Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Anything over 70 requires WOT since I added my roof rack, bumpers, armor, and off road tires.

I'm looking forward to this...

Anything over 70 requires WOT since I added my roof rack, bumpers, armor, and off road tires.

I don't think that would pass Nissan's drivability metric sign-offs.

I don't think that would pass Nissan's drivability metric sign-offs.

Well, considering the X starts off life well over 4000lbs, he's probably about 5500lbs now on the same power rating.

Time to call Stillen and buy the blower kit or VH45DE/VK56DE swap it!

Well, considering the X starts off life well over 4000lbs, he's probably about 5500lbs now on the same power rating.

4600lbs curb! Agree on blower, but I don’t understand the or part :p

4600lbs curb! Agree on blower, but I don’t understand the or part :p

If you want to keep the stock hood, etc., from what I have read and seen you can either put a blower on the stock V6 or swap in an NA VH/VK. The blowers offered for the V8 don't fit unless you start cutting fenders, chopping the hood, etc., at least in installations I've seen.

Also, that's almost a thousand pounds heavier than my 4Runner at 3710lbs. The 4WD version is 3975.

If you want to keep the stock hood, etc., from what I have read and seen you can either put a blower on the stock V6 or swap in an NA VH/VK. The blowers offered for the V8 don't fit unless you start cutting fenders, chopping the hood, etc., at least in installations I've seen.

Also, that's almost a thousand pounds heavier than my 4Runner at 3710lbs. The 4WD version is 3975.
That engine bay is pretty tight, maybe small centrifugal could fit but def not positive displacement.

Yeah it’s rather hefty but remember there are 11 years worth of health and safety between our two cars so that might explain the weight differential.

That engine bay is pretty tight, maybe small centrifugal could fit but def not positive displacement.

Yeah it’s rather hefty but remember there are 11 years worth of health and safety between our two cars so that might explain the weight differential.

Not really - Nissan offroad SUVs have always tended to be heavy. My 90 Pathfinder V6 SE 4x4 Autotragic was just over 4100 with no factory/dealer accessories and full fluids. The comparable 4Runner was ~3700lbs with the automatic. The R50 Pathfinder that's my 4R's contemporary is 4157lbs despite the weight savings of the change to unibody construction (this is why it's called the 'caR50'.)

The flip side of that is that the Nissan SUVs tend to be generally sturdier; apparently Nissan sturdified, then added mass. No front ends cracking off there! (See: 4Runner based FJ Cruiser.)

People who have done forced induction on the VQ40 have had problems, a local guy was one of the first and he blew the motor. I would love a VK56 swap with the Titan swapped suspension and brakes, but I'm not putting that kind of money into a car worth $5K.

EDIT: The last time I weighed the X I was at 5,400#. Remember that it shares a chassis with the Titan - which is why it and the Frontier don't fold in half like the lighter-weight Tacoma. It's also why Toyota is taking a page from Nissan with the next Tacoma and having it share a chassis with the Tundra.

People who have done forced induction on the VQ40 have had problems, a local guy was one of the first and he blew the motor. I would love a VK56 swap with the Titan swapped suspension and brakes, but I'm not putting that kind of money into a car worth $5K.

EDIT: The last time I weighed the X I was at 5,400#. Remember that it shares a chassis with the Titan - which is why it and the Frontier don't fold in half like the lighter-weight Tacoma. It's also why Toyota is taking a page from Nissan with the next Tacoma and having it share a chassis with the Tundra.
Would a VK56 even fit?

The turbo ones blow up pretty fast, but the Stillen supercharger kit plus a tune biased a bit to the rich side will be generally safe for the engine. Upper limit is about 8psi or so IIRC. Run 12+ psi as with most turbo setups and it'll blow through the ring lands in no time flat.

It's been done, and it's badass. There is a Titan Swapped X here in Utah with a VK56 - Fat Bob's Garage does the swap and they were the first to figure out how to make the Xterra computer talk to the Titan brakes without losing it's shit.

The answer is a factory V8 Pathfinder. :D

The answer is a factory V8 Pathfinder. :D

Nods

Then again, that involves building all the offroad bits from scratch.

The turbo ones blow up pretty fast, but the Stillen supercharger kit plus a tune biased a bit to the rich side will be generally safe for the engine. Upper limit is about 8psi or so IIRC. Run 12+ psi as with most turbo setups and it'll blow through the ring lands in no time flat.
I couldn't find a kit on their site, is it just the 350/37z kit?

The answer is a factory V8 Pathfinder.
They went unibody and are generally terrible :(
It's been done, and it's badass. There is a Titan Swapped X here in Utah with a VK56 - Fat Bob's Garage does the swap and they were the first to figure out how to make the Xterra computer talk to the Titan brakes without losing it's shit.
/me looks up how long the drive to Utah is

Guess wife gonna have to drive the kids in the Mustang for a bit :p

Small lift kits are available, the front can use any Frontier parts. Rear bumper and rock sliders should be easy to fab something up. What else do we need?

E-locker for the rear, I think.