Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There is no more interesting discussions going on that don't immediately get torn to shreds by the holy trinity of Level, Spectre and prizrak.

To recap, this time it wasn't Cellos's going incandescent with rage for Jalopnik saying the radiator cap of a Fiat was somewhat leaky or LeV name-calling over guns/politics.

As for the "holy trinity", they don't seem to post much anymore. So D-Fence is not the only one tired of this.

...even LeVel with the harebrained news from youtube at least seems passionate in his youthful naivity.

I met @LeVeL briefly about seven years ago, I have skyped with @Spectre more times than I can count and @prizrak sounds like a decent dude as well - guys, can't you see you are killing the very community you are part of, one keyboard warrior I-am-superior-to-you-all post at a time?
Haven't checked this thread in a while but yikes - my name sure has come up a lot.

The political subforum has been a dumpster fire for a long time, which is why I've stopped posting there (yet people still continue to tag me in it). The rest of the forum has mostly been fine, imho, even though some political BS seeps in once in a while. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the hostility from the heated political discussions have become personal grudges. I try (and sometimes fail, I admit) not to make things personal outside of that political forum - for example, as @Dr_Grip mentioned, I've met him and I harbor no negativity whatsoever towards him personally. That said, I wouldn't even consider going to ring meet, for example, knowing that it would get downright nasty towards me on a personal level (the very first post on the 2019 ring meet thread is political against conservatives, for fuck's sake).

The forum has become nasty and hostile. It didn't used to be like that, not even when I (stupidly and immaturely) got @thevictor390 's original RX8 thread closed (for which I've apologized to him personally), we seemed to move on from that. We don't move on anymore. For example, I haven't been part of this discussion until this post and yet look at the name-calling and accusations I quoted above. I've honestly thought about creating a new profile and starting here from scratch. It sucks - I used to consider myself part of this community but nowadays I just can't be bothered to devote time to the site when I know that anything I post will be met with some sort of personal attack or, at best, sarcasm. Hell, I can't even post a dashcam video of someone almost hitting me without someone accusing me of wrongdoing. Many of you might feel the same way about me but I'm not really interested in getting into yet another finger-pointing match about it, so I've stopped posting for the most part and I just browse and read.

I'm glad Alex can't see this shit. By the way, do we even have any moderators anymore?

Except this is not a political discussion so a PhD in politics is about as relevant as my BS in business administration or Jim's MD for that matter.

Wait a minute, I thought you were a big city engineer?

Also I'd like to point out that the good doctor has mentioned he has a PhD twice in a post, if we really wanna talk about "air of superiority"

You are beyond salvation, I fear.
He cited it the first time to exemplify how much his life has changed and the second time to explain why he was doing that, AND YET you choose the reaction of "NO, YOU'RE A TOWEL."
We all come ftom different parts of the world, with different opinions and different worldviews. We are bound to disagree but this whole discussion is pointless when one side plainly refuses to see there's anything wrong.
To whoever changed this thread to "Dumpster fire", I owe you a beer. Please come forward.

Except this is not a political discussion so a PhD in politics is about as relevant as my BS in business administration or Jim's MD for that matter.

See, this is probably the crux of the matter: it is a political discussion. It's 2019.
EVERYTHING is a political discussion.

Just because it's not stated as blatantly as "I AM A REPUBLICAN, YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT, WE ARE MORTAL ENEMIES FOREVER", does not make it not a political discussion. And it's his particular set of skills (hello, Mr. Neeson) that lets him deciphre every day speech and see through the bullshit a lot more readily than you and me would.

(the very first post on the 2019 ring meet thread is political against conservatives, for fuck's sake).

Wait, what?

You mean this?

"And if you're wondering about the title: I can already confirm at least 3 Texans showing up, and for all I care they're running away from their Commander-in-chief, the Donald :p"

See, this is probably the crux of the matter: it is a political discussion. It's 2019.
It shouldn't be. I have good friends who voted for Trump, Clinton, Sanders, Johnson - so what? With some of them I'm able to have a civil political discussion and agree to disagree; with others I simply avoid politics altogether. Why do differences in political opinion need to infiltrate discussions on other topics? Sure, I've been guilty of that before but it's ironic that others that do it specifically called me out for it in this conversation.

