Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I have seen very random cars around here with emergency lights, we talking paint peeling minivans and shit. Did some digging and it turns out that US Marshals tend to use the most random vehicles.

I've also lately seen a FANTASTICALLY large number of cars with illegal red/blue flashers using them to clear holes in traffic.

At least one a week. It seems to be A Thing™ in Pennsyltucky now.

Oh my God this dealership.

They sent me a contact with fixed financials.

The VIN also changed.

So all the other forms are now wrong.

Edit: Okay. Sorted out a solution. Instead of dumping yet more time into this, expiring the June lease deals and having to start over with July's rates, I got a power of attorney notarized and FedExed for the fiancee to just sign everything for me. The financial contract is right and has my real signature, so that doesn't look fraudy. Everything else is their own internal paperwork or DMV paperwork, and PoA for DMV shit is absolutely routine.

They actually had to clear this with their own legal department.

In other news, the title to the Honda is missing, so that's not getting sold to Carmax by their deadline, either.

This epic probably should have had it's own thread, but it wasn't supposed to be this damned complicated.

Last edited:
Undercover cars I've seen:
  • Ford F-150
  • Ford F-250 SuperDuty
  • Dodge Ram 1500
  • Toyota Sienna (imagine the poor guy getting that ride from the motor pool)
  • Dodge Challenger
  • Dodge Charger
  • Ford Mustang (I-15 near Beaver Utah - haven't seen it for years, probably because some cop wadded it)
  • Ford Taurus
  • Ford Fusion
  • Ford Escape
  • Ford Explorer
  • Toyota Camry
  • Toyota Tacoma
  • Toyota Tundra
  • Chevrolet Impala
  • Chevrolet Silverado
  • Chevrolet Tahoe/Suburban
  • Chevrolet Express
Yeah the american ones I think were all already flagged mentally as being possible cops in my head but I thought foreign cars were safe ?

It was annoying enough to have to account for how popular those were.

To the above list, I would add Volvo XC90, XC60, and S90. I have also seen a Subaru WRX baiting would be street racers.

...volvos. Well I guess at least those are uncommon enough it's not another like 10% of all cars to be paranoid of.

I am glad that cops around here seem to not care about speeding much, god I miss when every cop car was a crown vic.

The VIN also changed.

Edit: Okay. Sorted out a solution. Instead of dumping yet more time into this, expiring the June lease deals and having to start over with July's rates, I got a power of attorney notarized and FedExed for the fiancee to just sign everything for me. The financial contract is right and has my real signature, so that doesn't look fraudy. Everything else is their own internal paperwork or DMV paperwork, and PoA for DMV shit is absolutely routine.

In other news, the title to the Honda is missing, so that's not getting sold to Carmax by their deadline, either.

This epic probably should have had it's own thread, but it wasn't supposed to be this damned complicated.
Jesus fucking christ dude

Yeah the american ones I think were all already flagged mentally as being possible cops in my head but I thought foreign cars were safe

It was annoying enough to have to account for how popular those were.

...volvos. Well I guess at least those are uncommon enough it's not another like 10% of all cars to be paranoid of.

I am glad that cops around here seem to not care about speeding much, god I miss when every cop car was a crown vic.

The variety of unmarked cars is increasing as police gear gets smaller and lighter. This is why I commend a Valentine One to interested parties. Even if you don’t speed, it is useful to know where traffic revenue generators enforcers are.

The VIN also changed.

And I thought the dealership that I bought the GTO from was incompetent...

And I thought the dealership that I bought the GTO from was incompetent...

I went with a friend to get a Chevy Bolt 2 years ago. They had one in stock and they told her "you don't want one of those", turned and walked away. Went to another salesdrone and she said "we aren't allowed to sell the one we have", and she walked away. We then went to the sales manager and he was surprised to know they had one in stock. He then wanted a 5% premium on the sticker price.

This was a guaranteed sale. Color and options did not matter, but she was not a stooge.

We went to another dealer and were asked one question, "do you mean the hybrid or the EV" and were then shown the cars they had in stock(both of them). She drove the blue one home.

The first dealer failed with every opportunity. I never recommend that dealer, but will the second without hesitation.

The VIN also changed.

This is some dedication.

This is some dedication.

Now we're getting somewhere.

We're pushing for delivery tomorrow. At which time we'll never speak to this damned dealership ever again.

Warranty and recall work at another dealer, maintenance at... Well, I'm going to call a Subaru speed shop in the neighborhood tomorrow and see if they'll do basic maintenance on an Ascent, because no other dealers are particularly convenient, but really, in the timeframe involved we're looking at a grand total of
5 oil changes
5 tire rotations
3 cabin filters
1 air filter

And lease or no lease, those cabin filters are being changed at home.

Last edited:
The variety of unmarked cars is increasing as police gear gets smaller and lighter. This is why I commend a Valentine One to interested parties. Even if you don’t speed, it is useful to know where traffic revenue generators enforcers are.
I’m with you on that, should always know where 5-0 is hiding. Though they don’t always run radar and NY is evil, they have some traffic sensors/your speed is signs running Ka band

Speaking of crappy dealerships. My friends just bought a used Monster 696 from a couple that had two Ducatis and traded the other to a dealer. That dealer didn't spot that they had the wrong title for the traded bike, wrong year, wrong VIN, and wrong model -- and processed the trade. It was a real PITA for my friends to get the correct title.

Last edited:
Well, it's all signed. Except for some stuff they don't think they can take power of attorney on (LIKE THE DMV FORMS headdesk).

But she has keys and license plates. Doing the handoff ceremony now.

They figured out the VIN screwup.
They got two identically configured cars on the same truck with VINs 3 serial numbers apart.

They did dip into the Dealer Installed Accessories vault and throw $800 worth of extras on, though. So that's nice.

Last edited:
Saw this sadness on my trip today

cQp7mPP.jpg

I would absolutely love to know what the hell kind of math Progressive is using for this Ascent. The insurance rate is higher than the 60mo finance payment for buying the damned thing.

By my reckoning, that's only justified if they're figuring on a 100% chance of total loss in 5 years or 50% chance of at-fault double-total (i.e. obliterating the other car in a collision as well). And that's assuming literally zero depreciation.

Of course, basic insurance on a clapped out Honda also cost her more than it costs me to insure every damned stupid thing I own, so this might also be a "Having crummy credit history is expensive" thing.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to know what the hell kind of math Progressive is using for this Ascent. The insurance rate is higher than the 60mo finance payment for buying the damned thing.

By my reckoning, that's only justified if they're figuring on a 100% chance of total loss in 5 years or 50% chance of at-fault double-total (i.e. obliterating the other car in a collision as well). And that's assuming literally zero depreciation.

Of course, basic insurance on a clapped out Honda also cost her more than it costs me to insure every damned stupid thing I own, so this might also be a "Having crummy credit history is expensive" thing.
You should post this in funny maths thread

• Ford Mustang (I-15 near Beaver Utah - haven't seen it for years, probably because some cop wadded it)

Nope, theres still at least 1 rolling around. I think he's based out of Cedar. White with blue C stripe on the side.

I've also seen a blue with white stripe, but not for several years.

Guy seems to have a great deal of success though... I see him with someone pulled over about 3/4 of the time.

I must have been fortunate to miss him. I think the one I saw was gray or silver with a wide stripe down the center, but it was a pre-refresh 5th Gen - so probably getting a little old these days.

Kentucky and southern indiana along i65 will sometimes have a 5th gen mustang in either red or blue with heavy window tint. Easy to spot because why is a mustang in the median and the just sit with their radar on so you have time to react.