Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

@Blind_Io I’m going to subject everyone to my ugly mug. ?

I was just adding a bit to your point, that if you try to avoid stigma you basically gonna be walking everywhere.

Then you’re a hobo, obviously.

Porsche was on life support, extended by the initial success of the 986 Boxster, but by the time the Cayenne rolled around they were again in a heap of trouble.
I'm not claiming they weren't, I'm saying that they wouldn't have gone away, just woulda been part of VAG earlier.

(Oh, and although Porsche is part of VAG, guess who is the majority stakeholder of VAG? The Porsche family.)
That's because Porsche family owned VW since it's very inception, that's not really much of an argument for/against Cayenne.

Also:

McLaren is not analogous to Porsche, because they were not (until recently) earning their keep selling consumer vehicles. They were a racing outfit, that just happened to make one single “production” vehicle (just over 100 were ever made). Although Porsche went racing, its solvency was dependent on its consumer sales.
Point being that McLaren didn't disappear even though they sold no consumer vehicles. Porsche did quite a bit of racing as well did they not?
You are also forgetting that McLaren was/is a contract manufacturer.
Ibiza
Lada Samara
Clio V6
500E
RS2
V-rod
Porsche’s financial straits was because they tried to buy VW and failed at it. Really their own fault.
I think that was post Cayenne though.

How about the Suzuki Kizashi? Seems interesting but I've never driven one.

I recall it being a beloved-by-Rick choice at the time, but the market ran the hell away from it. I also recall it being competent but not significantly better than the competition at the time - not enough to save Suzuki Cars USA.

I remember seeing a few around DFW, but they're all gone now.

Had a smiliar experience with a Ford dealer here in MA. Pulled in with my friend in his 340i. Got laughed at for trying to drive a Focus RS. When asked to drive a new Mustang GT, we were instead offered an older model with a PVC pipe for a shifter - literally.
Yeah I literally have a ford dealer <1 mile from my house. I went to do test drives a few years ago (pre st fiesta) and got laughed at for wanting to test drive a mustang.

Honestly at the time I assumed it was sexism because like, I am a tiny girl who showed up in a beetle. I don't LOOK like your average person looking for a sports car. But maybe it is a problem with ford dealers in general and if that is the case I am very unsurprised they are cutting the cars from their line up given apparently no one is allowed to test drive them. I didn't even attempt to test drive the st fiesta because clearly they didn't want my money.

I had the same experience with a local Ford dealer as well which is why I ended up with VW. I asked about a Focus ST, they brought it to the service garage so I could see it in the light, asked if I could drive it and was told they didn’t want to put miles on a car if I wasn’t serious.

Y'all need the one true savior of parsh now and forevermore, a good-ass Cayenne. Boxsters are good. Cayennes are good. Hell, all parsh are good so long as they make you happy. Anyone who judges you for enjoying excellent parsh bliss (as is the default state of I Have A Good Parsh) can gargle diarrhea water.

I'm getting a test Bullitt the week after next, FWIW, in case any Texans wanna come down to Austin and poke around at it. It's insane that the dealers are this uptight about the cars.

Honestly we were all trying to forget the Suzuki Verona.

vV39zSv.gif

Wait until you find out what I'm considering as a Forte replacement in a year or so....

Wait until you find out what I'm considering as a Forte replacement in a year or so....

We haven't been able to make fun of you in a long time, so tell us.

:tease:

I'm getting a test Bullitt the week after next, FWIW, in case any Texans wanna come down to Austin and poke around at it. It's insane that the dealers are this uptight about the cars.

Hot damn!