1 game. Don’t think any of these had much effect on me, I did like Lambos but then what kid didn’t?

Earliest racing game I played any significant amount was Gran Turismo 2, so that car for me is an R34 Skyline GT-R. Or maybe even the 25GT Turbo as I distinctly remember grinding the early game races until I could afford one race-modified.

Gran Turismo 1.

MA70 Supra Turbo (7M-GTE no shiiiiit).
This is still the definitive Supra in my mind. Y'all can take your stupid 2JZ and shove it.
split with a Viper GTS-R. Which, meh.

I'm dating myself here: Cruisin' USA. There were several levels where driving the Jeep YJ was the best option because it didn't slow down if you were off the track. You could just drive in a straight line and shorten the course.

Don't judge me, that game was $1.50 per play in quarters and I got a free race for finishing first.

Last edited:
Should we start a thread? I hear the going rate is low in June.

Need for Speed Underground for me (I'm a part of the F&F generation), and... Well, Hyundai Tiburon. That's the earliest car game I can remember playing for more than just a few times, and for some reason, I liked the Tiburon.

But later I discovered other NFS titles, and my tastes changed, so a runner-up would be NFS: High Stakes and RUF CTR2. It was available as an upgrade to a standard Porsche 993 Turbo.

And even later than that I finally managed to... uhm, "borrow" my friend's Gran Turismo 2, set up the PSX emulator and start playing that. My favourite car there? The Lotus Europa. But I wasn't exactly a kid back then.

Mine was Test Drive 1 when I was about 3 or 4. It was on an old (it was a 286 when pretty much everything new had a 486 or a Pentium 1) computer that my dad bought from the company he worked for.

Ooohhh. Good one! I remember spending a long time with TD2 on my grandpa's computer.

.... That reminds me. Do the A70 Supras suffer from drift kid pricing? If not... Kind of want...........

.... That reminds me. Do the A70 Supras suffer from drift kid pricing? If not... Kind of want...........
A70s are clearly the superior choice.

Red.
Velour. (ish)
Interior.

3rd_interior-569065f88dbe7.jpg

I agree, I see them all over the place. Hell, there's one in my neighborhood that is in rough condition, but straight. It would be an easy project if someone wanted to ruin it with a body kit and cheap paint, but it's been sitting there with the tires going flat for a year.

There is one like a block away from me that guy hasn't bothered to move in years, flat tires, pealing clear coat but I suspect good mechanically

Except for the rotting vacuum lines...

A70s are clearly the superior choice.

Red.
Velour. (ish)
Interior.

3rd_interior-569065f88dbe7.jpg
Interior by Chrysler, apparently.

I've literally never seen one in person.
This clearly means I should queue one up after the Legacy in the project queue.

So they're worth Camry money minty fresh.
That must mean a ragged example is around $2k.

The earliest car game I can remember playing the most was Midtown Madness 2.
I played the shit out of Midtown Madness 2, it was also the first game I modded and was the basis for the first forum I joined. The earliest driving game I remember playing was one of the Lotus Challenge games on DOS.

I don't think either really influenced my car taste...

They had a spike in value about 7-10 years ago but prices calmed back down fairly quickly. What's going on now is the (relatively) slow escalation in price as they along with most of the other 80s and 90s sporty imports replace the 60s and 70s muscle cars as the hot properties on the collector car circuit.

So they're worth Camry money minty fresh.
That must mean a ragged example is around $2k.

There's still the "daily driver dichotomy" in prices for the things. You can get ragged examples for under $1K in my market...

https://houston.craigslist.org/pts/d/houston-mk3-toyota-supra/6908671060.html

...but not all the pristine examples are going for $27K either:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/d/austin-1991-toyota-supra-turbo-one/6915453877.html