Wait, what?

You mean this?

"And if you're wondering about the title: I can already confirm at least 3 Texans showing up, and for all I care they're running away from their Commander-in-chief, the Donald :p"
Yes.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, I thought you were a big city engineer?
I am but my degree is Management Info Systems, which is considered a business degree.
He cited it the first time to exemplify how much his life has changed and the second time to explain why he was doing that, AND YET you choose the reaction of "NO, YOU'RE A TOWEL."
No my reaction is that of someone being accused of something he doesn't believe to be true. Again you would call me acting superior, which I haven't seen any evidence of so far btw. Yet I don't tout my accomplishments here at all.
Maybe to you it is, to me it isn't, I try very hard to keep my political opinions outside of the political forum and to not let the disagreements in that section to cause any personal malice towards members I disagree with.
this whole discussion is pointless when one side plainly refuses to see there's anything wrong.
Yes I agree, though we likely disagree which side it is...
Just because it's not stated as blatantly as "I AM A REPUBLICAN, YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT, WE ARE MORTAL ENEMIES FOREVER", does not make it not a political discussion.
The fact that it is not discussing policy of any kind makes it not a political discussion. This is a sociological discussion.

Last edited:

Wait, what?

You mean this?

hmmm

It shouldn't be. I have good friends who voted for Trump, Clinton, Sanders, Johnson - so what? With some of them I'm able to have a civil political discussion and agree to disagree; with others I simply avoid politics altogether. Why do differences in political opinion need to infiltrate discussions on other topics? Sure, I've been guilty of the before but it's ironic that others that do it

Yes.
I wish it wasn't, honestly, but nowadays people are on edge.

Also, lighten up. People far worse than you ( like @Terrex) attend Ringmeet regularly and even though they have terrible political views, we still haven't had any fistfights (that one time wasn't about politics!).

In case it isn't clear: I am joking. We are all behind keyboards. Face to face we would be sharing food and drinks and having the same discussion, but the conversation would be much more civilized.

(See post above)

In case it isn't clear: I am joking. We are all behind keyboards. Face to face we would be sharing food and drinks and having the same discussion, but the conversation would be much more civilized.
Agreed! There's been a discussion about Woodward for 2020 and I wouldn't hesitate to share a beer with, say, @Dr_Grip or @Blind_Io

This seems like a good place to draw a line under it and get back to normal automotive discussion, with everyone being a bit more considerate of the direction their post could take the thread and how it relates to the post that started the 'chain' of discussion. Along with that we should try to not take things too seriously and do our best to minimise political content.

There's absolutely nobody here I have personal beef with and given the chance I'd share a beer with all of you.

Kat's busted intercooler sucks, hope it gets sorted soon.

Edit: I feel like I should plant a seed of normal discussion so here’s one, feel free to ignore it: I’m planning to sell the Smart but I’m not sure when to do it, anyone had experience of selling a soft top on the wrong side of summer? Don’t want to lose my arse.

Last edited:
The plan to sell the Palio is underway.
Today I got back my wheels. Now all straight and repainted. New tires too.
Next week, it's bodyshop time to fix all the nicks and scracthes.

Loaner wheels:

Refurbished wheels:

Six years and 102.000km of trouble-free motoring.
I will miss you.

Stupid question... what’s a Palio?
It's this supercute little fiat based on the platform of the Mk.2 Panda. Relatively sturdy thing for its size. Originally a world car but ended up being a brazil-only thing in its last ge

It looks like this

paliosporting.jpg

Sidenote: We need the Group hug pic

It's this supercute little fiat based on the platform of the Mk.2 Panda. Relatively sturdy thing for its size. Originally a world car but ended up being a brazil-only thing in its last ge

It looks like this

paliosporting.jpg

Sidenote: We need the Group hug pic
Thanks! I kinda dig it’s face actually

I feel like I should plant a seed of normal discussion so here’s one, feel free to ignore it: I’m planning to sell the Smart but I’m not sure when to do it, anyone had experience of selling a soft top on the wrong side of summer? Don’t want to lose my arse.

?