Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'm genuinely intrigued....

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/3VWCD21Y24M302651/?referrer_id=autotempest

Not that I would buy a New Beetle unless it was a weird diesel manual type...

I'm not sure what it is but current VW is actually quite good. At least if you stick to the Golf. Having a MK7 GTI and MK7 alltrack, I genuinely like these cars. There's enough torque for in-town use and really good highway comfort as well as fuel efficiency. I guess I'm not looking for much in cars anymore as I've gotten older despite my longing for some sort of Porsche later on. After seeing a recent SavageGeese video on the Ford Explorer, and having driven a few GM and FCA vehicles in rental fleets, VW is the right amount of "good" for the price. All I've ever looked for in a car is to just do things and not make an art form of it. For my tastes, VW is it for the moment. Some have said German cars are boring and some will single out VW in perticular to which I disagree as Toyota and Honda have the German brands beat as far as "good dullness" is concerned as Japanese brands have a whole new level of "it just works" dullness that I think German brands have yet to achieve.

What is Ford doing these days anyways?

This post brought to you by an afternoon of beer. :|

We like the new Explorer minus that damn grill which is barely tolerable IMO when blacked out like on the ST. The grill and the asinine infotainment screen mounted in the derp position are probably going to drive us to get the Aviator when we get rid of our Edge.

skft-8c52641aeac1ed7964c23ef05ea95e64.jpg

what the hell is this?

Now that Gordon Murray is resurrecting the marque, I think it’s safe to say that in the current climate if TVR ever puts out another car called the Chimera it will be a hybrid.

Uggh, Mustang started grinding going into 5th though inconsistently, really hope it’s just some loose bolts/bushings on the linkage and not the stupid mt82 being, well a pos that it is.

Is there a specific site that is good for buying like 30 headlight bulbs and fuses <_<

I just did 30km/h across someone's yard. Literally, and completely legally too. The speed limit is 80, but there's no way in hell unless you're Juha Kankkunen. :D

Yes, this place has some old roads that the road authorities seem to have forgotten exist. This one probably predates the horseless carriage by a century.

The road along Kyrö-river that starts near Kvevlax and ends in Ylistaro? Fits the descirption in few spots.

I remember posting that road in the old "secret driving roads" subforum.

The road along Kyrö-river that starts near Kvevlax and ends in Ylistaro? Fits the descirption in few spots.

I remember posting that road in the old "secret driving roads" subforum.
I know exactly which road you mean and I know the western bit of it really well. The one that runs parallel to it on the other side of the river too.

But no, it’s not that one. ?

I also posted the Mullola road near Vähäkyrö to the secret driving roads and recently found it on an old rally video.

The road should still look the same, only the section in Vähäkyrö (first 30 seconds) has been paved over.

The Ascona is barely breaking the speed limit. :ROFLMAO:

(5:09-8:52)

I drove this last night. It's really made me appreciate how refined all my cars are...

83385420_518984765637916_1620509087974293504_n.jpg

Changing gear was insane, it felt like the entire gearbox was just full of elastic bands. Engaging reverse put the gear knob several inches into the driver's seat... The engine was sweet though, despite the fact the clutch was utterly fucked (wouldn't disengage and slipping).

I drove this last night. It's really made me appreciate how refined all my cars are...

View attachment 3556894

Changing gear was insane, it felt like the entire gearbox was just full of elastic bands. Engaging reverse put the gear knob several inches into the driver's seat... The engine was sweet though, despite the fact the clutch was utterly fucked (wouldn't disengage and slipping).

I think this is the first time I've heard of an old British car as being refined. :)

Jag has been building pretty refined cars for decades.

Not necessarily reliable, but certainly refined. Remember that Rolls Royce and Bentley, two name synonymous with refinement and luxury were British until they became German.

Jag has been building pretty refined cars for decades.

Not necessarily reliable, but certainly refined. Remember that Rolls Royce and Bentley, two name synonymous with refinement and luxury were British until they became German.

All fair points but The Captain does not have those vehicles which is what I was referring to.

I think this is the first time I've heard of an old British car as being refined. :)
When compared to smol French cars they are... I'd say in terms of British motoring the Visa would be closest to a 1950s Morris Minor in terms of noise and performance but the build and material quality was far lower.

The Doloshite is more refined than a small Ford/Vauxhall/etc of the era in a similar price bracket, but nothing in those classes compare to US cars, the difference in markets is too vast.
I drove a '66 Galaxie a while ago and despite it being utterly fucked it was a different class of car entirely in terms of comfort and refinement. Of course it also handled like garbage, didn't fit in a McDonald's parking space and was getting a giddy 18mpg... It actually belongs to the same guy that owns the Visa...

IMG_20200116_140904.jpg.ecfdb362525de486668248a4043ea0d7.jpg

Wow! Calling @NotLaw to defend the Galaxie.

Oh come on now, in its day I'm sure it was fine. ;)

It's okay, between an antiquated Ford barge with leaf springs and what the Cap'n considers more refined, I know what I would want.